Easy and cheap way to ID potential COVID-19 concerns

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Default Easy and cheap way to ID potential COVID-19 concerns

Want to share this, it is SO SIMPLE it is BRILLANT!

Just heard something on TV by a Doc that is so simple and easy to help us all during this crazy virus....go to Amazon now and buy a cheap (I got one for $25) PULSE OXIMETER READER FOR YOUR FINGER! Then, if you have some symptoms you are concerned about, you quickly take the pulse oxygenation reading and KNOW immediately if this is potentially virus related. He said if you call any medical screener with symptoms but can tell them that your oxygenation levels are within normal limits, that we can all avoid unnecessary waits to see a Doc, and potential exposure while there. They have them for both adults and peds available on Amazon now)...who knows how quickly they might sell out. Good luck all!
Old 03-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Samsung has a pulse oximeter app for its high end smart phones.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post

Just heard something on TV by a Doc that is so simple and easy to help us all during this crazy virus....go to Amazon now and buy a cheap (I got one for $25) PULSE OXIMETER READER FOR YOUR FINGER! Then, if you have some symptoms you are concerned about, you quickly take the pulse oxygenation reading and KNOW immediately if this is potentially virus related. He said if you call any medical screener with symptoms but can tell them that your oxygenation levels are within normal limits, that we can all avoid unnecessary waits to see a Doc, and potential exposure while there. They have them for both adults and peds available on Amazon now)...who knows how quickly they might sell out. Good luck all!
Thanks for the informative post, just ordered one. I would suggest others do the same quickly as some of the brands of the OXIMETER are already not available.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Unless you have other issues, poor circulation as many elderly have, or Raynaud’s just for one. I am known as the walking dead in the OR. I scare the crap out of a new grad. also you need to understand certain nail polish will not give you correct numbers on hospital grade, much less on a over the counter. Do you know your baseline 30 days ago

Last edited by asianthree; 03-22-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:06 AM
Angry SO SIMPLE it is BRILLANT!

Quote:

OMG..... just think how many lives could have been saved had this information been available 6 months ago !!!!! This is like the one I read recently on how to simply resolve the Corona Virus if you developed same....... "the virus lives for 4 hours in your throat before it enters your lungs, so all you have to do is gargle with warm salt water right away and you will not develop any complications". Please stop posting irresponsible information on these sites.... there are gullible people out there who will believe it. Makes me wonder if you own stock in some respiratory equipment company, lol.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
OMG..... just think how many lives could have been saved had this information been available 6 months ago !!!!! This is like the one I read recently on how to simply resolve the Corona Virus if you developed same....... "the virus lives for 4 hours in your throat before it enters your lungs, so all you have to do is gargle with warm salt water right away and you will not develop any complications". Please stop posting irresponsible information on these sites.... there are gullible people out there who will believe it. Makes me wonder if you own stock in some respiratory equipment company, lol.

#1--THIS IS NOT IRRESPONSIBLE INFORMATION! It came from Dr Seigel on Fox news. He stated BECAUSE THERE WAS A SHORTAGE OF TESTING KITS AVAILABLE, this was one way to HELP your Doc triage your concerns! CHECK OUT FOX NEWS, YOU CAN SEE IT YOURSELF! TRIAGE!!! NOONE said not to get incontact with a HCP and trying to do this based ONLY on your O2 levels. When you call your HCP, you give them what is going on with you...fever, aches, pains, whatever...why NOT give them something that really helps them understand you MIGHT NEED TO BE SEEN IMMEDIATELY!

#2--If you don't like the fact a retired nurse is trying to pass along something that could HELP those that WANT TO ENSURE THEY ARE OK BUT NOT EXPOSE THEMSELVES TO GOING OUT TO A DR OFFICE OR ER UNNECESSARILY, too darn bad! We ALL need to watch our own health issues, and also do what we can to reserve/maintain those health care professionals by giving them all the info we can to help them determine if we NEED to be screened by testing based on the information we are giving them VS just deciding WE WANT A TEST meaning you might be wasting one unnecessarily.

#3--if YOU want to take the risk of not knowing if your cough, fever or issues are not allergy/cold/flu related without being able to give your HCP the additional information of what your O2 level is WITHOUT HAVING to going in, please save your few dollars and head your happy attitude right on into your Dr office or the ER and expose yourself to whatever and PAY the cost of the visit and allow those of us that will REFUSE to lay awake worrying unnecessarily because we might have SOME symptoms, but bottom line is YOU WILL PRIORITIZE yourself for care once you can tell them you have a falling O2 sat level.

