dogs vs coyotes...?

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Default dogs vs coyotes...?

We just moved into Alhambra 3 weeks ago. Twice in the late evening we have heard what sounds like a pack of dogs or coyotes howling and barking. I know there are coyote around but has anyone actually seen any coyote or wolves in Alhambra or specifically knows of such, not just speculation but has actual knowledge of them being there?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
We just moved into Alhambra 3 weeks ago. Twice in the late evening we have heard what sounds like a pack of dogs or coyotes howling and barking. I know there are coyote around but has anyone actually seen any coyote or wolves in Alhambra or specifically knows of such, not just speculation but has actual knowledge of them being there?
There are hundreds of coyotes in this area. I take my dog out while still dark every morning and on several mornings, I have had to stand between them and my dog. For some reason she never notices them. They are afraid of humans, but stay close to your dog while out as they I’ll attack a dog.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Thanks. Hearing them in a pack like that is scary. Not just one but multiples!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

This could keep someone up for a while.

Coyote Pack Howl - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM

Wow, ok it did NOT sound like that lol. But it was a howl and a bunch of multiple animals barking. I think if I heard what is in that video without seeing anything I would assume a smaller animal was being attacked!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The last official report I saw was in the Village of Tall Trees, that's just behind Bob Evans on 466. A very busy and congested area, and yet two small dogs were snatched by Coyotes. One in broad daylight from the front yard while the owner stood just feet away. The one lesson learned is, don't let your dog off a leash.

Don't think you're safe in a CYV, just last month my neighbor was on a ladder trimming his Sylvester Palm when he saw two eyes starring back at him. He thought, they're awful big for a tree rat. Then the animal fell down and it was a huge Bobcat. The man came down the ladder and the cat was up against the wall and couldn't get out except to go by the man. Instead, he went right over the 7' wall.

We cannot put links on this site to Villages News, here'a google link and it's the top or first result

the villages dog taken by coyote village of tall trees - Google Search

Here's a photo of a Bobcat walking along the top of a villa wall in the Village of Hillsborough. This photo and a story are also in Villages News, which we cannot link.

The Villages Florida
Old 11-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Sage

A handful of years ago a man took his small dog outside (in their yard) before going to bed. A coyote came and snatched the dog and ran with it. We live between Hemingway and Mallory CC---have seen one running at dusk. Also, in the middle of the night heard (neighbors told us their security camera caught them) some barking and running between the houses.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
This could keep someone up for a while.

Coyote Pack Howl - YouTube

We lived in Norton, MA for a while, Our property had lots of woods behind us. We used to hear the howls in your video while sleeping. The first time was quite disturbing as we were not sure what it was. Thankfully we were inside at the time .

I do not recall hearing them here in TV, but I know they are around...
Old 11-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Coyotes are here. They are smart. They are survivors.

I remember reading, a few years ago, about at least two incidents of coyotes getting dogs in TV. Both times, it seemed to me, as if the coyote had observed a pattern of what time the dog would be vulnerable. ( just my theory, derived from the stories as reported)

One report was of a small dog let outside, just before coming back in for bedtime, might even have been on a leash, but always at about the same time. The other was about two small dogs always let out in the morning, in a backyard, for just a few minutes.

Coyotes are cousins to domestic dogs. Anyone who has a dog as a house pet knows that our dogs always seem to know what time it is: Time for food. Time to take their doggie pills. Our ETA when we were on a work schedule. (One of our dogs had her opinion on what time company should go home. She would go to the guests, glare at them, and then flounce back the hall to the bedrooms, only to return to do the same thing again and again.) Then there are the working dogs who always know what time to go bring in the sheep or the cattle.

Coyotes seem to have a sense of time, too, just like their cousins, our dogs, who live with us.

Coyote mating season is approaching which makes all wild animals more brazen — running wilder and hungrier than usual and then some with families to feed later. (Deer are hit more often during mating season because they often are running, single-minded, with no sense, just one goal, and then BAM goes a Buick.

I also remember at the time of these reports of losing dogs to coyotes in TV, TOTV had a couple of posters who were Wannabe Dead-Eye-Dicks. They posted cringeworthy threats, nutty visions of shooting coyotes in the streets. Oh, yeah, TV, with houses on top of houses, people everywhere. Duh. It never happened that I heard of, just a lot of ridiculous talk, probably brand-new gun owners with itchy trigger fingers and absolutely no clue. Scary and amusing at the same time.

Anyway, if you want to know more about coyotes, Google ‘coyotes and Florida’ and you can learn a lot about how to co-exist with them. Coyotes are here to stay.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-21-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinganimals View Post
They are real and they are here. Saw one last Thursday at 6am eyeing up the trash in my front yard. Lynnhaven... Peace out. Rae

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 PM

What street in Lynnhaven.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

With an ever shrinking habitat, due to development, the coyotes will find another way to survive and feed themselves and their young..
They have been around a long time, and adapted to change, just the same as us humans.
Unlike us though, they do not destroy habitats, lay waste vast tracts of land, dump millions of tons of waste, or worry about VIP seats at the squares.
All they need is a food source and somehere warm and dry to live, and just be a Coyote.
If the cost of their survival is the odd dog or cat, I am good with that.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

There are lots of coyotes in the area, as well as fox and bobcats. Have seen both foxes and bobcats in our yard and also seen coyotes where we walk our border collie in the Rio Grand area. Coyotes come out of their dens around dusk and hunt at night. When the parents let the pups out to begin the nights hunt they usually yelp a lot because they are so excited for what is play time to them. When the pack of yotes gets a kill, they yelp very loudly in celebration of their success in gathering a good meal.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
With an ever shrinking habitat, due to development, the coyotes will find another way to survive and feed themselves and their young..
They have been around a long time, and adapted to change, just the same as us humans.
Unlike us though, they do not destroy habitats, lay waste vast tracts of land, dump millions of tons of waste, or worry about VIP seats at the squares.
All they need is a food source and somehere warm and dry to live, and just be a Coyote.
Seriously??
Old 11-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

They have found a way to live in cities.

10 Fascinating Facts About Urban Coyotes – Urban Coyote Initiative, LLC

Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, coyote, coyotes, alhambra, specifically

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.