Grandchildren Living In The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
We have people living in cars,and park benches,vacant homes with nothing, and you want to call the village police on them.Maybe you should try walking in their shoes for a day. So you read something about village restrictions and you sign it and now you are suppose to turn in your neighbor.There are some people on this site that act so sweet,so many people just love them,but actually they are very mean women.
I am assuming that you are referring to me and I apologize for the snarky icon.

However, the rules are the rules are the rules and I was taught to obey the rules.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You are entitled to yours. It just seems that every time someone posts something that you don't agree with, you comment that we "have too much time on our hands". Apparently, that doesn't apply to you.

Just please try to knock off the insults and express your opinion without insulting others.

Gracie...you couldn't be mean unless your life depended on it. Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No child under 19 can live here for more than 30 days in the year.

No exceptions. It is on the DEED, so renters and resales are included.

I have heard that no matter what it will be enforced.

No need to worry, when it is discovered, the kids will move or the owners and the kids will move. And because of legal processes it won't be by Christmas.

It is what it is.

We all knew this or should have known this and ignorance of the fact is not going to change the legality of the deed restrictions.

I love children, I adore children. We bought in a retirment community that doesn't allow you to park your boat or RV or nest your pink flamingo or have children under the age of 19 stay with you for more than 30 days a year..

If you love this part of Florida and your small children must live with you, they are going to have to live outside of The Villages.
I agree. The deed restrictions and covenants need to be followed. If not, why bother having them? Everyone needs to be treated the same per the restrictions or covenants.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Beware of the Boomer. Rules are only a small inconvenience.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[/QUOTE] Please do not criticize me for posting information that was told to me in good faith.[/QUOTE]

The problem when you post something told to you in good faith is that it is nothing more than an unfounded rumor and can set off a number of provoking discussions especially when the topic touches a sensitive nerve or subject. BTW I abide (at least I think I do) by the deed restrictions.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Please do not criticize me for posting information that was told to me in good faith.
The problem when you post something told to you in good faith is that it is nothing more than an unfounded rumor and can set off a number of provoking discussions especially when the topic touches a sensitive nerve or subject. BTW I abide (at least I think I do) by the deed restrictions.[/QUOTE]

You are so right Caroline...AND BY THE WAY....Do you folks know this poster, Caroline, is a male who lives in Caroline? And always the voice of reason.

This is a rumor, but probably the rules need to be brought to the attention of potential buyers. It sure hit MY hot button.

And VillagesFlorida who is a girl and NOT VillagesFl who is a guy...VillagesFlorida...anyone who has read your posts would know that you are kind and sensitive. (I wish you'd put your sweet picture on again, because I had you mixed up for awhile)

What would we do without each other to point out things and make us think?

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default disabilities

Different children need different support whoever they are. I do not think children themselves are different, I think their needs can be different and yes I am sensitive, probably overly so, to how things are worded or said as I do advocacy and work for inclusive living. I have also fostered 55 special needs and high risk foster children and have had to fight for their place in the community and at school.
We just bought in The Villages. I was told that you can have people 19 and older living in your house-no one can do anything about that. However, unless they are on the deed, they can only use the ammenities with a guest pass and have TV privileges with a pass. So sometimes they can have a pass and then there has to be a break before they can get another. No one can force anyone out of your house 19 and over but they will be restricted without the guest pass or being put on the deed.
I am not wanting to create controversy, sorry, just was reacting to large letters which to me stung. I see it was not meant. We all learn by communicating.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Sage

Wasn't there a situation in Florida where a grandchild was living with grandparent(s) in an age restricted community and the courts forced a resolution? The child HAD to leave so the grandparents moved?

Alas, with life as it is today, so many grandchildren are becoming wards of their grandparents. While it is instinctively what any grandparent would do, it really can't be done here...them's the rules. One thing to think about is the lack of other children...kids need to be with their peers. It does seem heartless and mean spirited to not allow children to stay, BUT we all signed deed restrictions...and it doesn't matter, it's there whether we like it or not, however it is not fair to those who have chosen to live in an age restricted development. Why should their rights and desires be minimized?

