Harold Schwartz's Biggest nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They cut down a lot of hundred or more year old oak trees on CR101 which broke my heart.
And we aren't allowed to take down one tree that is planted too close to the house. A live oak which gets at least 135 ft across and 100 ft tall is a poor yard tree on our small lots.

DO you remember the trees that were removed to build the Village of Duval? Especially the first or second street (maybe both) from Havana CC on the left.

I took a small live oak down in our front yard that would have dwarfed our house in no time. It was small, I didn't ask for permission since it would be easier to ask for forgiveness!
Old 12-04-2018, 05:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly View Post
Golf? Free golf? Subsidized? Lol

" Nobody owes you anything more than what you paid for", interesting.

Say you're not in the best of health yet manage to live till 93. You go through doctors and operations, treatments year after year from the day you were eligible for Medicare. By the time you reached 72 you ate up every penny you ever contributed into the SS system. So, what now? Let them eat cake?
Based on your Free Golf comment you obviously you don't understand how things are funded here in The Villages and who owns what.

The Free Golf here in The Villages isn't really free, the residents are paying for it as a part of the amenities budgets. Of the $112,406,826 in amenities budgets for FY19 $3,730,400 is scheduled to operate and maintain the 50 Executive courses plus and additional $740,000 is also scheduled for course improvement for the upcoming year. So the total golf budget is $4,470,400 or 4% of the total amenities budgets. These are the budgets that we all, as residents, pay into each month when we pay our monthly amenities fees. Is the golf really free? If I go to the starter shack to play 9 holes this morning and I take nothing out of my wallet to play then it would apparently be free, but it's not really because yesterday I wrote a check to pay my water bill and amenities, which paid for that golf.

Note the emphasis on Executive golf, that is the golf that is "free". The Executive courses are owned by the two central district governments, VCCDD and SLCCD, and not a company or business. The Championship courses are all privately owned and are not included in the "free" golf nor do they receive any funding from the amenities budgets. There is no subsidy paid to operate the Executive courses, it is simply a budget line item for an operating cost in a budget we all agreed to pay for.

The health care and Social Security comments are much to complex issues to get into on this thread, and it would be an apples-to-oranges comparison to the golf issue in any case. Simply put both of these (SS & medicare) are supposed to be funded by everyone and everyone receives benefits from them at the appropriate time. Yes, some will derive more benefit that others and many will contribute and receive no benefit at all.

It is not a perfect system, the biggest flaw being that they are run by politicians in Washington or at the State level who use these funds and create targeted and special entitlements, in my opinion, inappropriately. Fortunately for us here in The Villages the budgeting process is much simpler and there is clear visibility of where the money comes from and where it goes, if one takes the time to read and understand it. Additionally, here in The Villages we operate on a balanced budget and do not engage in deficit spending like the state and federal governments.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,501 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have a "mama maple" in my back yard, that shadows the ground so heavily that we can't grow a lawn back there. So we don't try. We leave it "park-like" and let nature do what nature does best - which is provide natural beauty to our property. There's moss, and johnny jumpups, and clover, and shrubs and bushes and a bunch of different types of grasses, some gorgeous low-growing purple flowers, bee-balm, and some of the moss is so smooth and velvety it's a perfect putting green for my husband. If we had an oak tree in my back yard I'd be deliriously happy. They're absolutely stunning, and I recall fondly climbing one when we visited a plantation in Louisiana one year when I was in my mid-40's. I'd gladly climb another, and enjoy the view of the horizon on my wooden perch.

It saddens me that anyone would think these things are "dirty," as if that were a bad thing. Things that grow in dirt are dirty. It's sort of how it works. I'm sorry to see some people here aren't capable of appreciating *natural* nature, and require "planned artificial nature" to be happy with their lot in life.
Leaves on roofs. Leaves in gutters. Leaves in yards. Leaves are dirty when they fall off trees. Many people call that a pain in the fanny as we grow older. What some think is beautiful others do not.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	roof-debris-stlouis.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	77617  

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-04-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have a "mama maple" in my back yard, that shadows the ground so heavily that we can't grow a lawn back there. So we don't try. We leave it "park-like" and let nature do what nature does best - which is provide natural beauty to our property. There's moss, and johnny jumpups, and clover, and shrubs and bushes and a bunch of different types of grasses, some gorgeous low-growing purple flowers, bee-balm, and some of the moss is so smooth and velvety it's a perfect putting green for my husband. If we had an oak tree in my back yard I'd be deliriously happy. They're absolutely stunning, and I recall fondly climbing one when we visited a plantation in Louisiana one year when I was in my mid-40's. I'd gladly climb another, and enjoy the view of the horizon on my wooden perch.

