Handicap parking

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
FELONY????I think not. Can you quote me a statute #?
It may not be a felony, but it can put Doc in prison for a year plus a $2000 fine:
PA 10-110, § 24, which took effect June 5, 2010, requires people who issue certifications to sign the application or renewal application under the penalty of second-degree false statement (CGS § 53a-157b). A person is guilty of this crime if he or she intentionally makes a false written statement under oath or on a form bearing notice to the effect that a false statement is punishable, which he or she does not believe to be true and is intended to mislead a public servant in his official function. Second-degree false statement is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison, a fine of up to $ 2,000, or both.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
It may not be a felony, but it can put Doc in prison for a year plus a $2000 fine:
PA 10-110, § 24, which took effect June 5, 2010, requires people who issue certifications to sign the application or renewal application under the penalty of second-degree false statement (CGS § 53a-157b). A person is guilty of this crime if he or she intentionally makes a false written statement under oath or on a form bearing notice to the effect that a false statement is punishable, which he or she does not believe to be true and is intended to mislead a public servant in his official function. Second-degree false statement is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison, a fine of up to $ 2,000, or both.
Seems to me all the more reason a reasonable doctor would not falsify a handicap application. Why would they risk the punishment?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I kinda think the thread was submitted about those who manipulate the system and get a handicap permit....that sre not really qualified" to have one.

Of course none of us can judge that which we do not know about or readily observable...or not. However, I do agree there are far too many that have the permit that should not.

I know of two personally....and have had them tell me how to get one just because I am older than they are.

Right or wrong, we have all bserved some who are parking in the handicap spaces that does make one wonder.

I certainly do not imply those who are legitimate because......because.....because....the target is the phonies....and there are SOME!!!

btk
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I kinda think the thread was submitted about those who manipulate the system and get a handicap permit....that sre not really qualified" to have one.

Of course none of us can judge that which we do not know about or readily observable...or not. However, I do agree there are far too many that have the permit that should not.

I know of two personally....and have had them tell me how to get one just because I am older than they are.

Right or wrong, we have all bserved some who are parking in the handicap spaces that does make one wonder.

I certainly do not imply those who are legitimate because......because.....because....the target is the phonies....and there are SOME!!!

btk
For me the issue is only a doctor can determine who is legitimate and only a police officer has the responsibility to question someone for the correct paperwork. My wife and I have been confronted by a few "do gooders" here in TV as to why we parked in handicapped and as I told them our need to park in handicap parking is none of their business.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
For me the issue is only a doctor can determine who is legitimate and only a police officer has the responsibility to question someone for the correct paperwork. My wife and I have been confronted by a few "do gooders" here in TV as to why we parked in handicapped and as I told them our need to park in handicap parking is none of their business.
Good for you!!!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Default reply

The post is aimed at those phonies who just get a permit to park closer or use someone elses permit like a handicap spouse who 's at home.
You don't know how I feel when I drive to a store and find all the handicap spaces full. I would give anything to be able to walk for more then a short distance. I can't count the times I pass out from dizziness.
A few years ago I came out of a very long coma and now I'm on oxygen 24/7
If I can't park close and get a store scooter I have to turn around and go home.
It took me 2 years just to learn how to walk again and now that I can walk a short distance I would give anything to be able to live without being handicaped . Sometimes I park a little further away just to see if I can walk that far to the store my wife usually has to drive. I still have a very up hill battle .

Oh ! that felony law is for CT ; You can look it up if you wish.
So you see I really do know what's going on and by the way, I heard the DMV said you must be the driver on order to park in handicap spaces otherwise the driver must drop you at the door and park somewhere else, I haven't
confirmed this myself but I will.

Have a happy and healthy day
A
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post
I heard the DMV said you must be the driver on order to park in handicap spaces otherwise the driver must drop you at the door and park somewhere else, I haven't confirmed this myself but I will.
I believe that what you heard the DMV has stated is incorrect. I don't doubt for a second that someone from the DMV might have stated it, but in my years of experience in DMV matters as a Supervising Motor Vehicle Representative for the State of NY, I have seen a number of incidents over many years where a DMV employee has made incorrect statements, even by PR personnel to the media, because what they were stating what was influenced on their own personal opinion or by having receiving incorrect information themselves from another source!

In April of last year, incorrect information about handicapped parking was being disseminated by a poster here and the same misinformation was also given by former Lady Lake Chief of Police Nathanson in an article in one of TV's publications. Knowing there was no basis in law for the issue I pursued the matter for verification. After several communications with the chief and his in turn communication with the DMV it was determined that the information was in fact incorrect as I contended. I believe the same applies here, but no way am I spending the amount of time here as I did with the other handicapped permit issue.

If you go to the following post I made earlier this year, you'll see the final followup to what I describe in the above paragraph.

Followup on Handicapped Parking Issue
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Default The System

I know people who play softball and pickleball who have Handicap license tags. I know of 2 people who have handicap license tags that one Dr signed off on and another Dr told them they needed to walk more. They are very capable of walking but get upset if Handicap spots are unavailable. Too many people cheating the system.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 AM

I legitimately have a handicap tag. It took me a very long time to agree to get it. I had stopped going most places because I was afraid I would not be able to find a parking space close enough for me to walk. My children finally convinced me that I needed to get out of the house. I will use a handicap spot only if I absolutely have to. I try to leave them for people who may need them more than I do.

When my husband is driving, we never use handicap spots. He is quite capable of walking distances and will not use the handicap tag just because we have it. He drops me off, parks, then meets me.

I have trouble understanding why people do not have compassion for those who truly need the handicap spots. Believe me, I would greatly prefer to be able to walk several blocks.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post
The post is aimed at those phonies who just get a permit to park closer or use someone elses permit like a handicap spouse who 's at home.
You don't know how I feel when I drive to a store and find all the handicap spaces full. I would give anything to be able to walk for more then a short distance. I can't count the times I pass out from dizziness.
A few years ago I came out of a very long coma and now I'm on oxygen 24/7
If I can't park close and get a store scooter I have to turn around and go home.
It took me 2 years just to learn how to walk again and now that I can walk a short distance I would give anything to be able to live without being handicaped . Sometimes I park a little further away just to see if I can walk that far to the store my wife usually has to drive. I still have a very up hill battle .

Oh ! that felony law is for CT ; You can look it up if you wish.
So you see I really do know what's going on and by the way, I heard the DMV said you must be the driver on order to park in handicap spaces otherwise the driver must drop you at the door and park somewhere else, I haven't
confirmed this myself but I will.

Have a happy and healthy day
A
There is no doubt that some people will take advantage of any system. However just because all of the handicap spots are taken doesn't mean they were taken by people less deserving of using them. Also just because someone looks heathy when they park in handicap parking doesn't mean they shouldn't be parking there. It would concern me that someone that gets so dizzy is allowed by their doctor to even drive, my wife can't drive because she get dizzy sometimes on exertion, but who am I to judge and it wouldn't be right for me to confront someone that got so dizzy and still drove because I'm not their doctor. However, many feel they have the right to confront someone parking in handicap parking as if they know more than the doctor does. I think a very wise book say "Judge not lest yea be judged" or something very simular to that
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.