Happy hour at the squares.

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Difficult for me to consider the cost of a Double at the Town Squares an issue with: Leaving Americans Behind, Health Care costs, Climate Change, Hunger, Poverty, Homelessness to name a few going on in the USA.

It really bugs me when people compare world problems with everyday little things. The Villages changing the drinks cost can be discussed…..people are allow to think and talk about other things then the world crisis.
One thing has zero to do with the other……
Old 09-07-2021, 06:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?
Complaining about a 2for1 bourbon when the world is falling apart. Seriously???
Old 09-07-2021, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
For Your Information, Annuities are the worst investment you can make. Never purchase a Annuity!!!!!!
I believe that was SARCASM Sheldon...
Old 09-07-2021, 06:35 AM
Default You’re Not Alone

This all started when they reopened after Covid-19. It was to have less people standing in line to help with social distancing. As you can see it worked. But this should have ended long ago and go back to 2 for 1 on everything.
SO YOU’RE RIGHT! IT’S ABOUT GREED!!!
Old 09-07-2021, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Las Vegas is the same way, now everything is a revenue stream from parking to high priced restaurants even in cheap hotels you will find the resort fee is more than the nightly rate
Old 09-07-2021, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

He did say this is a minor issue but it's a buggy issue especially to people who like to drink on the cheap
Old 09-07-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?
I think this is a great post. The price of liquor in Florida is much lower then in the north. I felt that after a month or so it would go back to include mixed drinks. Could be money, could be supply , could be greed. People will find a work around. Example; 2 gin and tonics at city fire cheaper then at the hut. And better pours. Go there first then walk into square .
I tip on number of drinks, usually $1 each so it’s not about being cheap. The bartenders don’t set prices. And give them cash, not on card.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
After reading the OPs concern he was clear that his post doesn't move the needle on critical issues in todays world. Didn't you read that!
I did read.........Thank you for asking.....Quite nice of you.

But it appeared the Dog was confused so I thought I would add some clarification just in case it helped the four legged poster.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:10 AM

I rarely buy drinks at the squares, but I bought one last month and did notice that the bartender asked me if I wanted a double, which I thought was strange since during happy hour they would automatically give you one. I just past it off as maybe I was late for happy hour.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
I rarely buy drinks at the squares, but I bought one last month and did notice that the bartender asked me if I wanted a double, which I thought was strange since during happy hour they would automatically give you one. I just past it off as maybe I was late for happy hour.
I think the Happy Hour is 1/2 priced drinks.......so he/she was just wondering if you want two-4-one.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:18 AM

BYOB bring your own bourbon
Old 09-07-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Anyone who has been here for 10-15 years or more will tell you The Villages is not what it once was. The younger generation of the family certainly does not have the vision that their father and grand father had. What it has turned into is just an area of suburban sprawl with a name. It’s not to say it’s not a place where you can’t have fun but it has lost the magic the founders created with their vision. It’s a business and it’s all about money. Nothing wrong with that, its just the way it is. We either accept it or we leave.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:29 AM

Amen. You can readily see this (ie "money, money money" by the fact that they are selling WAY more homes than they have the infrastructure for -- ie not many new exec golf course, no town square in the south end etc. How many tens of millions of dollars is enough?
Old 09-07-2021, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
It really bugs me when people compare world problems with everyday little things. The Villages changing the drinks cost can be discussed…..people are allow to think and talk about other things then the world crisis.
One thing has zero to do with the other……
This post has 7 "Thanks" so far, including mine.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I have mentioned jokingly to the bar hut's manager that it is discrimination to eliminate hard alcohol from happy hour. He said that it was coming back but nothing yet. Two doubles is $18.00 plus tip.
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, happy, hour, people, drink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.