Harold Schwartz's Biggest nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Default Trees

Just Think" If it were not for Harold Schwartz you would not be here and you would not have anything to complain about. "Enjoy your not here much longer"
Old 11-30-2018, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Love your post Goldwingnut. Very informative.

The last big tree case in The Historic Section was on a street off Aloha, I know the address but don't want to hurt the people who bought the home. The neighbors tried their case, The Villages won and were allowed to remove the trees and then decided to trim them to satisfy the long-term residents in that particular hood. Sounds good right? They trimmed the tree and put in a beautiful New Home and the roots of the tree were decimated. I saw it with my own eyes. It appears they worked out a beautiful compromise but I wouldn't want to be near that tree in a heavy-duty storm. Progress happens. Deal with it. I love trees but they should have been removed. I hope no one gets hurt.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
It is a business and it can only lose money so long before either changing the way the business is run or shutting it down completely. . .
And the same can be said for The Villages. Let's pray that the Morses and any other owners continue to make money and want to continue running it so successfully that it continues to be the retirement paradise that many of us consider The Villages to be.

Without making profit, there would be no incentive!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

I have no idea what Mr. Schwartz would be thinking (and NOBODY here does, though some think they do). I only cared about where I was living and this is exactly why I didn't buy in the newer sections with all the younger people. It was a desert. I like my trees and developed landscape and didn't want to wait years to have that.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
Harold Schwartz went to great effort and thousands of dollars saving trees in Florida. He designed home sights around trees. Today that mindset is no longer the standard. Even in Marion County in the Villages, One person is on a crusade to cut down every tree he sees, pitiful to say the least.
I think you should read post #10.............
Old 12-01-2018, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly View Post
Subsidizing KB's as a exclusive club again for Villagers as a tribute to Harold and his vision would not only honor his memory and vision but perhaps his descendent's may look at money not as an the only end to their means.

All things weigh differently, many have no scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Imagine the INMATES running this place?
So who is going to "subsidize KB's" because the same "INMATES" that area already running The Villages, we the residents, are also paying the bills through our annual maintenance assessments and through our monthly amenities fees? It's nobody's rich uncle or "the developer", nobody owes you anything more than what you've already paid for, read your contracts for your home that you bought, it is very clear.

KB's is a privately owned business, are you suggesting that we use these monies paid by residents to directly subsidize and support a private business? I can assure you that the residents elected to the AAC, PWAC, and various #'ed CDD boards, as well as the rest of the residents living here (all of which are the Inmates) would never approve such a subsidy.

I've been amazed over the last 4 years at how quickly many people forget how the real world works once they move to The Villages. Businesses exist for one purpose and one purpose only, to make money for their owners and nothing else, if they happen to do some public good, philanthropy, or help support a worthy cause in the process then good for them. In the end it is still all about making a profit. That is not greed, that is business and that is how our economic system in this great republic works, and works better than any place else in the world. Nobody thought themselves greedy when they were working hard to amass their nestegg or pension that has allowed them to move here and enjoy the lifestyle we all now do. But suddenly now, when it becomes necessary to let loose some of their horded cash to buy something they want or need or some service they don't want to perform themselves all the businesses and their owners are greedy? PLEASE! Come back to reality, business still goes on even if you've forgotten how it all works.

One of the real beauties of our economic system is that it is self-righting; that poor business decisions are rewarded with failure and that good decisions with success and (that dirty word to some) profit. And the ones that get to decide if the decisions were good or bad are US, the consumers. We speak with our wallets and business owners listen with their spreadsheets, money talks! If you're unhappy with a business don't patronize it, if enough feel the same as you you will get the business's attention.

Time to put the soapbox away and go play golf. Have a great day everyone.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776

Last edited by Goldwingnut; 12-02-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

I went there three times and twice the food was inedible. Thank goodness for the lousy salad and roll with whipped margarine or something. Only thing I could stand. 2 strikes, one ball. Don’t think I am ever going again not looking for the third strike, going out at two.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Biggest Nightmares

Harold Schwartz's biggest nightmares may be? The Residents who enjoy the villages and then complain, the bikes riding in the middle of the road with no respect for the cars, the people who let their dogs use the lawns as bathrooms, the lack of respect for the circles and ignore the rules, the runners who ignore the golf carts on the paths, the restaurants who overcharge because they can, the snowbirds who forget there are people who live here year around and they should have the same respect for our property, those that over drink and put others at risk from their driving !YOU ADD THE REST,,
Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly View Post
Golf? Free golf? Subsidized? Lol

" Nobody owes you anything more than what you paid for", interesting.

