12 Foot Giraffe

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2021, 02:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts
Default 12 Foot Giraffe

I had to post this. I think it’s cool.

A buddy of mine here in TV, Jack Burgess, is an artist. He loves his work and still makes some bucks with commissioned artwork and with his public and private caricature sessions. He also creates custom, holiday-themed, lawn decorations out of plywood, such Santa Clauses, Halloween witches, and so on. He has been featured in local papers.

Someone from his old stomping grounds on the Eastern End of Long Island loves giraffes and told Jack as much. So, Jack spent about a month creating a 12-foot-high, painted, plywood giraffe that breaks down into sections. He just boxed it up and sent it off as a surprise gift.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-01-2021, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Wow! Amazon, I mean amazing. Good job.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

that's quite a conversation piece, I like it!
Old 05-01-2021, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I had to post this. I think it’s cool.

A buddy of mine here in TV, Jack Burgess, is an artist. He loves his work and still makes some bucks with commissioned artwork and with his public and private caricature sessions. He also creates custom, holiday-themed, lawn decorations out of plywood, such Santa Clauses, Halloween witches, and so on. He has been featured in local papers.

Someone from his old stomping grounds on the Eastern End of Long Island loves giraffes and told Jack as much. So, Jack spent about a month creating a 12-foot-high, painted, plywood giraffe that breaks down into sections. He just boxed it up and sent it off as a surprise gift.

The Villages Florida
Hum. Have they also sent a charter flight of villagers to the Hamptons to complain about
code violations?
Old 05-02-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

hope to see more
Old 05-02-2021, 08:34 AM
Default Great job

Definitely can see why people like his work. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Love it
Old 05-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

That is some impressive work. What fun!

I bet it causes some double-takes from people driving by. (I looked up the height of a giraffe and found the adult females are “up to” 14 feet tall and the males 18 feet, so that one is definitely in realistic range.)

Giraffe art is popular lately. They are such graceful creatures and look so gentle. My hometown zoo (Cincinnati) has a very nice area for the giraffes. There is often a zoo person on site to answer questions.

I think those Cincinnati giraffes might be a little spoiled and that’s OK. I say this based on one time when I was there, and it started to rain, not a heavy rain or a storm, just a plain rain. The giraffes headed for their barn — and the zoo person smiled, rolled her eyes, and shook her head because she knew they would soon insist she meet them at their barn door to let them in out of the rain.

Giraffes seem to have the power to make people smile. Thanks for sharing.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-02-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

When the guys go to lunch, Jack will create a caricature of our server on a napkin and give it to them. He used to be a fixture at Gosman's Dock in Montauk, drawing caricatures to go with his comedic banter. Down here, you might have seen him doing his thing at Eaton's Beach or at a Villages club or at someone’s house party. Nice guy.

He risked putting the giraffe on his front lawn for two days before sending it north. It did stop some traffic, but nobody complained.
Closed Thread

Tags
jack, plywood, loves, giraffe, giraffes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.