Granite countertops

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 06:55 AM
Default You could also move

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
1 - turn the lights off and eat by candlelight, you won't notice it

2 - eat at the dining room table and sit in a chair that will have you looking away from the counter tops

3 - get into therapy and rid yourself of this color/pattern disorder (might be less costly to just replace the counter top though)

4 - lastly...take a sledge hammer to it and see if you can replace it under your homeowners policy (check your policy 1st though)
You could also move.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I bought my house after it was completed and was not crazy about the granite (too dark) or the backsplash (small square tiles). I was unwilling to replace and pay so much, and guess what, got used to it! Unless you absolutely detest it and then the question is you must have hated it when you bought the house, so must have considered replacing it then. Your choice of how to spend the dough.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:32 AM
Default Nope

I just had my granite removed, cut down to an even counter and replaced with quartz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcurrie947 View Post
We purchased a home with granite countertops and don't care for the color. Any suggestions that work in lieu of having them replaced?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

to prevent stains, granite c-tops should be sealed using usda approved sealants - same w/marble & soapstone - reapply as needed
Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 AM

Just so you know....... granite emits radon. So this craziness about needing granite top counters is just a good sales pitch, but not a healthy one. Homes up in the northeast who have granite foundations or built on granite ledge are known to have radon in their basements and need to have the entire house corrected for it.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 AM

I had the same problem and used Catalyst Tops just had them replaced
Old 04-03-2020, 09:20 AM

We decided we love our high def countertops after pricing replacement....at this point in our lives, it’s such a tiny detail! Hasn’t affected our meals at all!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM

you are joking aren’t you?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

From my vantage point it helped sell my home. In May 2011 after a LSV in TV I listed my home in Maryland for sale at 8pm in the evening. The next morning they showed the home at 10am and at noon I had an offer and sold the home to the first person to see the home.

The woman that bought the home was the incoming new manager of the Wegman's they built about a block away. She toured 9 homes on day one and on day two we were the first and last. They asked, why did you buy that home. She said, I had just had my kitchen remodeled back in Rochester and I wasn't going to settle for a home that did have the kitchen updated. She said after seeing ten homes, we were the first to have an updated kitchen and that sold the home.

I don't have many photos, this shows some of the kitchen. We had the old oak cabinets removed and new shaker style with contemporary hand pulls, Santa Cecilia granite and Whirlpool Stainless Appliances, recessed lightning, bamboo floors, and the wall between the kitchen and dining room removed. Santa Cecilia is a level 1 granite, it's probably in the $30 to $35 range installed with a standard edge.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
Just so you know....... granite emits radon. So this craziness about needing granite top counters is just a good sales pitch, but not a healthy one. Homes up in the northeast who have granite foundations or built on granite ledge are known to have radon in their basements and need to have the entire house corrected for it.
Radon exists in the ground above the granite at the foundation level and not in the granite itself. It will not exist at a granite countertop even though the granite was removed from the ground. One of the ways to decrease the amount of radon in the ground is to install a mitigation system that extends below the floor slab in a house. The system includes installing a pipe down through the slab with a pump producing a suction that will move air through the soil, bringing the radon with it, and exhausting it to the exterior. Doing this continuously will lessen the radon level to a harmless level. When I sold my home in the Chicago Area, the radon tests came back showing a slight elevation of the radon levels, so I had a mitigation system installed for about $1,000. Radon, which is in a gas form, will not exist at a granite countertop because of the amount of air around it. Radon cannot exist within the granite because of the density of the granite and lack of voids within the granite. Much of the granite used in the United States comes from out of the country. In fact, much of it comes from India and South America.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:16 PM

I actually passed over buying a house because I HATED the granite. The granite is probably not that bad if you bought the home. I'm curious what it looks like? The house we just bought , the granite wasnt, exactly what I would of picked but I can certainly live with it.
Do you like the cabinets? Thats an easy fix. You can get new drawer front and door fronts that might blend in better with the granite, and probably a lot cheaper. Paint the walls was a good suggestion, add more decor to blend into the granite. Replacing granite is a big ticket item. When we bought our house it didnt have a lanai built in grill(kitchen) that we wanted. When we started pracing I couldnt belive how much that was. $10,000-15,000. o we will settle on just the built in grill. No sink. I'm sure you will make the kitchen, despite the granite, very nice.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,701 Times in 5,236 Posts

If the granite countertops are installed correctly and in good condition, I cannot imagine replacing them just because of the color. I think I would learn to love them. But, I am not very picky.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Even though I've liked ours, I found if you repeatedly spill enough red wine on them without a quick clean-up, they do change color.
That will not happen with quartz. I prefer quartz because there is no maintenance to worry about. Granite is porous. Quartz is not porous.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,701 Times in 5,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Even though I've liked ours, I found if you repeatedly spill enough red wine on them without a quick clean-up, they do change color.
Two solutions. One, stop spilling red wine. Two, drink white wine.
Closed Thread

Tags
granite, countertops, lieu, work, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.