Happy hour at the squares.

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default Happy hour at the squares.

I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?
Old 09-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Difficult for me to consider the cost of a Double at the Town Squares an issue with: Leaving Americans Behind, Health Care costs, Climate Change, Hunger, Poverty, Homelessness to name a few going on in the USA.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Don’t you think it might have something to do with squares being closed for months and that the family isn’t running a charity . Do people tip less because price is up I would hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised . I never go to the squares until after 8 pm anyway unless it was special event and quite frankly no one I know puts happy hour as there first consideration when going out at night
Old 09-06-2021, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Happy hour, 5-7? Shouldn't that be happy 2 hours?
Old 09-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

All businesses are trying to recoup from last years losses. And, we know that once a price goes up, it seldom ever comes down.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Don’t you think it might have something to do with squares being closed for months and that the family isn’t running a charity . Do people tip less because price is up I would hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised . I never go to the squares until after 8 pm anyway unless it was special event and quite frankly no one I know puts happy hour as there first consideration when going out at night
I don’t know that people tip less - I don’t, but fewer people buying drinks will lead to lower total tips.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Difficult for me to consider the cost of a Double at the Town Squares an issue with: Leaving Americans Behind, Health Care costs, Climate Change, Hunger, Poverty, Homelessness to name a few going on in the USA.

What about reverse mortgages, the inconsistency of the speed of the greens, and the conditions of the 3rd fairway on Havana
Old 09-06-2021, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
What about reverse mortgages, the inconsistency of the speed of the greens, and the conditions of the 3rd fairway on Havana
Jus take out a reverse mortgage and put the funds into an annuity and take the stress out of retirement.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?
I don’t know, but would like to, if the “current generation”gets the revenue from the drink shacks. If so it must be a huge line item on there income statement!
Old 09-06-2021, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I wish somebody would post a complete list of the subjects that are considered important enough to post about.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I wish somebody would post a complete list of the subjects that are considered important enough to post about.
Start a thread.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

I was at Brownwood eating at Blue Fin Saturday night. The square was crowded. The bar at Blue Fin was full and there was a wait for tables. I saw a few people going to that bar shack but not many. I’m under 60 and wondered who or why anyone would use that bar. I guess it might be a generation thing? Blue Fin has happy hour from 11-7 and 8-close daily.( unless that has changed)
Old 09-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

I don't drink beer or wine, I'm just happy that they have liquor available in the shacks when I'm there. I don't go to Edna's for that reason but from what I understand they are always crowded so I guess they will stick with just beer and wine.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Jus take out a reverse mortgage and put the funds into an annuity and take the stress out of retirement.
While drinking your LifeBoost coffee!
Old 09-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

Chili's has 2 for 1 ....
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, happy, hour, people, drink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.