Got Air Conditioning? If you have an older AC unit (say, north of 466), you're ---'d

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Default Got Air Conditioning? If you have an older AC unit (say, north of 466), you're ---'d

EPA is essentially making it illegal to use R22 refrigerant, which is what a lot of older AC units use. When you're R22 AC starts to leak, the AC contractors will probably tell you "Sorry, you have to replace your system -- that'll be $6000 please."

There must be a lot of R22 systems in TV.

The justification for this is a 70s issue called "ozone depletion", and so-called "holes in the 'ozone layer'. Well, for anyone willing to do a little critical thinking, there are a lot of "holes" in the ozone depletion argument itself. I invite you to contemplate them when informed of the cost of the new AC system you'll be forced to purchase.

Holes in the ozone argument:

1) Freon is heavier than air: how do molecules heavier than air get to 30,000 feet (the beginning of the stratosphere?

2) The "hole" in the ozone over the South Pole was "discovered" by satellites in the '80: if it was just "discovered", how do we know IT WASN'T THERE ALL ALONG ? ? ? ?

3) There is a perfectly logical reason why there is less ozone over the polar regions: THERE IS LESS SUNLIGHT THERE TO PRODUCE OZONE IN THE FIRST PLACE, especially in winter ("land of the midnight sun...") duhhh....

4) Antarctica (South Pole) has the highest average elevation of ANY continent (8000 ft): Does that have any effect on ozone quantity????? (The North Pole is all at sea level and there is no ozone "hole" there. (Why not?)

5) The offending atom is CHLORINE (!), not CFCs themselves. The argument goes that the CFCs carry CHLORINE up to the stratosphere. There are other compounds of chlorine in the atmosphere -- that's one of the things you smell when you go to the beach --> "salt water" --> i.e. sodium-chloride. Is the ocean a source of "ozone depleting" chlorine compounds?

I hope the public is beginning to see how idiotic this ozone scam-bullying is. Try getting a copy of the "paper" that started all this cr*p -- you can't, unless you pay for it.

The Ozone Scam
The Ozone Scam - YouTube

The Nonsense That is Ozone-Depletion
The Nonsense That is Ozone-Depletion by K Ring (2009)

Last edited by Back9; 02-23-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll bring this up at the next meeting of the Flat Earth Society.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll bring this up at the next meeting of the Flat Earth Society.

1) Are you denying that R22 AC systems will be forced to replace?

2) Can you provide convincing refutations of the 5 points raised? (Not to mention those mentioned in the article and video?)

Old 02-23-2020, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Chuck is a better deal than $6000.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
chuck is a better deal than $6000.
?

Old 02-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had a fan blower go out last year on my 2011 A/C unit and had Chuck Farrell replace it, $175 parts and labor. When he was here, I asked him if my unit had the wrong freon and he said, I was OK. I had heard about the freon problem a couple of years ago. BTW, Chuck will install a new A/C for about $4,000. Here's some info on the freon.

Is Your Air Conditioning System Going to Be Obsolete Soon? - Clark Howard
Old 02-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Platinum member

I blame the ruminants.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had a fan blower go out last year on my 2011 A/C unit and had Chuck Farrell replace it, $175 parts and labor. When he was here, I asked him if my unit had the wrong freon and he said, I was OK. I had heard about the freon problem a couple of years ago. BTW, Chuck will install a new A/C for about $4,000. Here's some info on the freon.

Is Your Air Conditioning System Going to Be Obsolete Soon? - Clark Howard
What I'm hearing is that
1) prices of R22 are now astronomical.

2) contractors are refusing to replenish or "retrofit". They're telling you to get a new system.

Note: R410 systems:
- higher pressure/more complicated mechanicals,
- lower performance, shorter life,
- higher total cost.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I blame the ruminants.
Everyone seems awfully casual about this expensive bill of goods we've been sold (by the same people who're trying to convince us of the "global warming" quackery).

Have we heard from retirees on fixed incomes?

Does anyone have some convincing answers to the objections raised above? All I hear are crickets.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 AM

Stupidest thing I’ve read today.

This has been in the works for over 20 years.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:41 AM
Default AC and Global warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
Everyone seems awfully casual about this expensive bill of goods we've been sold (by the same people who're trying to convince us of the "global warming" quackery).

Have we heard from retirees on fixed incomes?

Does anyone have some convincing answers to the objections raised above? All I hear are crickets.
I get so angry with climate change deniers who cause inaction on the great threat to our children and grandchildren. And if you want evidence look at the horrendous bushfires this summer that have devastated the land of my birth.

Last edited by kenoc7; 02-24-2020 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
I get so angry with climate change deniers who cause inaction on the great threat to our children and grandchildren. And if you want evidence look at the horrendous bushfires this summer that have devastated the land of my birth.
1) Can you provide convincing refutations of the 5 points raised? (Not to mention those mentioned in the article and video?)

2) Anthropogenic climate change is superstition and quackery. C02 comprises 0.04% of the atmosphere.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 AM

R22 Freon can still be used to to recharge existing AC unit but only from recovered R22 which will be expensive to purchase from aftermarket sources. R22 is longer manufactured. I guess you'll have to amke a decision whether to fix or replace. If your AC is leaking from old age, it's likely to develop more leaks after your repair and the cost of R22 is increasing dramticly.

The End of R22: What it Means for Your Old Air Conditioner - Air Conditioning Bonita Springs FL, Marco Island FL | Conditioned Air
Copy & Paste.

Last edited by wamley; 02-24-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Some mis information in original post.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:17 AM

Oh man! Someone has a "brilliant idea" about why something that has been studied for decades and proven by an army of experts (with degrees in their fields) and then attempts to fend off reality by repeating their "brilliant ideas". The chemistry behind the impact of chlorofluorocarbons interactions with ozone is simple. It pertains to an unstable molecule that runs rampant when it interacts with another unstable molecule. Perhaps the purveyor of the "brilliant idea" here would share with us his background, his degrees, and the basis of his snake oil. I suspect it all has to do with paying for something that was thought to be safe and sound but which was proven not to be. As far as articles on how CFC's impact the ozone, you might review some simple to understand popular magazine articles dating from the late 60's and early 70's. Bahhh....climate change deniers should bury their head in the sand...oops they already are!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage

R410a systems have been around since the mid 1990s. I have had R410a systems (two different homes) for the last 16 years. Based on my homes, I could not say that the R22 systems of my older homes were any more or less reliable than the R410a systems of the last two homes. The R410a systems were much more efficient but that isn't do exclusively to the use of R410a vs. R22. I doubt there are many builders who installed R22 system over the last 10 years. The writing has been on the wall for many years so it would have been silly for any homeowner to have replaced an aging AC with an R22 system within the last 10 years or so. I don't believe any R22 systems have been available for the last 5 years. I believe typical system life is about 15 years so obviously any replacement system will be R410a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
What I'm hearing is that
1) prices of R22 are now astronomical.

2) contractors are refusing to replenish or "retrofit". They're telling you to get a new system.

Note: R410 systems:
- higher pressure/more complicated mechanicals,
- lower performance, shorter life,
- higher total cost.
Closed Thread

Tags
ozone, chlorine, pole, r22, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.