Goodbye DirecTv

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Platinum member

We switched from Comcast to Direct TV two years ago and love Direct TV. The picture quality and ease of recording are the major features I like. We do experience brief outings in storms but usually changing to the non HD channels works. Both companies play the same game of raising rates after the intro offer and annually thereafter. We have Comcast for Internet and I had to call both companies in the same week to do the dance with rates. It is most annoying.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Sage

For many reasons, I dropped Directv a couple of years ago and switched to DISH. I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the picture. The NFL package is the only advantage Directv has over it's competitors but their service and pricing leaves a lot to be desired. IMHO

No holes in the roof as I paid to had the dish mounted outside my home.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Most business reward loyal customers. Cable and satellite TV companies punish them, with ever-increasing rates. Sometimes the only way to get a deal is to keep switching companies, and become a "new" customer ever other year. You just need to bite the bullet and switch. Most don't care if you threaten them with switching anymore. The good rates are for "new" customers only.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I love Directv, the DVR and the NFL Package, I couldn't live without them. I have never in 9 years received a telemarketing call from Directv.

I have Centurylink for phone and internet and I use to get telemarketing calls for their Prism TV and after the third time in 3 months, I said I want 'call block' added to my phone at no charge. They added it 2 days later.

Once I had a problem with my notebook computer, it started asking for a logon when I powered the computer on and I couldn't get past that page, and I never had a password. I called Centurylink and explained the problem to their internet tech support. They said for $15 a month we have technical support for all your connected computers. I thought about for a minute, and then they said, you can sign up today and cancel tomorrow. I said go ahead, they took control of my computer and I sat and watched as they moved the mouse around and fixed the problem, it took about 10 minutes. The next day I called and cancelled tech support and there was zero charges on my usual monthly Centurylink bill. In almost six years I've had zero problems with Centurylink and my bill has never changed from the original $59.99 a month.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM

We are going to give Comcast a try for a two-year contract at a set price. This will save us almost $80/month. If we cancel before that time, the fee is $10/month for the unused months. Also, 30-days to try without cancellation fee. Liked the fact that their DVR programs are stored in a cloud so a dead device won't cost us our saved programs again. The $400 gift card was pretty nice, too. It is hard to make a change and I appreciate the info you shared.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Spectrum user here, have triple play, NO contract, stable pricing and have NEVER had a service or billing issue.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-18-2017, 08:56 PM

I agree Gracie Girl. We had a different technical install the dish. It's almost directly across the street from our former home and the reception is great. We hardly ever lose the signal except when there are severe storms. The reception across the street was horrible...the technician does make a difference.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:12 AM

Have been a customer of Directv for nearly 20 yrs. Would not give it up.
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, amazon, programs, charge, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.