We really have no idea if what is thought to be regarding youngsters mentioned in this thread is truth or fiction. All we are stating is our feelings and opinions. Some of us want to go by the established rules that this community has regarding who can be here and for how long, others want to bend the rules because they can sympathize with the situation. Believe me, those of us who want the rules aren't heartless and unsympathetic, however, many moved here because of those restrictions, why do they have to be the ones to sacrifice. As sad as it is, resolution can happen, but it will mean additional sacrifice by the grandparents...they will have to find other living facilities. It is what it is.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage

Assuming that the original post is correct and a house is being expanded to accommodate young children living with grandparents, we are told by some that we should ignore it. OK, but where should the line be drawn? What other restrictions can we ignore in order to mind our own business? If I have a neighbor who has a partly dismantled car in his driveway, is that OK? Or how about the neighbor who refuses to maintain his landscaping so his weed seeds blow onto others' properties? What about the neighbor who is running a business out of his home resulting in a lot of vehicular traffic and parked cars on our street all day and night? Ignore that, too?

If we start determining which regulations we will abide by and which we allow ourselves to ignore, we start on the slippery slope toward a community with ever decreasing value.

We had a wonderful neighbor who, due to circumstances beyond his control, was forced to take in his daughter and her young children. Since 30 days would not be enough, and, knowing the rules, he sold his house and moved out of TV so he could do what he had to. No one had to force him to do this. He knew what was right and what was wrong.

The attitude that "I'll break the rules and wait for them to catch me" is abhorrent to me. I was not brought up that way.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Epilepsy

Sorry about your brother. I used to be the Executive Director of the British Columbia (Canada) Epilepsy Society. It is a very tough disorder and children with seizures really do suffer from ridicule, embarrassment and isolation. I also had a foster son for 7 years wth autism, epilepsy and totally visually impaired. When I left Canada, he went to live in a new foster home. The foster mother left him in the bath tub while she went to take a phone call and have a cigarette. He had a seziure and passed away in the tub. Epilepsy is one of the most stigmatized disorders. I understand your pointof view.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

I live in a patio home community up north. Patio homes in WNY are strictly "geared" for seniors. However, there are no rules or regulations stating that children cannot live here. There is one lone family with children who lives here. It breaks my heart to see these children amongst all us seniors. They have no peers to play with......and we're all "old". Children just do not belong in senior communities. It's not fair to the children! A short visit is delightful.....but for children to live in a senior community is wrong...........and not fair to the old or the young. IMHO.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Under 19, on parole, mother and father do not want him in their house, he’s a good boy, grandma and grandpa love him so they take him in.

Get a security system, tip of the day.

I have a friend whose son came to live with him in FL, he was under 18 and this was not in TV. In the first 45 days in FL he was in jail more than out. If a mother can not stand her own kid he is a problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum member

I wouldn't buy in TV if I knew this rule was not being enforced so I'll be watching this closely.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Rules

skip0358
Veteran member Join Date: Jul 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone wants to believe the rules are the rules and they must be enforced.I agree with this and it's why I moved here. However they are only enforced if the violation is reported and very few people would rat out their neighbors. So the fountain that never runs water,the nice lawn ornament,the camper or motor home in the road with water and power running from the house, the boat in the driveway, the rubermaid storage locker that sticks above the villa wall, the work that's being done without permission or didn't go to ARB,the person with more pets then allowed and even though it's not in the deeds don't tell me how fast I can drive my golf cart etc. As TV gets bigger there will only be more of this happening. The only to prevent this is to call a in a complaint. You don't have to give your name.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
The problem when you post something told to you in good faith is that it is nothing more than an unfounded rumor and can set off a number of provoking discussions especially when the topic touches a sensitive nerve or subject. BTW I abide (at least I think I do) by the deed restrictions.

You are so right Caroline...AND BY THE WAY....Do you folks know this poster, Caroline, is a male who lives in Caroline? And always the voice of reason.

This is a rumor, but probably the rules need to be brought to the attention of potential buyers. It sure hit MY hot button.

And VillagesFlorida who is a girl and NOT VillagesFl who is a guy...VillagesFlorida...anyone who has read your posts would know that you are kind and sensitive. (I wish you'd put your sweet picture on again, because I had you mixed up for awhile)

What would we do without each other to point out things and make us think?[/QUOTE]
bump
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
That would be me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.