Ground shaking in Village of Fenney

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Gold member

Many years ago we lived a short distance from a quarrying operation in Elmhurst, IL,
and frequently we would hear blasting and feel the house shake.
What I would be concerned about down here, is if the blasting
and earth shaking would be an added factor in sinkhole developement.
Might be a good idea to do some research to see if any correlation!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Many years ago we lived a short distance from a quarrying operation in Elmhurst, IL,
and frequently we would hear blasting and feel the house shake.
What I would be concerned about down here, is if the blasting
and earth shaking would be an added factor in sinkhole developement.
Might be a good idea to do some research to see if any correlation!
map of sinkholes in florida 2017 - Bing images
Old 03-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Gold member

Sinkhole FAQ | Florida Department of Environmental Protection
5. Will watering our lawn lower the water table level and thus cause sinkholes to develop in our neighborhood? back to top. Probable triggering mechanisms for sinkhole collapse may include drought, new construction, blasting, heavy ground loading, heavy rainfall and heavy groundwater pumpage.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Thank you
Old 04-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

I'm not worried about blasting, sinkholes, prisons, criminals, termites, rats, snakes or alligators. At this point in my life I'm concerned only with staying healthy, the rest doesn't matter.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Sinkhole FAQ | Florida Department of Environmental Protection
5. Will watering our lawn lower the water table level and thus cause sinkholes to develop in our neighborhood? back to top. Probable triggering mechanisms for sinkhole collapse may include drought, new construction, blasting, heavy ground loading, heavy rainfall and heavy groundwater pumpage.
Probably?
You may want to read this for some more factual information.
Sinkhole - Wikipedia
Old 04-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Sage

If it doesn't work sell and bail--we did it in a condo in Palm Coast after6 months-thats how we ended up here
Old 04-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Always wondered about that.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Blasting in the mine off 470.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Not only sinkholes,but also foundation and wall issues. The Villages homes are not build to be shaken.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I'm not worried about blasting, sinkholes, prisons, criminals, termites, rats, snakes or alligators. At this point in my life I'm concerned only with staying healthy, the rest doesn't matter.
One of the biggest parts of staying healthy is maintaining your stress level. I guarantee rats in your house, your $200,000+ house having a sinkhole or Foundation issues will be stressful.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
We have visited and rented in TV many times over the past 5-6 years. My parents have been full time residents for at least that long. I don't know yet if Fenney is my cup of tea which is why I am trying to read and gather as much info as I can from actual residents. Obviously, this topic caught my eye, as well as another current, related topic in this forum that also mentions hearing a PA system from a prison. Reminds me of a time many years ago when I rented a home on a temporary basis here in my home town that was about 100 yards away from a Burger King drive thru. Personally, I don't think the ground shaking for a few minutes once a week is that big a deal, especially if you know the source and it doesn't do any damage to anything and it doesn't occur in the middle of the night.

We have interacted with several of TV sales agents over the years and have found most of them to be very straightforward and nice. However, I'm a former licensed broker but I have never actually worked in the business. I am aware that there are differences between licensed brokers/Realtors and the sales agents as far as the rules and regulations they are bound to. That's not necessarily good or bad but is certainly something that is helpful to be aware of. In my experience, it doesn't matter, really, when you are shopping for a new home or a new or used car. The one latin term I learned in my broker class many years ago was "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware). Always do your own due diligence. That means do your research and learn how to look up tax maps and records, etc. Research is all I am doing here. Reading, commenting, and asking questions. I am, by no means, trying to bash TV or any particular part of it. My wife and I loved it there from the first time we visited. We are in the process of packing up our belongings and plan to make TV our new home town. We will be renting for at least 2.5 months while searching for homes.
The Villages is an amazing place and I love it. I live in the family neighborhood. I have been a realtor since 2005. I have family that have been sales agents. The biggest difference there is, if you ask me a question I am allowed to answer it as long as I am not lying or Breaking Florida real estate law. Sales agents can and will lose their jobs if they say something against the company. For example they will not tell you that there is mining within minutes of your house that can affect your home and property. And if you ask , they will give you a line given to them from their company that says it's no big deal. By the time you figure it's a big deal, they will be long gone or you will have no proof. As a realtor in the area I want to be upfront and honest about everything. I have been in the area for 29 years and have watched how they've dealt with other issues in the past. Everything is a battle. Now I'm not saying all Realtors are created equal.lol. You are 100% right do your own research and homework. The truth is whenever they build in new areas there are always some kind of issues. It is whether you are willing to live with the consequences of those issues ( sinkhole, Foundation damage, walls cracking, resale value, etc.). Or just plain and simple the annoyance of your house shaking.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Compared to my working life I would not consider anything mentioned above as being stressful. We were here for Irma and in the midst of the 07 Tornado and I slept through both of them.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Could be Harold Schwartz turning over in his grave.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

It could be worse. Friends of mine are going through this right now.

Strong mag. 6.3 earthquake - Hawaii on Friday, 4 May 2018 - information : 40 experience reports / VolcanoDiscovery

I'm all shook up! Elvis Presley: All Shook Up - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ground, fenney, shaking, village, seconds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.