Grocery pick-up

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default Grocery pick-up

Loved it, sure this will be my new norm.
Ordered online at Walmart, pickup was perfect,
No fuss, no touch! Just for comparison, ordered same brands at Publix $40 more. I love Publix but NOT during coronavirus.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,377 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
No fuss, no touch! Just for comparison, ordered same brands at Publix $40 more. I love Publix but NOT during coronavirus.
If one has a sale on certain brands and the other doesn't, then you can't compare prices. When Publix has a BOGO sale on something that is just normally "lower" priced at Walmart - and you buy two of those items - you will pay more at Walmart.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If one has a sale on certain brands and the other doesn't, then you can't compare prices. When Publix has a BOGO sale on something that is just normally "lower" priced at Walmart - and you buy two of those items - you will pay more at Walmart.
I was careful to only compare prices on like items and at same time. Trust me, I love Publix and their wonderful service but pick -up at Walmart was a piece of cake.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Sage

As an added bonus, my list of groceries does not grow with non essentials that I throw in basket in route to cashier, ha!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
I have started using the Wal-Mart on-line ordering and curbside pick-up the last 10 days. The website searching for specific items is a challenge but it might get easier for me once I teach myself how to properly search. I like that I'm able to "save" items that I want to order again. After this pandemic I plan to continue shopping like this for getting my "staples" then going inside for my produce and meats. I also like publix but for me its much safer at Wal-Mart right now.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Publix seems to have become more expensive over the past few years. I'm trying to gain weight and have a weakness for croissants...a package of four large ones in the Publix bakery was $13.99!!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Publix seems to have become more expensive over the past few years. I'm trying to gain weight and have a weakness for croissants...a package of four large ones in the Publix bakery was $13.99!!
This is price gouging, it need to be reported, Walmart prices have risen more than expected. Trader Joe’s, no rise in any prices, they just didn’t have any new item end cap.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Smile Yea, I'm not the only one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I fear you are going to get a lot of feed back on "trying to gain weight". I have been trying for 5 years and not having much (any) success. I know, millions of people will never understand, but I believe it is more difficult to GAIN than it is to lose weight. And I have an added problem.... anything I buy that is "fattening", my spouse seems to find before I can get to it and he has found all my hiding places, lol. And with the present crisis, I find all the "comfort foods" disappearing as fast as everything else...... so much for our gaining weight. Good luck to you and if you find a way, please share a PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Walmart also has grocery delivery and will leave a "no touch" order at your door or garage, etc. without a signature. They offer an unlimited plan for $12.99 a month, otherwise the fee varies from $8-10 per order depending on distance from the store. $30 minimum.

Delivery times are scheduled in 60-minute increments and the drivers have always arrived within the specified hour.

An outside company is contracted for the deliveries and tipping is expected. Basically, Walmart's less expensive prices are offset by delivery fees but it's still a real boon for those of us who can't drive.

I tried Instacart yesterday for Publix and they pushed out the scheduled delivery date ("sometime on Thursday") by 3 days without even notifying me. Pfft.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:32 PM

Which Walmart did you use? Are you talking about the neighborhood Walmart by Colony Plaza or did you go to a large Walmart like the one in Oxford off 466?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Veteran member

I have been using Walmart pick up service for a year. Now this crazy panic buying has caused an overload and I can’t get a pick up time. I buy what I need, not enough for a year. That is what is causing all these shortages. I expect wiser actions on our fellow Villagers. Leave some food for others.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
I fear you are going to get a lot of feed back on "trying to gain weight". I have been trying for 5 years and not having much (any) success. I know, millions of people will never understand, but I believe it is more difficult to GAIN than it is to lose weight. And I have an added problem.... anything I buy that is "fattening", my spouse seems to find before I can get to it and he has found all my hiding places, lol. And with the present crisis, I find all the "comfort foods" disappearing as fast as everything else...... so much for our gaining weight. Good luck to you and if you find a way, please share a PM.
Put your goodies in a box and label it TOFU.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I have been using Walmart pick up service for a year. Now this crazy panic buying has caused an overload and I can’t get a pick up time. I buy what I need, not enough for a year. That is what is causing all these shortages. I expect wiser actions on our fellow Villagers. Leave some food for others.
As for pick up times, I tried ordering food for my mother in Ohio through Kroger. Pick up time and date were 6 days from now. I'm thinking stores have alot of product, but not enough help to keep the time frame minimized.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

A little segue by me here, but I thought this thread about groceries might be a good place to share some info:

On the CNN website, Dr. Gupta has a very short video about sanitizing your groceries. It is not done in an alarming manner, just a practical, easy demonstration with info that can help.

Last edited by Boomer; 04-03-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Walmart also has grocery delivery and will leave a "no touch" order at your door or garage, etc. without a signature. They offer an unlimited plan for $12.99 a month, otherwise the fee varies from $8-10 per order depending on distance from the store. $30 minimum.

Delivery times are scheduled in 60-minute increments and the drivers have always arrived within the specified hour.

An outside company is contracted for the deliveries and tipping is expected. Basically, Walmart's less expensive prices are offset by delivery fees but it's still a real boon for those of us who can't drive.

I tried Instacart yesterday for Publix and they pushed out the scheduled delivery date ("sometime on Thursday") by 3 days without even notifying me. Pfft.
We ordered March 29th for a delivery date of April 2nd. Just now got a text stating delivery today. I'll believe it when I see it!!

Tags
publix, ordered, comparison, brands, grocery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.