Happy hour at the squares.

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I would,Ike to thank all the reasonable and helpful posters who pointed out that my original post was superfluous. It has also been helpful to learn that drinking less would be desirable and that there are other places to imbibe reasonably, if necessary. Also, despite the fact I thought I made it clear that my complaint was relatively unimportant, some helped remind me that my complaint was relatively unimportant. If not for the helpful posters here I would have gone on making these mistakes in my life - Thank you!
Very well said.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
It really bugs me when people compare world problems with everyday little things. The Villages changing the drinks cost can be discussed…..people are allow to think and talk about other things then the world crisis.
One thing has zero to do with the other……
I agree, it is Talk Of The Villages. There seems to be a degree of disrespect on line. If discussing the cost of drinks at the square is unimportant to you, move on to the next thread.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:54 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
I would,Ike to thank all the reasonable and helpful posters who pointed out that my original post was superfluous. It has also been helpful to learn that drinking less would be desirable and that there are other places to imbibe reasonably, if necessary. Also, despite the fact I thought I made it clear that my complaint was relatively unimportant, some helped remind me that my complaint was relatively unimportant. If not for the helpful posters here I would have gone on making these mistakes in my life - Thank you!
Continue to enjoy the journey!!!!

Old 09-08-2021, 02:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?
Be CAREFUL drinking at Brownwood.
I think this might be the first?

Villager arrested after driving golf cart at 25 mph on Florida Turnpike
Old 09-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Q: I want to put in a pool, who do you recommend?
A: Don’t waste you money on a pool, there’s one across the street.

Q: Who can I use to cut my grass?
A: I cut my own
now you're getting it!
Old 09-08-2021, 04:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
This forum is about all things big or small about TV. When I read your post about the drinks on the square I thought it was fine. But I knew you would get snarky negativity about it. There are people here who only want to hear that everything in TV is just right. Sorry you and others go through this kind of thing.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very well said.
Bingo.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post

Was this uphill or downhill? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Was this uphill or downhill? Inquiring minds want to know.
She was southbound. Made it to the service plaza!
Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Be CAREFUL drinking at Brownwood.
I think this might be the first?

As he should be... Everyone knows they are limited to only 21 MPH!

-Tom Petty
Old 09-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Well it’s your turn to buy then!
Are you trying to say next round is on me.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Hey Ed,

TOTV -- It Is a-Changin' -- and it has been for a while.

When I saw your original post, I thought that it was good to see one of those "Slice of Life in The Villages" discussions starting -- that could be interesting for some to follow and/or take part in by adding something to the discussion. You know, just a little something to look in on once in a while, nothing serious -- the kind of talk we used to have a lot of around here.

But -- noooooo -- right outa the gate, you came under attack -- and the stage was set, the circling began -- kind of like those nature shows on television -- where it looks like the director shouts, "Cue the hyenas! Circle up!"

Your post was mocked. You were lectured. The thread quickly devolved into a piling up of snark, including a bunch of those "thank you" things at the bottom of those snarky posts, indicating a shouting of, "Fight! Fight!"

You and I both have been around TOTV since its heyday. I know I have tuned in early, with coffee, on many mornings, and looked around to see if there was anything I wanted to "discuss." I got into the habit, years ago, of writing posts like some might do crossword puzzles or knit -- kind of a hobby. And I have enjoyed it. . .But we both know that TOTV has changed.

Anyway, Ed, thanks for trying to have a discussion of a little bit of life in TV.

It has been weird around here for a while. I would think I would catch on and realize TOTV is not going to change for the better. (sigh) And, too often, now, it does not start my day off like it used to.

I am working on not getting caught up in the negativity -- but I have been known to argue with the agenda-driven among us. Not looking at those threads helps. But darn, I do like a bit of discussion of TV sometimes and also about things that might interest our age-group -- about retirement life or books or movies or whatever. Mundane, ordinary, general interest topics are good to see around here -- but that's not the lay of the land much anymore.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-09-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Just joined ToTV in July and sold your house already.
Thanks for staying connected to this declining place & educating the remaining 150,000 people.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:23 AM
John41

Quote:
I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?
It’s part of a larger trend of offering less for more.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hey Ed,

TOTV -- It Is a-Changin' -- and it has been for a while.

When I saw your original post, I thought that it was good to see one of those "Slice of Life in The Villages" discussions starting -- that could be interesting for some to follow and/or take part in by adding something to the discussion. You know, just a little something to look in on once in a while, nothing serious -- the kind of talk we used to have a lot of around here.

But -- noooooo -- right outa the gate, you came under attack -- and the stage was set, the circling began -- kind of like those nature shows on television -- where it looks like the director shouts, "Cue the hyenas! Circle up!"

Your post was mocked. You were lectured. The thread quickly devolved into a piling up of snark, including a bunch of those "thank you" things at the bottom of those snarky posts, indicating a shouting of, "Fight! Fight!"

You and I both have been around TOTV since its heyday. I know I have tuned in early, with coffee, on many mornings, and looked around to see if there was anything I wanted to "discuss." I got into the habit, years ago, of writing posts like some might do crossword puzzles or knit -- kind of a hobby. And I have enjoyed it. . .But we both know that TOTV has changed.

Anyway, Ed, thanks for trying to have a discussion of a little bit of life in TV.

It has been weird around here for a while. I would think I would catch on and realize TOTV is not going to change for the better. (sigh) And, too often, now, it does not start my day off like it used to.

I am working on not getting caught up in the negativity -- but I have been known to argue with the agenda-driven among us. Not looking at those threads helps. But darn, I do like a bit of discussion of TV sometimes and also about things that might interest our age-group -- about retirement life or books or movies or whatever. Mundane, ordinary, general interest topics are good to see around here -- but that's not the lay of the land much anymore.

Boomer
Personal opinion------this site was much better way back when we met monthly at Crisper's
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, happy, hour, people, drink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.