Gratuities for Sanitation Folk

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Location: Dunedin, the Villages & Mount Sinai, Long Island NY
Default Gratuities for Sanitation Folk

We’re now fulltimers in the Villages.

At holiday time, I’d like to recognize the terrific service we get from our trash pickup people.

I’d like to hear advice regarding your tipping thoughts & practices and whether you give to both the trash pickup and recycle folk; are they separate crews generally?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I don’t tip sanitation workers unless they’ve picked up something extra from me and then I lay in wait to catch them. They don’t make a great wage, but they do make a reasonable one. I don’t sanitation crew and recycle crew are the same guys, but who knows.

The ones I do tip are my newspaper carrier and the mail carriers, unless they are actual postal employees, which is only the case at a few of our mailbox stations. You can tell if they are subcontractors (lowest bid) or USPS employees by looking at the vehicle parked at your station. If a private vehicle, then a subcontractor. Their bids usually come in below minimum wage. Stinks but .....

Others that should get Christmas bonuses are your regular, non-owner hairdresser, cleaning people, others who provide a regular, personal service to you, a regular, favorite food server. I usually give a plate of goodies to the fire department and my gate attendant. All others are on their own.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic&Judy View Post

At holiday time, I’d like to recognize the terrific service we get from our trash pickup people.

I’d like to hear advice regarding your tipping thoughts & practices and whether you give to both the trash pickup and recycle folk; are they separate crews generally?

Thanks in advance!

What terrific service is it they do of what you speak ? They’re doing their job, what their supposed to do. It’s a binary job, either they do it or they don’t. No tip is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 10:18 AM

They work hard in a thankless job. I do tip them and they are surprised and grateful.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

I'm old school...........It's the Holiday Season.........

I tip the Sanitation & Mail people and I use to tip the paper delivery "kids".

Most of the time they also received baked items.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

I happen to have a cousin that is a sanitation worker in NYC. He works on a truck and picks up the trash door to door, what we used to call a garbage man.

Granted he does work an extra shift 2-3 times/mon. Last year he made $109k. I realize FL is not NY but how much less can a TV garbage man make?

I’m all for tipping when you have something extra large or heavy that needs to disappear. I’ve given them $20 from time to time when I need something like a television picked up and dropped in the truck. But holiday tipping of the garbage man is a phenomenon I had not heard about.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Up north it was a one man operation. Drive the truck, get out, load the garbage, back in the truck. I made sure that he got a bottle of top shelf whiskey at Christmas and a box of fine chocolates at Easter.

The problem here is that I have no idea of who's who and what crew. I never see them as they are gone before I'm up and about.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Absolutely. these folks work hard and they are efficient and consistent.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
What terrific service is it they do of what you speak ? They’re doing their job, what their supposed to do. It’s a binary job, either they do it or they don’t. No tip is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. They have a job and it is their employer's responsibility to pay them a fair wage, not me.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Sage

Be generous with everyone, if you can.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 PM

They are so much better than other places we have lived and less expensive.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic&Judy View Post

Thanks in advance!
Here's last years thread:Tipping the Mail Carrier

Probably one for every year..... can't figure out why!!! Tip what you want or don't want. Why ask someone else?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

I agree.....why ask?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I happen to have a cousin that is a sanitation worker in NYC. He works on a truck and picks up the trash door to door, what we used to call a garbage man.

Granted he does work an extra shift 2-3 times/mon. Last year he made $109k. I realize FL is not NY but how much less can a TV garbage man make?

I’m all for tipping when you have something extra large or heavy that needs to disappear. I’ve given them $20 from time to time when I need something like a television picked up and dropped in the truck. But holiday tipping of the garbage man is a phenomenon I had not heard about.
I would suspect they belong to a union in NYC. Florida isn't like that and I doubt they make as much.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

I have tried to tip trash and recycling people in the past, here is the problem, on 2 occasions the envelope I had attached to the trash ans recycling bags disappeared when the first truck went by, and the second truck got nothing.......As noted above, many times one or both of these pickups are before I am out the door, so if someone has as alternative, let me know.

Tags
i’d, pickup, trash, give, practices

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.