Grandkids discussion

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2022, 10:08 AM

I’m sorry your kids don’t support your retirement. Maybe they feel you’re not capable of taking care of yourself anymore or maybe they feel they want your free babysitting don’t know. But I think it sounds like a great plan. But as far as the grandkids go that’s why we’re not here full-time either as well as I would suspect quite a few who are waiting a little bit longer to be full timers. Anyways, your choice your decision.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:34 AM

I came to Florida after 110 inches of snow in Boston. If I miss it I can be there in 4 hrs. My kids visit, friends visit. we did not snowbird because why worry about one place while in the other
Old 11-25-2022, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkw1 View Post
I came to Florida after 110 inches of snow in Boston. If I miss it I can be there in 4 hrs. My kids visit, friends visit. we did not snowbird because why worry about one place while in the other

If you can afford it you don't worry. That's what insurance is for.

Last edited by rustyp; 11-25-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:26 PM

To the OP, do what meets your needs not your kids. We’ve been sunbirds for several years, spending the summers up north to visit family and escape the heat. I’d guess that eventually we’ll get tired of the back and forth and stay in TV year round but until then it works for us.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:03 AM

Please tell your wise that moving to TV may will increase her husband’s happiness, health, and longevity. She will get to spend more time doing fun things with you. Hope she can find meaning in that.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

New grandkid in theory - When one learns that a new addition to the family is on the way, they get overwhelmed with goose bumps and excitement.

New grandkid in reality - When one learns that a new addition to the family is on the way, they think “Oh No”, not another reason for the wife to find why we can’t spend more time at our Villages home. Fingers crossed that the kid is born on the same day as one of the kids that already keeps us from being at our Villages home.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:04 AM
Default Missing the Grandkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower7330@gmail.com View Post
My wife and I have considering moving to TV. We have visited all the squares and we rented a house on the south side for a month a few weeks ago. We love all the activity and energy from TV.
The one sticky point is the grand kids. They are in PA and my wife is having a huge problem trying to justify the move and missing the grand kids.
We have proposed doing a reverse snow bird where we would spend 3 or 4 months in PA in the summer time while the kids are off from school. The parents were not thrilled with us moving away and have not been very supportive.
Would love to hear some opinions on this subject.
Thank you
For Christmas two years ago, we purchased an Echo Show from Amazon for each family and ourselves. It is almost the size of an 8x10 photograph. It sits on a small table beside our eating table. With this we can see and talk with any of our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. If I feel the need to talk and see them, I call. We are able to be there while they are opening gifts for holidays and sometimes we eat dinner with them as they sit on our table. I found it helps me not to get homesick and it is fun. Our children encouraged us to purchase here because they know we are so much more active in The Villages and they don't have to worry about us. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
It is home for us. We love it year-round. Frogs! HTWC!
🐸🐸
Same here! There was no way we could keep our CA home and buy here too. We chose to move here this year leaving all 3 adult children and one year old grandbaby behind in Calif. We’ve been here two weeks, and Thanksgiving was our first holiday without them. It was definitely bittersweet, but we are pushing 70 and had no more time to waste sitting at home in our empty nest with mostly nothing to do. Our kids were shocked, but supportive, though we only saw them 2-3x a year even when we lived close to them. They were all very busy with careers, and grandbaby lived 4 hours from us. Hopefully we’ll be happy here because it’s definitely full time for us.
We FaceTimed with them on Thanksgiving, and honestly if we were still there I would’ve been the one cooking all day, something I don’t enjoy anymore. It was nice seeing daughter-in-law hosting and cooking, and everyone helping her. They’ll definitely come visit us as they’re able, and we will do the same.
Next year we’ll figure out how to all get together sometime between TG and Christmas, but this year having just arrived after driving across country for 8 days we won’t be flying back there for Christmas. We’ll all survive.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:37 PM

