HAPPY Independence Day in The Villages!

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
How about wearing shoes that feature the Betsy Ross-designed American flag? Would this be considered patriotic? Some troubled minds think it might be racist.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier that Nike (NKE) delivered the sneakers to retailers, but asked stores to return them to Nike after the company received a complaint from former NFL star Colin Kaepernick. The Journal indicated Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery.

Gee, I wonder if Kap knows G. Washington had slaves? Maybe the first prez's face should be removed from the money and his monument knocked down.
Unfortunately we live in a day and age that everything will be offensive to someone. People nowadays seem to go out of their way to be offended by something.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
One of the ideals of this country is freedom of speech which you try to stifle with anyone who does not agree with you or questions your facts. You do not need to minimize the displays of patriotism by people who proudly display the flag of their country. My father in law had one placed on his casket so it truly means something.
Sorry about your father in law for sure. God has him now.

I know that feeling from being there and then attending so many funerals of friends of mine, both made in Nam and at home.

I was responding to a post that implied that if someone does not have a flag they are not patriotic.

Not sure what you are offended by. Read the posts and imagine being a vet or whatever and not having a flag outside. Actually, the OP in the first post alluded to "patriotism waning" because HE did not see many flags. That is hogwash. From post 1 "Easy to see that patriotism is waning across the country." because this poster, in his opinion it was EASY to tell tht
NOBODY questioned anyone about flying flags...that was made up by the poster.....I simply am offended by this line "I don't think their patriotism needs to be examined or challenged." since nobody questioned anyone EXCEPT for alluding to patriotism as someone who flies a flag and thus if you dont....

And nobody minimized anything....EVER.

Patriotism is not adherence to ANY political stance, but love of country OVER AND ABOVE any political stance. When people are called names because of political beliefs or endorse that, it is a far cry from patriotism and in fact is the opposite.

Last edited by Bucco; 07-04-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Unfortunately we live in a day and age that everything will be offensive to someone. People nowadays seem to go out of their way to be offended by something.
YEP,,,,,every single day and it is a shame.

This is the one thing I, as an old man, can say....it sure is not like the old days wen personal attacks did not happen, at least in public.

You are correct
Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Good to hear from many of the folks here that in their 'hood in TV, flags ARE flying.

Retirees our age are no doubt THE MOST PATRIOTIC age group in the gold ole USA. Many independent studies have shown this; on the other hand many studies do show that 'being proud of the country' has waned in 'younger groups' over the years. Of course the USA is and never will reach perfection. In MANY people's opinion no other country comes close to OUR country for all the good points.

Patriotism need not be overtly shown with a flag around our homes or an emblem on clothing or such. But, there IS a strong evidence of patriotism by (at the least) one standing silently for the anthem with head covering off, and honoring our fallen heroes.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Good to hear from many of the folks here that in their 'hood in TV, flags ARE flying.

Retirees our age are no doubt THE MOST PATRIOTIC age group in the gold ole USA. Many independent studies have shown this; on the other hand many studies do show that 'being proud of the country' has waned in 'younger groups' over the years. Of course the USA is and never will reach perfection. In MANY people's opinion no other country comes close to OUR country for all the good points.

Patriotism need not be overtly shown with a flag around our homes or an emblem on clothing or such. But, there IS a strong evidence of patriotism by (at the least) one standing silently for the anthem with head covering off, and honoring our fallen heroes.
BUT.....YOU SAID THIS ORIGINALLY....
_____________________________-
" HAPPY Independence Day in The Villages!
Unfortunately, in some ways one wouldn't quite know it. In so many areas around TV, including my 'hood many folks didn't put out flags. Easy to see that patriotism is waning across the country... and sadly even in our Villages. Can't some folks show their pride and thankfulness for our GREAT country despite their personal issues with you-know-who?

If you do respond to this - DO NOT make it political. But, why else would folks NOT put out their flags etc.

sad

this new post is intended to be political but I think you know that and on behalf of all those VILLAGERS (since you specifically mentioned them) and others who are not flying sufficient flags to have you annoint them as patriotic, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW ?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
True, but when someone finds a version of our flag offensive and a major shoemaker recalls the shoes that display said flag. That is beyond despicable. I know I would never purchase one of their products.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default HAPPY Independence Day in The Villages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Unfortunately, in some ways one wouldn't quite know it. In so many areas around TV, including my 'hood many folks didn't put out flags. Easy to see that patriotism is waning across the country... and sadly even in our Villages. Can't some folks show their pride and thankfulness for our GREAT country despite their personal issues with you-know-who?

If you do respond to this - DO NOT make it political. But, why else would folks NOT put out their flags etc.

sad
For the same reason everyone doesn’t put out Christmas lights or Easter bunnies or Chanukah lights . NOT doing so doesn’t make them less patriotic or religious. You don’t need to flash symbols to prove you do or don’t believe in (edit: and/or love) something. It's what's in your heart that matters. While it likely wasn't intended to be, I find your post personally insulting (edit: and hurtful)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

img_1603-jpg
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-05-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
For the same reason everyone doesn’t put out Christmas lights or Easter bunnies or Chanukah lights . NOT doing so doesn’t make them less patriotic or religious. You don’t need to flash symbols to prove you do or don’t believe in something. It's what's in your heart that matters. While it likely wasn't intended to be, I find your post personally insulting (edit: and hurtful)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachment 80085
Thanks for your post. It may have been unintended, but lots of changes to explain...nothing.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Thanks for your post. It may have been unintended, but lots of changes to explain...nothing.
Yes, there have been a lot of changes both good and bad but the OP IMO is equating and incorrectly GENERALIZING a physical display of a symbol with one's lack of patriotism. That is absurd and insulting. There are a lot better ways to have expressed his feeling without insinuating (whether on purpose or simply due to lack of proper writing skills) that because, as an example, I don't hang a flag on my house on 4 July.
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, put, country, flags, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.