Good-bye

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
Sure sounds wonderful! I think a majority of us were afraid to uproot and start over again! I wish you and your wife much happiness in your new adventures!
Don't be fooled by the comments of one poster, "listen"to the 98,000 people who live here and do not post on TOTV
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 AM

enjoyed austin a few years. i checked the web site and it looks interesting. one thing i noticed in looking at homes is that it appears the land is leased. any info on that? considering the three day stay just to check it out.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Homes in Sun City TX are not on leased land. We lived in SCTX. We owned the land.
The worst part about TX is the high property tax. There is no income tax so they have to get their money from some source. The property tax is a little over 2%. We had a $270,000 home on a golf course and paid $6000 property tax.

Andercat

Last edited by andercat; 03-30-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
Homes in Sun City TX are not on leased land. We lived in SCTX. We owned the land.
The worst part about TX is the high property tax. There is no income tax so they have to get their money from some source. The property tax is a little over 2%. We had a $270,000 home on a golf course and paid $6000 property tax.

Andercat
That is about $2000 higher than it would be here. Add the $5000 for the unlimited golf for 2 package and SCRX does not look like a real bargain. That $7000 a year is enough to finance a mortgage of $130000. So if you played golf and wanted to purchase a $175,000 home in SCTX, for the same outlay you could purchase a 305,000 home in TV where the sale of new homes is booming, not stagnant.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Pretty soon the baby boomers will have to find somewhere else to go.

We will be "all fulled up" as my granddaughter used to say.

I wish the leftover people who won't find room at this inn will have just as much fun and happiness and new adventures and new friendships somewhere else nice as we are having here.

I hope Ole Dave loves it but then changes his mind and moves here. I was hoping to meet him in person and call him friend.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I also hope that Ole Dave continues to communicate through this site. I like the way he looks at life and I wish him good health and much happiness in his new venue.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Don't be fooled by the comments of one poster, "listen"to the 98,000 people who live here and do not post on TOTV
You do not have to convince me...I am one of those 100,000 lucky ones that live here in paradise year round for over a year now! No place like TV!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
I haven't been posting anything lately because we have moved our search for our retirement dream to Texas. I won't bother with listing the reasons.

After considering a dozen places in Florida, including TV, and a half dozen places in Texas, and discarding Arizona because it's too hot and too dry. You'd almost think it's a desert. We will be moving to Sun City Texas next year.

Before I go I wanted to take a few minutes to say goodbye to the wonderful people I've met on TOTV. Many of you have really been great friends and a great resource and support group for me for the past year. I will never forget your kindness. I just want you to know how very much I appreciate you all.

I feel like I should say something to the few other people here who I've taken issue with on occasion. However, I cannot think of a positive way to do it, so I'll just say goodbye to one and all and wish you all the very best.

Dave
Alot of people do not know that the original founder of TV got his inspiration to build a 55+, golf communityhere in Central Fla. from Sun City, so you are making a good decision. Best Wishes and enjoy!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsterdad View Post
enjoyed austin a few years. i checked the web site and it looks interesting. one thing i noticed in looking at homes is that it appears the land is leased. any info on that? considering the three day stay just to check it out.
I have only visited Austin on my drive to the Tampa Bay area in 1996 or so. Looks like a nice place to live with access to more cultural events than what is available near the Villages. Of course, I would assume that the Tampa Bay area, Orlando, and Gainesville also have similar kind of arts.

I do miss the museums and theaters of Chicago, Minneapolis, and the San Francisco area from the times while I lived in those areas.

Good luck to you Old Dave in Texas.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Sage

OldDave;

Here's wishing you find happines in Sun City, Tx. :smiey:

I was hoping you ould move to TV at the same time I did but it seems like you weighed all your options and carefully thought it out. Happy wife, happy life is the most important thing.

I wish you would keep posting you informative well reasoned posts. Maybe someday, you will move to TV?

Good Luck.

Joe

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson View Post
Alot of people do not know that the original founder of TV got his inspiration to build a 55+, golf communityhere in Central Fla. from Sun City, so you are making a good decision. Best Wishes and enjoy!
Del Webb would be proud at being that inspiration however not so happy at what Pulte has done to his brand. Webb was certainly the originator and would sell out everything he built just like the Villages. Not so under Pulte. Their business model is flawed. Too bad you don't find out until you buy one of those " looks to be cheaper" resales. What sone fail to understand is that the Morses revolutionized the over 55 industry and every other model pales by comparison. The competition are all just builders and land grabbers when the market is hot and when it is not, they collapse while the Morses merely slow down a little.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I plan on visiting Sun City, Texas and hope that Ole Dave keeps us posted on what he likes and does not like about it. SCT is close to Lake Georgetown, the town of Georgetown and 30 minutes from Austin which has good medical facilities and an airport which are important to me. I could care less about playing golf so I like it that only the golfers appear to be paying for golf there. Also they seem to have first class fitness centers and indoor pools which TV lacks. Are they sufficient for the size of the community?

Too, it gets colder in the winter and hotter in the summer there, at least July and August, but if the humidity is lower it would feel about the same as in TV in the summer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Gold member

i just love that Texas accent (yea right) and the way they they tell you everything is big in texas - good luck speak louder then them
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks, Old Dave, for sharing your views about Sun City. Well done (tactful and wise, as always!). Will miss your thoughtful posts, but enjoy your new life. Sounds like a great choice.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I plan on visiting Sun City, Texas and hope that Ole Dave keeps us posted on what he likes and does not like about it. SCT is close to Lake Georgetown, the town of Georgetown and 30 minutes from Austin which has good medical facilities and an airport which are important to me. I could care less about playing golf so I like it that only the golfers appear to be paying for golf there. Also they seem to have first class fitness centers and indoor pools which TV lacks. Are they sufficient for the size of the community?

Too, it gets colder in the winter and hotter in the summer there, at least July and August, but if the humidity is lower it would feel about the same as in TV in the summer.
Sounds like it could be place for you. Good luck. Just a couple of thoughts on the indoor pool.In my former Del Webb Community, they had to rip out the pool three times in ten years for three to four months at a time due to mold hidden in the walls. Residents were upset swimming in the building with hidden mold abd not knowimg it. Indoor pools and hot tubs are very difficult to maintain but perhaps in SCTX where the humidity is lower it is not so much a problem. Our indoor pool was not always accessable since it seemed to be used a lot by fee based activities like water aeoebics, also lap swimmers roped off one half of the pool etc. As it was we had only one indoor pool for 13,000 residents, about the same ratio as SCTX. Our state of the art fitness centers(2) were also very crowdedbut that seems to be the case no matter where you go. In the final analysis, we have to go where it suits us. If that means indoor pools or an IKEA store we have to go for it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.