It saddens me that anyone would think these things are "dirty," as if that were a bad thing. Things that grow in dirt are dirty. It's sort of how it works. I'm sorry to see some people here aren't capable of appreciating *natural* nature, and require "planned artificial nature" to be happy with their lot in life.
Hear Hear! I used to live in a home that had two large oaks in the back yard, and five in front. On less than 1/4 acre. Yes, I raked 20 bags or more of leaves out of the yard every spring, but it was worth it. Cool shade, lots of birds, lower power bills, and a beautiful ecology going. I'd take an oak over a yard of rocks with a palm tree any day. Just my opinion.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Hear Hear! I used to live in a home that had two large oaks in the back yard, and five in front. On less than 1/4 acre. Yes, I raked 20 bags or more of leaves out of the yard every spring, but it was worth it. Cool shade, lots of birds, lower power bills, and a beautiful ecology going. I'd take an oak over a yard of rocks with a palm tree any day. Just my opinion.
To each their own. I moved 1300 miles to have palm trees growing in my yard and I love them.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Darn

Darn, God screwed up and gave us a beautiful tree that brings shade, someplace for birds to nest and protect their young, and adds to the beautiful landscape that keeps the Villages beautiful and green. He should know better as we get leaves and a yard that is slightly tattered from the leaves that we have to take care of. We were so happy sitting on the couch and watching TV and not having to move in nature. We are truly lucky to have this gift from God.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Leaves on roofs. Leaves in gutters...
Tree too close to house, or simply needs some branches trimmed. I have a beautiful oak tree on standard lot...never any leaves on roof.
Quote:
...Leaves in yards...
Small price to pay.
Quote:
...Leaves are dirty when they fall off trees...
I simply can't relate to that line of thought.
Quote:
...What some think is beautiful others do not.
A point we can agree on.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I and many others would fight any proposal for such a law tooth and nail...not there ever will be one. Live oaks shouldn't be close to a home, but the safe distance is FAR less than 100 yards. They are beautiful and they require some maintenance...well worth the effort when in a good location.
There is one on a property adjacent to mine. It's probably five feet from the property line and overhangs my property. It makes and incredible mess on my lanai and patio. It also fills my gutters with crap and is destroying my lawn by dropping acorns which are turning into little trees. Had I thought about this beforehand I wouldn't have bought this house.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Tree too close to house, or simply needs some branches trimmed. I have a beautiful oak tree on standard lot...never any leaves on roof.

Small price to pay.

A point we can agree on.
Small price to pay for what? I didn't retire to spend my life raking leaves, cleaning my gutters, and trying to remove crap from my patio.

I was hoping for a very low maintenance home. If you like the tree so much, you're more than welcome to come to my house and clean up the mess it makes. After all, it's a small price to pay.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:

Small price to pay.

A point we can agree on.
Dear good person. I am sure we agree more than you might think. Recently my ability to rake and bag has diminished, but my Ohio bred desire for cleanliness has not. I can recite, "I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree" and mean it sincerely. We have friends who have had huge bills from tree trimming in order to keep their home safe.

I will never forget that beautiful huge oak lying down in the parking lot on the morning after Hurricane Irma. They are big. They fall. They, are like the Czar and Tevye. I would like some distance from them. We don't have palms either. We love all of the pretty trees and bushes that line our streets here in The Villages.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
...I am sure we agree more than you might think...
I don't know...I already think we agree on quite a bit.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-04-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There is one on a property adjacent to mine. It's probably five feet from the property line and overhangs my property. It makes and incredible mess on my lanai and patio. It also fills my gutters with crap and is destroying my lawn by dropping acorns which are turning into little trees. Had I thought about this beforehand I wouldn't have bought this house.
I know you would be upset if something killed it and it had to be removed.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Small price to pay for what? I didn't retire to spend my life raking leaves, cleaning my gutters, and trying to remove crap from my patio.

