Default Great video about scams in TV

Buyers Of Homes In The Villages BEWARE! - YouTube

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Good video. I agree with it about the water softener and the attic insulation. But, there is not enough information to determine if the air conditioner and water heater were a ripoff. $6,000 seems like a reasonable price if they installed a complete A/C system and water heater. And, if the old water heater was piped into the active hot water system, then it may indicate that the tankless system was broken, or being used for only part of the house. Although, the new water heater should have an expansion tank to protect against excessive water pressure.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-08-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Sage

It was great that we saw the name on the water softener invoice--too bad we don't know the name of the insulation co. &the HVAC/plumber

Its obvious the house is patio villa-the a/c should be 2 tons or less--$4k for a replacement unit is on the high side & the hot water heater without an expansion tank--maybe a code violation--wondering were any permits pulled --were inspections made

This video should be forwarded to all major Florida Tv stations

Last edited by Chatbrat; 07-08-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 AM

Wow. I agree with the scam opinion on all the items. The name of the insulation company could also be seen on its invoice. Ironically both companies that could be seen have A+ ratings on BBB. Shows one that due diligence is required from multiple sources as I was surprised after those prices there is not more complaints.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Sage

When you give $ to the BBB--you get great ratings===BBB ratings are worthless
Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Thanks so much for posting this -very informative! And should be required viewing for those closing on new/used homes here,

When we moved here into our new home 4 years ago, we encountered some of these folks trying to make a quick buck. The biggest one was a 'water softener' firm coming out to 'test our water as part of the Welcome Wagon'... He spent an hour here with a spiel, and "tested" our water with a special chemical. It turned cloudy and yucky. I them told him I wanted a glass of water tested too. In another room I poured bottled spring water into a glass. He put the drops in and - viola' same yuck. He then gave us a quote of $5500 for a system. We said no - he called his boss and told us we can have a special price of $4000. I then told him about his scam - and he left - after I demanded our $25 gift card they enticed us with. BTW the company starts with a P and ends with an S, and is a word for a mythical winged creature. Stay away from them.

Tags
scams, video, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.