Say you're not in the best of health yet manage to live till 93. You go through doctors and operations, treatments year after year from the day you were eligible for Medicare. By the time you reached 72 you ate up every penny you ever contributed into the SS system. So, what now? Let them eat cake?
Hmmmmm. This post is Verrrrrrrrry interesting. Can you hear me thinking about it? I sense a presence.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:17 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I think it’s funny that people think Harold can still have nightmares.
Me too. Everyone says rest in peace and then this happens.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I went there three times and twice the food was inedible. Thank goodness for the lousy salad and roll with whipped margarine or something. Only thing I could stand. 2 strikes, one ball. Don’t think I am ever going again not looking for the third strike, going out at two.
We've been there about 3 times since the Reno. Got 2 decent meals in a row. Our last visit proved there is a far different way to prepare chicken parmigiana than most others make it!
Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Who would that one person be and how do you know that? What has this to do with Harold Schwartz? I would think that his worst nightmare would be for harm to come to his family and loved ones. This statement might be overly dramatic or even wrong.

Here are my feelings on live oak trees. They are beautiful. They are majestic. They are protected to some degree by laws. They are also dirty to have in your yard and dangerous growing close to your home after they reach a certain size.

During last years Hurricane Irma, a huge Live Oak Tree fell that was growing right next to Laurel Manor Rec Center. It fortunately fell at night and toward the parking lot, minimizing damage that could have been terrible if it had happened when people were there.

No doubt trees are beautiful, but Americans have been clearing them to build structures for centuries.
I believe that there should laws against having live oaks within 100 yards of any home. As you say, they are dirty and not only make a mess on the property on which they are situated by they also are a nuisance to the surrounding homes. They are beautiful trees and belong in parks, not homesites.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I believe that there should laws against having live oaks within 100 yards of any home. As you say, they are dirty and not only make a mess on the property on which they are situated by they also are a nuisance to the surrounding homes. They are beautiful trees and belong in parks, not homesites.
I and many others would fight any proposal for such a law tooth and nail...not there ever will be one. Live oaks shouldn't be close to a home, but the safe distance is FAR less than 100 yards. They are beautiful and they require some maintenance...well worth the effort when in a good location.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-03-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have a "mama maple" in my back yard, that shadows the ground so heavily that we can't grow a lawn back there. So we don't try. We leave it "park-like" and let nature do what nature does best - which is provide natural beauty to our property. There's moss, and johnny jumpups, and clover, and shrubs and bushes and a bunch of different types of grasses, some gorgeous low-growing purple flowers, bee-balm, and some of the moss is so smooth and velvety it's a perfect putting green for my husband. If we had an oak tree in my back yard I'd be deliriously happy. They're absolutely stunning, and I recall fondly climbing one when we visited a plantation in Louisiana one year when I was in my mid-40's. I'd gladly climb another, and enjoy the view of the horizon on my wooden perch.

It saddens me that anyone would think these things are "dirty," as if that were a bad thing. Things that grow in dirt are dirty. It's sort of how it works. I'm sorry to see some people here aren't capable of appreciating *natural* nature, and require "planned artificial nature" to be happy with their lot in life.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have a "mama maple" in my back yard, that shadows the ground so heavily that we can't grow a lawn back there. So we don't try. We leave it "park-like" and let nature do what nature does best - which is provide natural beauty to our property. There's moss, and johnny jumpups, and clover, and shrubs and bushes and a bunch of different types of grasses, some gorgeous low-growing purple flowers, bee-balm, and some of the moss is so smooth and velvety it's a perfect putting green for my husband. If we had an oak tree in my back yard I'd be deliriously happy. They're absolutely stunning, and I recall fondly climbing one when we visited a plantation in Louisiana one year when I was in my mid-40's. I'd gladly climb another, and enjoy the view of the horizon on my wooden perch.

It saddens me that anyone would think these things are "dirty," as if that were a bad thing. Things that grow in dirt are dirty. It's sort of how it works. I'm sorry to see some people here aren't capable of appreciating *natural* nature, and require "planned artificial nature" to be happy with their lot in life.
Wow. I wish I could have expressed it as well!
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, harold, villages, marion, standard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.