We are in the process of moving down permanently within the next few weeks. I have had the grandchildren dilemma for the last 8 years! My son has been stationed in ND for the past 11 years, met a local girl and got married. We go to visit a few times a year and they come to us in NY. This past summer they came down to the villages, plus my 2 other kids, and they all went to the parks together. I did camp villages with the grandkids, we did the air boat thing, etc. They loved going to the squares at night and dancing. They had such a good time. We do the facetime/ meet groups with the kids. One of my daughters bought a house and I have a room there for when we visit them in NY. There's no reason to stay here in NY. Can't wait to leave the high taxes in Long Island!
Old 11-26-2022, 06:48 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
You worked all your life, and now it's me time....enjoy what you have left. The grand kids can come and visit.
I could not live anywhere but here. I go back to visit but can’t wait to get back. They also enjoy coming here to visit and are happy that they do not need to worry about us down here.

Last edited by oldtimes; 11-26-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august2959 View Post
For Christmas two years ago, we purchased an Echo Show from Amazon for each family and ourselves. It is almost the size of an 8x10 photograph. It sits on a small table beside our eating table. With this we can see and talk with any of our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. If I feel the need to talk and see them, I call. We are able to be there while they are opening gifts for holidays and sometimes we eat dinner with them as they sit on our table. I found it helps me not to get homesick and it is fun. Our children encouraged us to purchase here because they know we are so much more active in The Villages and they don't have to worry about us. Good Luck with your decision.
This can also be done on an iPad using FaceTime. That’s how we “spent” Thanksgiving this year with our kids and toddler grandson who are all in California.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=Kathy B.;2160375]This is a tough one. We’re lucky; my parents bought here in TV over 30 years ago, so the kids have been visiting since they were toddlers, and they love it here. When we bought our house and I expressed my concerns to my eldest son, he said, “Mom, we’re closer to grandma & grandpa who go to FL than we are to our grandparents who are here all year.” It told me it really is quality over quantity. Here are some things we do to help:
*We go back to MN in the summers and “overdose” on grandkids’ activities.
*We usually go back for about 10 days before Christmas. We love the early Christmas because they don’t have to leave for another gathering & the grandkids have their “first” Christmas with us. Plus the travel is cheaper. I even have the house decorated & the tree up before we leave in the fall.
*We give them the option of receiving either Christmas gifts or a flight here during their spring break. They’ve chosen the flight every year so far. It is SO fun to have them here and we get them 24/7.
It has worked for us for the last 9 years and we feel like the luckiest people on the planet. That being said, it’s not for everyone. Best of luck to you.[/QUOTE

For us it’s California where all of our kids and toddler grandson are, but doing Christmas with them early every December in Calif is such a great idea because 2 of our 3 kids were always juggling Christmas with their spouses’ families and us on Christmas, so they’d all be happy to have Christmas with us early. Thanks for the great idea! We’re new here, and spending our first Christmas ever without the kids since we’re closing escrow on our home on 12/15, so we have to stay here. Now though we’ll feel better knowing there’s a plan for future Christmases. And thankfully there’s also FaceTime.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:42 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Depend on ages of grandkids. Young, good idea. I missed some fun stuff with them. Teenagers - not as good a idea. They will be too busy for you.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I would do it if you want to do it , not because you feel guilty . I know a lot of people who split the year , it’s a great benefit to be able to stay connected to your roots. If I was ever forced to make a choice between both places no matter how much I love the villages I would choose Boston . I think many people as much as they love being in Florida would love to go back to there home towns , but the costs of those communities they have left has gotten to high .FYI for me my plan since the day I came to fl over 20 years ago , was to always go home for good at around 85 years old, well I’ll very soon be 84 and I still have the same plan , Florida has been fun , but it’s not Boston
Exactly my sentiments. I'm just up the road from you in RI and the plan is to head back at some point in our lives. In the meantime we enjoy the time we are here, then the time we are up north in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
You are in the minority.
You can add me as being in the minority and I don't mind it at all. From Ricky Nelson's lyrics "You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself."

Last edited by B-flat; 11-27-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, love, grand, moving, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.