Hacked by the Dems ?

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Default Hacked by the Dems ?

My debit card was hacked by Onward Together for $5.29 three times today.
I did a search on them and it is a fundraising site created by Hillary Clinton in 2017.
I had to block my account and have new cards issued, what a pain.
Wish I knew how my card was violated it will remain a mystery.
I saw a another fellow on the web had the same thing for the same amount $5.29
Glad I review my accounts daily.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,105 Times in 2,233 Posts

Back on topic, there have been several big security breaches, as well as the recent Wawa breach. Any of these could have released your data on the dark web where it can be purchased and used. A relative had this happen recently, we actually had to CLOSE the entire account since the funds were debited electronically, it was suggested simply changing the card number might not stop the charges. Keep an eye on your account, if you see more charges, close the account, and get a new one with new cards, be very careful with DEBIT cards, CREDIT cards are much safer.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Or maybe it was someone PRETENDING to be them?
Old 02-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Back on topic, there have been several big security breaches, as well as the recent Wawa breach. Any of these could have released your data on the dark web where it can be purchased and used. A relative had this happen recently, we actually had to CLOSE the entire account since the funds were debited electronically, it was suggested simply changing the card number might not stop the charges. Keep an eye on your account, if you see more charges, close the account, and get a new one with new cards, be very careful with DEBIT cards, CREDIT cards are much safer.
Yes and that is why I don't use debit cards, I only use credit cards.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 AM

All debit & credit card websites have a feature available to activate a text when a transaction occurs. You can set the activity level at any amount. I currently have mine at $10. The text usually hits while I’m still at the counter. This will guard against unknown transactions or more than one of the same transaction.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This is the perfect answer. As a banker, it’s absolutely crazy how much fraud is out there. ACH’s (automatic electronic payments) and especially checks. Always look at your account to make sure you know what every transaction is. Most times any fraudulent activity on your account will require you to close it and open a new one.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:06 AM

When stolen credit cards are sold, the buyers usually test that the number is still valid. The favorite way to do that is to make a donation on a nonprofit website, which usually allow donations with a guest account. That way they don’t have to register, shop, pick out a lower dollar item, and check out. Nonprofits also typically have lower dollar thresholds—usually $5–for a transaction. It’s low so they can attract moredonors, but criminals like it cause it doesn’t eat up the credit limit quickly.

This was a very professional criminal who may, or may not, be expressing his political preference.

Last edited by nancymiller217@yahoo.com; 02-14-2020 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Missed word
Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM

And this is why I do not use debit cards.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM
TOTV Moderator

The topic is credit card fraud. A number of off topic and political posts were removed.

As an aside, the topics/threads chosen for publication in the TOTV Daily Talk email are done by some type of software algorithm not by human choosing!!!

If the replies continue off topic the thread will be closed.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM
theruizs

It’s kind of scary to think who some of our neighbors might be.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:57 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Onward is also a bbq grill company in Canada that sell grills like Grill Master and Huntington. Used them for parts with no problem.
Onward could be a lot of companies with same name
Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
All debit & credit card websites have a feature available to activate a text when a transaction occurs. You can set the activity level at any amount. I currently have mine at $10. The text usually hits while I’m still at the counter. This will guard against unknown transactions or more than one of the same transaction.
I agree that it is a good feature to use. But, all credit cards do not have it. The PenFed.org card doesn't have it. Also, some cards have the feature, but only send a text when the transaction goes from "pending" to "completed", which may be several days after you made the transaction. Not good enough. So, you need to verify that the credit card has the feature you want before establishing a new account.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 AM
TOTV Moderator

Two more rounds of cleaning up political and off topic replies.

People can't help but post political opinion replies.

I think many of us are well versed in credit card compromise situations.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
hacked, $5.29, card, pain, accounts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.