Cart Path Wonder

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Cart Path Wonder

How many miles of golf cart paths do we have in The Villages now? A few years ago it was over 80 if I recall. Have you ever stopped to think about the planning that went into our cart path system? How many tunnels, bridges and landscaped divider islands make up the system?

Imagine:

Golf cart access to 38 golf courses, 29 executive and 9 championship.

Cart access to Lake Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs.

Direct cart access to the hospital and abundant medical facilities on both sides of 466.

Direct access to shopping centers, department stores and all supermarkets in The Villages.

Direct cart access to all recreational facilities and softball fields.

A golf cart bridge over 441.

Then there is just the fun of navigating and exploring the system. I was headed to the golf course the other day and passed a very happy couple driving one of those yesteryear carts. It was warm and sunny. They were top down cruisin' around. Almost made me want to trade my golf bucket in. I mean, how cool is that. Where anywhere in the world is there a comparable golf cart path system in size and scope.

Someone had to connect the dots and integrate this elaborate transportation network into a planned community of 80,000 going on 100,000+. Yeah....I know, I should take off my rose colored glasses and stop sounding like a shill for the developer. I am also aware of the pet irritations some will pronounce upon the cart path system.....but......has anyone ever done it before? The new number for golf carts in The Villages, I'm told, is over 40,000. That came from a local cart dealer.

Another great day in The Villages.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Sage

It is an amazing road system! Some days it's fun to just take a ride in the cart and see the community. There are still some areas I've really never been in! There's always new places to explore...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
but......has anyone ever done it before?
Yes, according to their website Peachtree City Georgia has a "93.89 mile network of paths connects neighborhoods, retail centers, churches, schools and recreation areas, using tunnels and bridges to safely cross major thoroughfares".

http://www.peachtree-city.org/index.aspx?nid=216
Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Ivy - That's an interesting site. I wonder if anyone on TOTV who is familiar with both systems can offer a comparison between the two? I read Peach Tree residents are having a debate between gas cart and electric cart owners. Many electric cart owners want the gas carts banned according to a recent Peach Tree poll.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Some interesting features of their path system --

Golf carts must be registered (with a fee)
Pedestrians have the right of way
Children riding in golf carts need to wear helmets

Peachtree City is not a retirement community -- it's a master-planned city similar to Reston VA, Columbia MD, The Woodlands TX.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.