Taxes on new home

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default Taxes on new home

I'm in the process of buying a new home in Tamarind Grove. It turns out the taxes are going to be almost twice the estimate I was given. Can someone help me understand how the taxes are derived. I went to the appraiser's webpage, but apparently the development is too new.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I'm in the process of buying a new home in Tamarind Grove. It turns out the taxes are going to be almost twice the estimate I was given. Can someone help me understand how the taxes are derived. I went to the appraiser's webpage, but apparently the development is too new.
Who gave you the estimate? Maybe have them explain how they derived their info. Is it the actual property taxes that are the surprise or is it the amount of the bond?

BIll
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Who gave you the estimate? Maybe have them explain how they derived their info. Is it the actual property taxes that are the surprise or is it the amount of the bond?

BIll
The mortgage company had gotten an estimate (from somewhere) to use in processing my loan request and then told me the actual amount was a great deal higher - enough in fact to have them re-evaluate the numbers.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
The mortgage company had gotten an estimate (from somewhere) to use in processing my loan request and then told me the actual amount was a great deal higher - enough in fact to have them re-evaluate the numbers.
Yeesh! Shame on them!

You might try going to the property appraiser's web site and nose around for tax info on other properties in your area that are priced equivalent to yours, just to see what their taxes come out to.

http://www.sumterpa.com/GIS/Search_F.asp

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Default Call Sumter tax office

I closed on my new home in Tamarind Grove in November. In January I called the Villages asking for a more precise estimate on the property tax and was advised to call the Sumter County tax office. Sumter county tax office advised that they couldn't provide a precise amount, but it would be "pretty close", and gave me a number that was about $200 over the estimate I was given by the Villages which is understable and ok for me. So I am hoping that the actual amount will still be within that ballpark (I believe Sumter county tax office said it was billed in November through our assessments, but don't hold me to that....).
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM

I purchased a home in Tamarind Grove in Dec. Before closing they quoted me 1.5% of the total home value, At closing that estimate was right on the money at closing. I presently don't homestead the florida property but I'm under the assumption that that number will drop to approx. 1% if I homestead it.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Sage

My estimate was within a few dollars per month of the actual value. Not sure where the wrong number would come from. The amount of your property tax is a science not an art. As long as they know the price of the house and whether or not you will be homesteading etc. I think you might be confusing just property tax value with other values (monthly bond ?).
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
After we settled on our home I sent an e-mail to Helen Parrett at the Sumter County Tax office and she answered me very quickly and was very accurate with her estimate.

Hope this helps.

hparrett@sumtertaxcollector.com
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM

We closed on our home in Tamarind Grove today. When we applied for our loan the loan officer said she was calculating the worst case for taxes and bond. We were happy to see that our tax and bond payments were quite abit less than her estimate.

Last edited by oldnewt; 04-20-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: extra word
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM

I did get a breakdown of the taxes:

Property Tax on Sales Price
Bond
Maintenance

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Sage

Are any of the Tamarind Grovers that posted in this thread building a cottage home on Ansley Path or thereabouts? We will be neighbors.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This is a general comment and not specific to Fl.
The taxing authority creates an annual budget of expenses. Then they determine what part of the budget is to be paid for by property owners. Say the budget allocated to property owners is 10,000 and the value of all property is 1,000,000. Dividing 10,000 by 1,000,000 gives a 1% tax rate. Thus your taxes are 1% of the value of your home. The tax value of your home may not be what you paid for it. Some taxing authorities may give you a homestead credit, Senior Citizen discount etc. but the above should give you an idea and you should not have had a big difference between the two numbers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.