I don't own stock in anything medically related.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

There is nothing wrong with ordering a device that can possibly help screen a potential symptom of the Corona Virus. Nothing is perfect, anything that can possibly help someone concerned about a possible infection, and rule out a false positive, that would otherwise burden our already overwhelmed health care services is not a bad thing. These are times where we are all trying to learn and figure out things, we are all definitely swimming in unchartered waters.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
There is nothing wrong with ordering a device that can possibly help screen a potential symptom of the Corona Virus. Nothing is perfect, anything that can possibly help someone concerned about a possible infection, and rule out a false positive, that would otherwise burden our already overwhelmed health care services is not a bad thing. These are times where we are all trying to learn and figure out things, we are all definitely swimming in unchartered waters.
TOTALLY CORRECT and the ONLY reason I shared this info!!! NONE of us know ANYTHING about this except that ANYTHING we can do to minimize our risk AND help our HCP being able to give them any and every piece of info we can to ensure we don't expose ourselves unnecessarily, don't tax already OVERWHELMED medical staff unnecessarily and DO remain PROACTIVE in trying to help those that are now our frontline defenders focus on those in need....THAT IS BEING A GREAT PATIENT!!! I honestly feel QUESTIONING THIS GREAT ADVICE GIVEN BY AN MD IS IRRESPONSIBLE. Yes, I realize this individual is also a retired nurse...which upsets even more than if an UNEDUCATED about medical protocols person had posted this. The difference, I live with a HUSBAND at high risk, and she lives with cats!
Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
It would be good if all retirees acknowledged that life and knowledge continue to evolve long after they hang up their profession. You just may not know what is current best practice in your old field and should probably reserve comments on something you are not current with.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
It would be good if all retirees acknowledged that life and knowledge continue to evolve long after they hang up their profession. You just may not know what is current best practice in your old field and should probably reserve comments on something you are not current with.
With all our modern medical knowledge... and I deeply respect it... but some of the best things that work for me are things my grandmother taught me. Perhaps she knew what worked for her genetic descendants, or it’s psychosomatic, maybe it’s not current “best practices” but it works for me.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Default Pulse Oximeter

You could have the coronavirus before the oxygenation saturation level in your blood is affected. People with certain underlying health issues can already have low oxygen levels in their blood. How about using a thermometer to monitor your temperature if you are not feeling well and take it from there. In a healthy person, you're going to be pretty sick by the time your O2 Sat is measuring low as a result of coronavirus. I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. The gang on Fox News also said that this was all a hoax. Dr. Fauci is the only doctor on TV that I would take advice from.

Just heard something on TV by a Doc that is so simple and easy to help us all during this crazy virus....go to Amazon now and buy a cheap (I got one for $25) PULSE OXIMETER READER FOR YOUR FINGER! Then, if you have some symptoms you are concerned about, you quickly take the pulse oxygenation reading and KNOW immediately if this is potentially virus related. He said if you call any medical screener with symptoms but can tell them that your oxygenation levels are within normal limits, that we can all avoid unnecessary waits to see a Doc, and potential exposure while there. They have them for both adults and peds available on Amazon now)...who knows how quickly they might sell out. Good luck all![/QUOTE]

Last edited by Lindsyburnsy; 03-22-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

If this information did not come from the CDC, then it is pure BS
Old 03-22-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:

This is great advice. I just picked up one of these last Friday.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
You could have the coronavirus before the oxygenation saturation level in your blood is affected. People with certain underlying health issues can already have low oxygen levels in their blood. How about using a thermometer to monitor your temperature if you are not feeling well and take it from there. In a healthy person, you're going to be pretty sick by the time your O2 Sat is measuring low as a result of coronavirus. I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. The gang on Fox News also said that this was all a hoax. Dr. Fauci is the only doctor on TV that I would take advice from.

Dr. Birx on the team is equally knowledgable. Listen to her, as well. Remember, they are working as a TEAM. She was the first to say that just because you test negative today, does not mean that you cannot test positive tomorrow. That is why there are putting in stricter protocols for testing with the preservation of much-needed supplies and equipment in mind for the critically ill. Remember, this virus is new to EVERYONE, even these highly skilled professionals, including Dr. Fauci.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, pulse, easy, symptoms, quickly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.