BIG NEWS (Performing Art Center, etc.)

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Eternal Member
Default BIG NEWS (Performing Art Center, etc.)

This just came into my inbox.

Mark Morse wrote a letter to Janet Tutt today proposing an interlocal agreement among the developer, VCCDD and the AAC to establish a performing arts center at Spanish Springs. The Developer would contribute the Church on the Square and adjacent property for renovations. He also proposed modifications to the Church on the Square and offered the box office operations for the art center along with the management contract. The change in position of the Developer on a PAA is a result of resident interest in the project. Details should be in the morning paper.

Morse also offered land for expansion of the lawn bowling/croquet courts at Rio Grande, and land suitable for a dog park south of CR466.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Wow, they were right when they said, "Even a zCaveman Can Do It!"

You sure know how to give us the up-to-the-minute, wonderful news. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

This is very good news! (if your cup is half full). It says Mr. Morse is willing to listen and contribute to well planned and articulated resident requests.

I've never met Mr. Morse, but I suggested months ago that he would contribute toward building a new performing arts center if we residents were to put together a solid, practical plan. I have to assume that the committee working on this project has done just that, and they deserve a pat on the back.

Whatever the details and hurdles left to be overcome, allow me to make a toast...

"To all of us. May we continue to work together to make important community improvements!"
Old 10-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Platinum member

My problem with Church on the Square is its lack of stadium seating. (Unfortunately, I"m not getting any taller.) Would this be a new theater?
Tampa, FL
Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Default Am I Missing Something?

Why is this such "BIG NEWS" but when the Moffitt Cancer Center was announced, the Morses were accused of just being greedy once more with profit as their motive for bringing it here?

I guess I just don't understand the priorities of entertainment over health. Why all the praise for this and skepticism over the other because they don't want to foot the whole bill?

I'm not trying to be tacky, but just trying to understand the upset over the new health facility and yet the elation over an arts center. Both will only make this an even better place than it already is.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Only a few had questions regarding the cancer center financing; I wouldn't describe that as upset regarding the project as a whole.

Both projects are positive undertakings.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Depends

After reading the artical in todays Sun there's a large amont of money due for renovations. According to the article on the Moffit Center there's a large amount of money needed to furnish that project. I guess if you favor medical improvements your in favor of the Hospital. If your want entertainment you'll favor the Performing Arts. As for what I read it would appear that the districts would be coming up with the money for the Arts Center. As for myself I favor the Hospital. JMO.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default To each his own on their respective priorities. The real issue(s)

will come down to where will the money for completion of the center come from and when?
Then once and if the center becomes an ongoing concern, what are the requirements for generating sufficient revenues to maintain a viable entity?
If there is a short fall where will the additional funding come from?

When all gets said and done the operational funding of the center at a successful level (or not) will fall mostly to the residents of TV. That could be in the form of ticket pricing, memberships, increased amenity fees or special assessments. All to often these types of projects take on a life of their own with not enough attention being paid to the forecast models for viable operations.

I do not think the project would get a majority vote of support if the residents of TV would become aware there could be increased amenity fees to make it work.

Please if you are in favor of the project...UNDERSTAND... the financials, impacts and requirements for successful ongoing operations. They are almost ALWAYS under played or insufficient.

btk
Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
will come down to where will the money for completion of the center come from and when?
Then once and if the center becomes an ongoing concern, what are the requirements for generating sufficient revenues to maintain a viable entity?
If there is a short fall where will the additional funding come from?

When all gets said and done the operational funding of the center at a successful level (or not) will fall mostly to the residents of TV. That could be in the form of ticket pricing, memberships, increased amenity fees or special assessments. All to often these types of projects take on a life of their own with not enough attention being paid to the forecast models for viable operations.

I do not think the project would get a majority vote of support if the residents of TV would become aware there could be increased amenity fees to make it work.

Please if you are in favor of the project...UNDERSTAND... the financials, impacts and requirements for successful ongoing operations. They are almost ALWAYS under played or insufficient.

btk
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A performing arts center would be wonderful. It could also be a Trojan Horse.
Most of these kinds of facilities require continuing subsidies from government or continual fund raising efforts. In many cases they work for a while when new and then public interest in providing financial support wanes.

I would think that we should have an open mind, but be clear about ongoing operational costs and how they will be funded over the long run. It may be that Villagers will be willing to provide support in the form of ongoing subsidies and ticket prices ,however, this concept needs a good deal of study.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
I'd rather have the medical facility over the performing arts center also. This has been a bone of contention for my wife and I for years. She's a nurse and has had to listen to people complain about having to pay a fee when going to see a Dr., but these same people won't blink an eye at spending $100-$200 to go to a NASCAR race or a football game or something like that. They complain about a Dr. making $100-$200K per year, but applaud an athelete making ten times that. It just doesn't make a bit of sense. Maybe I just can't see something.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

I agree with above posters for the need for due dilligence on future funding. It is worth noting that in the announcement in todays Daily Sun, Morse also proposed entering into a three-party agreement of the VCCDD, SumterLanding Community Development District and the developer to pledge continued support for the center.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Wherever I have lived performing arts centers always seem to have financial problems and they are always looking for "community partnerships" for financial support. Within a reasonable drive of The Villages you can go to the Sarasota Opera House, the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, The Hylton Performing Arts Center in Gainesville, numerous attractions in Orlando and undoubtedly many other places I don't know about. If we have a PAC in The Villages can I still go see Chubby Checker and Peter Noone for under $30 and will we still be able to see good local talent for $10.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Sage

I also would like to know more about the financial arrangement and inter-local agreement.

That said, I can see how a performing arts center in TV could potentially be profitable. 100,000+ retired people with golf-cart access, time and disposable income-- virtually all of whom moved to TOTV for it's amenities and entertainment-- is a promising demographic.

I haven't been on TOTV in a few weeks, so excuse me if this is old news, but it's also interesting to me that Mark Morse rather than Gary is the voice on this. I wonder how much of the actual leadership and decision making is starting to pass down to the next generation.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

I applaud The Developer's offer for a Performing Arts Center (PAC). But,

1) the Church on the Square is relatively small

2) parking in that vicinity, whether automobile or golf cart, is abominable

3) Town Square activities could well interfere with events at a PAC

4) a venue less tied to TV may be a wise idea, at this point

I will await reaction from the newly appointed board of PALMS.

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.