Got caught with our knickers down!

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2020, 09:04 AM
Default 100 %

Need to bring jobs back to our country. This happens when you give them away.
Now we are dependent on China ! Good Luck
Old 03-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Simple answer is that Everyone wants stuff to be as cheap (less expensive) as possible. No one makes it cheaper than China! I say NO food or drugs should ever come from China. Did you know that Congress passed legislation so that packages of food do longer have to list the country of origin! You need to contact your Congressman!
That is not completely true. Certain packaged goods still need to include country of origin. You can read about it right on the USDA government website:
Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) | Agricultural Marketing Service

Did you know that beef from cows born, raised, and slaughtered in the USA, can be labeled as such? AND did you know that if it says Made in the USA, it doesn't necessarily mean the materials are American?
Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 AM

I absolutely agree.. How in the heck did we get in this position?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:16 PM

Chinese goods are cheap, everyone wants cheap, and not a good quality item made to last. This is a throwaway society.... Americans would not suffer the Chinese regime of work..accepted... but somewhere there is a medium for bringing back mfg to the USA. Support us first then export the rest. We are being held to ransom now.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbonivich View Post
I worked for Westinghouse in Pittsburgh, we were encouraged by the government to share technology with China. At the time never thought it was bad. Then one day we had no jobs. China took over the production of what we made. Everyone lost their jobs. The air may be cleaner in Pittsburgh today because of it, but maybe someday there will be no one there to enjoy it. I believe this happened across the United States.
I totally agree. China demands you turn over intellectual property to them (the "secret sauce" of your technology) in order to manufacture in China (and manufacturing in China is so cheap). But that intellectual property is now in the hands of the Chinese government. They develop a product to compete with the product from the US. It's as good as the US product and it's cheaper. It's been going on for years. Unfortunately few people will pay more to buy American.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
Globalization and specialization is the answer. And for good reason - economics. The Law of Comparative Advantage (Ricardo) around 1820 explains it. China is now helping Europe with medical equipment and masks and such ... while the USA is closing up. Who will Europe turn to as an ally when this is over? Hmmmm.
And what if China decides to stop supplying europe>>>>the alternative?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:48 PM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Because our government is stupid and bought off by lobbyists. The NIH gives huge sums of money to big pharma, but requires little of them. All we would have to do is stipulate that if you want NIH government money you have to manufacture at least enough in the U.S. to supply the U.S. market. How hard is that?
Agreed, greed a sad byproduct of capitalism, but it’s time for the world to hold China responsible. If China wants to play on the world stage then it has to play by the world’s rules.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Because our government is stupid and bought off by lobbyists. The NIH gives huge sums of money to big pharma, but requires little of them. All we would have to do is stipulate that if you want NIH government money you have to manufacture at least enough in the U.S. to supply the U.S. market. How hard is that?
YEP!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Platinum member

I may be wrong in what I think, but remember why one football team is named "Pittsburgh Steelers"?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
How did the greatest country in the world become dependent on China, 90% of our medication, medical masks, and ventilators. Granted, a pandemic doesn't occur frequently, thank God. Sure hope this problem will be quickly solved.
I agree, I cannot believe we cannot get a couple N95 masks (75 cents), gloves, or hand sanitizers for our families.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=anothersteve;1731880]We didn't get caught.....we welcomed it!
Steve[/https://youtu.be/wfGUpS5s7yA
Closed Thread

Tags
granted, pandemic, occur, frequently, god

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.