Goodwill Opening Near Walmart

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Default Goodwill Opening Near Walmart

Goodwill is opening near Walmart on Rt. 466. I recently read that they are a for profit company, unlike Salvation Army, which is a non-profit. I read that they take their better items and sell them online, allowing them to open new stores. Additionally, it was reported that disabled employees' wages were substantially below minimum wage through a special waiver. Does anyone have more information about any of this? I want to make sure I donate my things only to charitable organizations. Please help.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegamyheart View Post
Goodwill is opening near Walmart on Rt. 466. I recently read that they are a for profit company, unlike Salvation Army, which is a non-profit. I read that they take their better items and sell them online, allowing them to open new stores. Additionally, it was reported that disabled employees' wages were substantially below minimum wage through a special waiver. Does anyone have more information about any of this? I want to make sure I donate my things only to charitable organizations. Please help.
According to Wikipedia they are a non profit. Here is the information.

Goodwill Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AND Orange County Goodwill Industries in California has an online web site.

See here; http://www.shopgoodwill.com/help/AboutShopgoodwill.asp
Old 02-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Gold member

Goodwill runs adds on the tele......they say they help with job placement and with otherwise unemployable people.....Helps get people back on there feet...

Plus you might like my junk, and I might like yours.......Goodwill profits in the end....

I think its a good thing...

Old 02-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
. Additionally, it was reported that disabled employees' wages were substantially below minimum wage through a special waiver. Does anyone have more information about any of this? I want to make sure I donate my things only to charitable organizations. Please help.
quote from wikipedia---Goodwill Industries International Inc. is an American nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides job training, employment placement services, and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities. In addition, Goodwill Industries may hire veterans, individuals that lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill is funded by a massive network of retail thrift stores which operate as nonprofits as well. Goodwill's answer to its profit status is "As a unique hybrid called a social enterprise, we defy traditional distinctions. Instead of a single bottom line of profit, we hold ourselves accountable to a triple bottom line of people, planet, and performance."

A lot of the people that work at Goodwill are part of their job training and therefore may receive very little wages.
An example is the one that was in Fort Myers when I lived there in 1973 took old donated furniture that had a good frame and taught unemployed people how to refurbish and recover them. The result was they had a lot of vinyal covered furniture that all matched and people who had learned a trade. When I was first out of college my first apartment was full of the stuff.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Please tell us where you read this stuff__HMMMMMMMM
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
CAn you tell us where?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Default Goodwill - Watchdog.org

Here is something I found in searching myself. Policies, tax dollars enrich Goodwill execs « Watchdog.org

Something wrong here?
Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 AM

Goodwill is selling their better items online. There prices have increased a lot in the past few years. They may be listed as a non profit (because they hire and train employees that other companies might not hire) but don't donate directly or help others in need like Salvation Army, from my understanding. It has gotten to the point that in some cases, it costs less to go buy an item new rather than purchase at Goodwill due to unreasonable markups - but bargains still exist.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Well dang. I have a big pile of stuff destined for Goodwill and I am lookin' forward to their opening. I will probably enjoy poking around there like I do Bargains and Treasures. The wind took over a lamp on the lanai and I need to replace it.

Always someone burstin' my bubble.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Yes, Goodwill has changed over the years but their maim mission hasn't. They are still the premier job training/coaching organization nationally for the disabled and under priviliged. As a parent of a disabled son, Goodwill was the "employer" who provided the basic job skills that allowed my son to become an independent member of society! As an employer, I was able to have their employees do the repetitive assembly tasks that complemented my companies offerings to my customers that would have been outsourced to a foreign country.
Many years later, I still donate my unwanted items to them so they can continue their mission of job training/coaching. I hope you will too!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfjr View Post
Yes, Goodwill has changed over the years but their maim mission hasn't. They are still the premier job training/coaching organization nationally for the disabled and under priviliged. As a parent of a disabled son, Goodwill was the "employer" who provided the basic job skills that allowed my son to become an independent member of society! As an employer, I was able to have their employees do the repetitive assembly tasks that complemented my companies offerings to my customers that would have been outsourced to a foreign country.
Many years later, I still donate my unwanted items to them so they can continue their mission of job training/coaching. I hope you will too!
so the tele adds are correct, as I had thought.....I think its a great thing...... congratulations on your son leading a usefull life.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Platinum member

I feel that Goodwill is a great organization. Yes, they might pay under minimum wage for some jobs, but they also educate and retrain individuals who perhaps can go out into the public sector to work.

I have been watching the building going up. Isn't it a beautiful structure? So happy it's not just a big metal warehouse.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

About two years ago, I stopped taking my donations to Goodwill because of similar concerns people in this thread posted. There are other good organizations around that are more than happy to receive your donations.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Twenty five years ago I ran a company in Hagerstown Md. We hired a young man who was totally deaf and unable to speak who was taught basic work skills at GW. He had been working for free with our company as part of his learning process. After his training was finished, we hired him to sort, pick up and deliver mai(a created job)l within our offices. He was enthusiastic about coming to work each morning so that he was able to earn a few bucks and have the social interplay, often limited for physically and mentally challenged individuals. We paid him a bit above minium wage which was more than his economic value to the company as we could easily have absorbed these activities into the duties of others.
I too am skeptical about high salaries for those who run charities. Another view is that charities need to attract people with similar skill levels to those in comparable jobs with "for Profit" enterprises. Each local GW has an independent board of directors who should be setting and carefully monitoring compensation.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water- IMHO Goodwill does very good work.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
This is true. One charity 100 % legit is The Salvation Army.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.