In ground spa info

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Default In ground spa info

Would like to hear, pros and cons from those that have installed an inground spa. Also interested in the cost and maintenance fees when we are not there. We have had above ground models for eighteen years at our other home, just contemplating something different. I would think T and D would handle this, thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

A couple of neighbors have in-ground versions, as far as I know, maintenance is the same, $75/month from T&D pool and Spa. As for long term maintenance, aka pump replacement, etc., IMHO in-ground hot tubs will probably be more expensive as the equipment is harder to get to. No idea on the installation costs, will need input from others.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We found there were a lot less jets in a in ground
Old 06-23-2018, 05:21 PM

Do yourself a favor. Buy a Bullfrog above ground. Easier to get in and out of. When you buy your next house T&D will move it for a very reasonable fee.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Sage

We had a Softtub portable spa that was great and only cost $20 a month to run. We tired of it after about 5 years and gave it to our son and his family and they are now loving it. It had plenty of jets.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

In-ground spas are more aesthetically pleasing but cost is a consideration.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Do yourself a favor. Buy a Bullfrog above ground.
We tested a Bullfrog and didn't like it. We got a Vita hot tub at Spa Kingdom and we like it very much.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 AM

The comments above about in-ground are good ones; most spas are made to last, and have warranties, and are solid pieces of equipment. We find Bullfrog, Sundance, ThermoSpas to all be excellent. In-ground spas can be kind of "custom" in that many different pumps, shells, piping, insulation, etc. can be used (sort of "your own brand"). As noted, the big issues with in-ground spas are not as many jets, typically (in a standard one), and of course, then the piping, etc. is underground. We've had two service calls to "tighten" up joints/fittings/valves since the pump tends to shake things a bit over the years; that's easy to fix in an above-ground spa, not so much in an in-ground one. Maintenance is maintenance, and also, if you move, you can take a portable spa with you (if you want), or the new owners can get rid of it (if they don't want it - and believe me, some people DON'T want them) - however, having an in-ground spa and getting rid of it is a whole other story, and can be a complicated mess. Just my thoughts!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 AM

We had a in-ground spa, came with the house, seldom used it, developed a leak, outside of warranty, cost $1K+ to repair, was concerned about more leaks as it aged, removal was cheaper than having 2 more leaks fixed. Now we have a "dance floor" and more room around our pool.
Weekly maintenance by T&D was $25/month when added to pool service. Not sure what it costs as a stand-alone.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 AM

I have had two Hot Spring spas over the last eighteen years and have been very pleased with them. The only other above ground spa I would consider would be Sundance, but never say never. Thanks for the replies.
Closed Thread

Tags
spa, ground, home, years, models

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.