HAPPY Independence Day in The Villages!

HAPPY Independence Day in The Villages!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
In so many areas around TV, including my 'hood many folks didn't put out flags. Easy to see that patriotism is waning across the country
Patriotism is defined as: "strong feelings of love, respect, and duty toward your country".

For some people, putting flags in the lawn is an outward manifestation of these feelings.

For others, it may be changing their profile picture on Facebook to include a flag.

Times change.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage

"Waving the flag can be an outward sign of patriotism, but let’s not cheapen the term by ever suggesting that it’s anything more than a sign. And while it’s always fitting to mourn those who lost their lives simply because they resided on American soil, that too does not define patriotism."

"I’m a patriotic American because I revere the ideas that motivated the Founders and compelled them, in many instances, to put their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor on the line.

What ideas? Read the Declaration of Independence again. Or, if you’re like most Americans these days, read it for the very first time. It’s all there. All men are created equal. They are endowed not by government but by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. Premier among those rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Government must be limited to protecting the peace and preserving our liberties, and doing so through the consent of the governed. It’s the right of a free people to rid themselves of a government that becomes destructive of those ends, as our Founders did in a supreme act of courage and defiance more than two hundred years ago.

The True Meaning of Patriotism - Foundation for Economic Education

Wave the flag proudly, BUT live what it means always.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage

I think I am correct in seeing a LOT of people who love this country who live here in The Villages. I don't think their patriotism needs to be examined or challenged.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage

Check all the different gate entrances. You'll see a variety of patriotic displays bought and put up by the residents of their Village.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
God bless america
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default God bless america

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Where I live, as soon as you enter St. Charles from Buena Vista traffic Circle for over a mile from St. James to the Buttonwood are flags on both sides of the road. Then on our street in Southern Star Villas, 13 villas and 12 have flags all along the curve. Everywhere I go I see flags. Doesn't mean you're anymore patriotic then the next person, it just means you like to show your appreciation.

Thanks John was just going to post the same .. At Charles, Buttonwood, Bailey .. I've never lived in a community that has so many flags flying throughout the year, and has their yard lined with the little flags on holidays. I wonder if the glass half full posters bothered to put theirs out, or ride around the neighborhoods to see..or whether they just get their jollies grumbling.. It's a glorious holiday.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Many great responses. I salute you.
Patriotism
Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Default Patriotism

How about wearing shoes that feature the Betsy Ross-designed American flag? Would this be considered patriotic? Some troubled minds think it might be racist.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier that Nike (NKE) delivered the sneakers to retailers, but asked stores to return them to Nike after the company received a complaint from former NFL star Colin Kaepernick. The Journal indicated Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery.

Gee, I wonder if Kap knows G. Washington had slaves? Maybe the first prez's face should be removed from the money and his monument knocked down.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think I am correct in seeing a LOT of people who love this country who live here in The Villages. I don't think their patriotism needs to be examined or challenged.
The implication all over this thread is that not having a flag outside implies a lack of patriotism.

Patriotism is not words, not planting flags...it is living it each day with your actions.

As someone who has served this country proudly, in the militRy, in government and political work and in many charitable endeavors, many specifically in the name of and at the request of our country, comments like this are extremely offensive.

Someone said on this thread that Times change.....I agree, but this definition has not changed, and the lack of respect is apparent.

I am sure this will get reported and deleted...."Times Change"....but I need no help in completely defining and living patriotism to my country.

Last edited by Bucco; 07-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage

Frankly, while you folks are patting yourself on the back while counting flags, I suggest you look in the mirror, and ask if you are living the ideals of our great country, clearly stated but not repeated.

That is if you have time
Old 07-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Frankly, while you folks are patting yourself on the back while counting flags, I suggest you look in the mirror, and ask if you are living the ideals of our great country, clearly stated but not repeated.

That is if you have time
One of the ideals of this country is freedom of speech which you try to stifle with anyone who does not agree with you or questions your facts. You do not need to minimize the displays of patriotism by people who proudly display the flag of their country. My father in law had one placed on his casket so it truly means something.
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, put, country, flags, villages