I was hoping for a very low maintenance home. If you like the tree so much, you're more than welcome to come to my house and clean up the mess it makes. After all, it's a small price to pay.
I already have one on my property that I've maintained so it has no impact at all on my patio or house. And I do rake leaves on occasion. That is the small price I pay for the beauty, shade and nature that it provides. Then again, I did some homework before I purchased our home. But since you're being so kind and friendly...

You were hoping for a low maintenance home, and yet you bought the one you did. Nice job. Guess you should have done a little more homework and a little less hoping.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-04-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

It's like I'm reading the posts of insane people who have no sense of reason at all. You pay how much, exactly, for amenities that cover the destruction of all these trees just so you can have more gridlock whenever someone drives through a gate because they're new and don't know any better? You pay how much, precisely, for pesticides and chemicals so that your crabgrass is the same shade of green as the astroturf we use as a ground-cover under our small above-ground pool? YOU don't want to mow your lawn either, and that doesn't stop you from having one, does it? You probably don't like having red ants or termites, but YOU aren't the one who is spraying the insecticide to keep them away, are you? When your car needs servicing, YOU aren't the one who checks the belts and does the oil change are you? No, you hire people for these things. So why is it all of a sudden a big deal for YOU to have to rake leaves off your lawn? You have a landscaper on contract, or on speed dial. Raking leaves is one of those services landscapers offer.

As for overhanging branches: I don't know about the laws in Florida but here in Connecticut if my neighbor's branch is hanging over into my property and causing problems, I'm legally allowed to get up on a ladder and trim the branch to my neighbor's side of the fence. Or - I am allowed to hire someone to do it for me if I'm not able to climb the ladder myself. Although - I would probably just, y'know, ASK my neighbor if he'd mind doing it himself, before I'd go through the effort to have it done.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
It's like I'm reading the posts of insane people who have no sense of reason at all. You pay how much, exactly, for amenities that cover the destruction of all these trees just so you can have more gridlock whenever someone drives through a gate because they're new and don't know any better? You pay how much, precisely, for pesticides and chemicals so that your crabgrass is the same shade of green as the astroturf we use as a ground-cover under our small above-ground pool? YOU don't want to mow your lawn either, and that doesn't stop you from having one, does it? You probably don't like having red ants or termites, but YOU aren't the one who is spraying the insecticide to keep them away, are you? When your car needs servicing, YOU aren't the one who checks the belts and does the oil change are you? No, you hire people for these things. So why is it all of a sudden a big deal for YOU to have to rake leaves off your lawn? You have a landscaper on contract, or on speed dial. Raking leaves is one of those services landscapers offer.

As for overhanging branches: I don't know about the laws in Florida but here in Connecticut if my neighbor's branch is hanging over into my property and causing problems, I'm legally allowed to get up on a ladder and trim the branch to my neighbor's side of the fence. Or - I am allowed to hire someone to do it for me if I'm not able to climb the ladder myself. Although - I would probably just, y'know, ASK my neighbor if he'd mind doing it himself, before I'd go through the effort to have it done.
No one is forced to buy here. It is a CDD and the choice is yours. If this place sets your teeth on edge, it may not be for you. Please do not move here to change it. We have enough inmates who want to run the asylum. Most of us think that it is danged nigh perfect.

Our amenities do not cover the destruction of trees. The developer does a good job with the placement and maintenance of landscaping on common grounds and in foundation plantings that come with the house. The St. John's River authority is the government office for permission to remove Live Oak trees above a certain diameter and I am sure they follow all rules.

Our "Landscaper" cuts our grass only.. DH trims the bushes and rakes the leaves and removes the weeds and sprinkles go-away on the fire ants.. Many of us have lived carefully and avoid unnecessary expenditures when we can. It is how we have lived all of our lives and for many of us it is how we were able to retire here where there is no astroturf, etc. etc.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-05-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, harold, villages, marion, standard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.