HAPPY Independence Day in The Villages!

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Plenty of flags in our neighborhood, including ours. Patriotism is alive and well.
Us too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9298 (2).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	80082  
Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

So, if you don't fly a flag, it is an indication that you are not patriotic?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Where I live, as soon as you enter St. Charles from Buena Vista traffic Circle for over a mile from St. James to the Buttonwood are flags on both sides of the road. Then on our street in Southern Star Villas, 13 villas and 12 have flags all along the curve. Everywhere I go I see flags. Doesn't mean you're anymore patriotic then the next person, it just means you like to show your appreciation.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Like to share two things....

First this quote from Adlai Stevenson....

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."

Secondly,

Appreciation for what the flag means to real honest heroes..Sen John McCain shared this story in a speech, a true story accredited many times over. Take the time to read it, if you will.

"As you may know, I spent 5½ five and one half years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. In the early years of our imprisonment, the NVA kept us in solitary confinement or two or three to a cell. In 1971 the NVA moved us from these conditions of isolation into large rooms with as many as 30 to 40 men to a room. This was, as you can imagine, a wonderful change and was a direct result of the efforts of millions of Americans on behalf of a few hundred POWs 10,000 miles from home.

One of the men who moved into my room was a young man named Mike Christian. Mike came from a small town near Selma, Alabama. He didn’t wear a pair of shoes until he was 13 years old.

At 17, he enlisted in the US Navy. He later earned a commission by going to Officer Training School. Then he became a Naval Flight Officer and was shot down and captured in 1967.
Mike had a keen and deep appreciation of the opportunities this country, and our military, provide for people who want to work and want to succeed. As part of the change in treatment, the Vietnamese allowed some prisoners to receive packages from home. In some of these packages were handkerchiefs, scarves and other items of clothing. Mike got himself a bamboo needle.

Over a period of a couple of months, he created an American flag and sewed it on the inside of his shirt. Every afternoon, before we had a bowl of soup, we would hang Mike’s shirt on the wall of the cell and say the Pledge of Allegiance. I know the Pledge of Allegiance may not seem the most important part of our day now, but I can assure you that in that stark cell, it was indeed the most important and meaningful event.

One day the Vietnamese searched our cell, as they did periodically, and discovered Mike’s shirt with the flag sewn inside, and removed it. That evening they returned, opened the door of the cell, and for the benefit of all us, beat Mike Christian severely for the next couple of hours.

Then, they opened the door of the cell and threw him in. We cleaned him up as well as we could. The cell in which we lived had a concrete slab in the middle on which we slept. Four naked light bulbs hung in each corner of the room. As I said, we tried to clean up Mike as well as we could. After the excitement died down, I looked in the corner of the room, and sitting there beneath that dim light bulb with a piece of red cloth, another shirt and his bamboo needle, was my friend, Mike Christian. He was sitting there with his eyes almost shut from the beating he had received, making another American flag.

He was not making the flag because it made Mike Christian feel better. He was making that flag because he knew how important it was to us to be able to pledge our allegiance to our flag and country.

So the next time you say the Pledge of Allegiance, you must never forget the sacrifice and courage that thousands of Americans have made to build our nation and promote freedom around the world.

You must remember our duty, our honor, and our country.

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

John S. McCain: Mike Christian: A POW Story
Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Patriotism should be displayed every day. The 4th of July is to commemorate kicking England's butt..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
In so many areas around TV, including my 'hood many folks didn't put out flags. Easy to see that patriotism is waning across the country
Patriotism is defined as: "strong feelings of love, respect, and duty toward your country".

For some people, putting flags in the lawn is an outward manifestation of these feelings.

For others, it may be changing their profile picture on Facebook to include a flag.

Times change.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage

"Waving the flag can be an outward sign of patriotism, but let’s not cheapen the term by ever suggesting that it’s anything more than a sign. And while it’s always fitting to mourn those who lost their lives simply because they resided on American soil, that too does not define patriotism."

"I’m a patriotic American because I revere the ideas that motivated the Founders and compelled them, in many instances, to put their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor on the line.

What ideas? Read the Declaration of Independence again. Or, if you’re like most Americans these days, read it for the very first time. It’s all there. All men are created equal. They are endowed not by government but by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. Premier among those rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Government must be limited to protecting the peace and preserving our liberties, and doing so through the consent of the governed. It’s the right of a free people to rid themselves of a government that becomes destructive of those ends, as our Founders did in a supreme act of courage and defiance more than two hundred years ago.

The True Meaning of Patriotism - Foundation for Economic Education

Wave the flag proudly, BUT live what it means always.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think I am correct in seeing a LOT of people who love this country who live here in The Villages. I don't think their patriotism needs to be examined or challenged.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Check all the different gate entrances. You'll see a variety of patriotic displays bought and put up by the residents of their Village.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default God bless america

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Where I live, as soon as you enter St. Charles from Buena Vista traffic Circle for over a mile from St. James to the Buttonwood are flags on both sides of the road. Then on our street in Southern Star Villas, 13 villas and 12 have flags all along the curve. Everywhere I go I see flags. Doesn't mean you're anymore patriotic then the next person, it just means you like to show your appreciation.

Thanks John was just going to post the same .. At Charles, Buttonwood, Bailey .. I've never lived in a community that has so many flags flying throughout the year, and has their yard lined with the little flags on holidays. I wonder if the glass half full posters bothered to put theirs out, or ride around the neighborhoods to see..or whether they just get their jollies grumbling.. It's a glorious holiday.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Many great responses. I salute you.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Patriotism

How about wearing shoes that feature the Betsy Ross-designed American flag? Would this be considered patriotic? Some troubled minds think it might be racist.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier that Nike (NKE) delivered the sneakers to retailers, but asked stores to return them to Nike after the company received a complaint from former NFL star Colin Kaepernick. The Journal indicated Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery.

Gee, I wonder if Kap knows G. Washington had slaves? Maybe the first prez's face should be removed from the money and his monument knocked down.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think I am correct in seeing a LOT of people who love this country who live here in The Villages. I don't think their patriotism needs to be examined or challenged.
The implication all over this thread is that not having a flag outside implies a lack of patriotism.

Patriotism is not words, not planting flags...it is living it each day with your actions.

As someone who has served this country proudly, in the militRy, in government and political work and in many charitable endeavors, many specifically in the name of and at the request of our country, comments like this are extremely offensive.

Someone said on this thread that Times change.....I agree, but this definition has not changed, and the lack of respect is apparent.

I am sure this will get reported and deleted...."Times Change"....but I need no help in completely defining and living patriotism to my country.

Last edited by Bucco; 07-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage

Frankly, while you folks are patting yourself on the back while counting flags, I suggest you look in the mirror, and ask if you are living the ideals of our great country, clearly stated but not repeated.

That is if you have time
Old 07-04-2019, 12:56 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Frankly, while you folks are patting yourself on the back while counting flags, I suggest you look in the mirror, and ask if you are living the ideals of our great country, clearly stated but not repeated.

That is if you have time
One of the ideals of this country is freedom of speech which you try to stifle with anyone who does not agree with you or questions your facts. You do not need to minimize the displays of patriotism by people who proudly display the flag of their country. My father in law had one placed on his casket so it truly means something.
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, put, country, flags, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.