Has anyone actually had window film installed

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Gold member
Default Has anyone actually had window film installed

We just had a proposal for 3M Prestige 50 film on our west-facing windows. Does anyone have experience with this product?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I have placed window film in my Alabama home, goes this count? I did it myself, having done it I would never pay anyone to do it if you can operate a razor blade, however It is your money. It did help, it was a 80% solution as compared to low e glass
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Platinum member

Some of our neighbors have done it and it seems too dark. Homes look like windows are burnt out.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:10 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
We just had a proposal for 3M Prestige 50 film on our west-facing windows. Does anyone have experience with this product?
I am familiar with 3M Prestige 70 which I thought looked fine. That is the one that lets in the most natural light while cutting out a lot of the bad effects of the sun. (But this was up north so I am not sure if Prestige 70 is used in the same way in hotter climates.)

3M has a lot of information on their website about the various films.

The sales rep should give you a sample of each one of the Prestige line of film to tape on your window to look at from inside and out to see how you like the appearance.

3M's film has evolved over the years to do a good job while not looking so obvious. But my only experience with it is in the north in a home that had a wall of windows facing west. The homeowners also had shades on those windows but wanted to enjoy the view and also protect the furniture, etc. As I recall, it was a decorator who had suggested the use of the film to protect the room contents from fading, as well as providing all the other advantages of film, including cutting down some on glare. I did not think the 3M Prestige 70 looked dark on the inside but I did not look at it from the outside. In fact, I did not think the Prestige 70 was very noticeable on the inside unless you were looking for it.

If I were you, I would read everything about it on the 3M site. Prestige is a somewhat more expensive film but it seems to offer some things that other films do not.

You might also ask your sales rep where you can see an installation. Sometimes commercial properties have Prestige on their windows.

If you decide to do this, you might want an experienced installer--even though it should not be that hard to do, there is some technique involved. And they should do a really good job of cleaning the windows first because you do not want to enshrine a big streak under that film.

(Geez. I fell asleep way too early tonight, woke up, and now here I am writing a dissertation on 3M window film at 3AM. Oh well, hope this helps. Study up on that 3M site. I think 3M is a good company and might even be the company that invented window film way back when. It's come a long way since.)

Last edited by Boomer; 04-02-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 AM
Sage

When we we lived in NC, we had Madico film installed , its prime function was for security and storm damage--it was the brad used on our overseas embassies--it also reduced UV and a/c costs
Old 04-01-2017, 05:20 AM
Sage

We had 3M "Night Vision 15" installed last December in our south facing dining room and entry windows to cut down the UV and heat and protect the furniture, flooring and wall pics.
The large bay window in the dining room has had heavy thermal blackout drapes for a few years but those made the room too dark all the time.

We like it.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 04-01-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We had it installed about 9 yrs ago on the windows in our sun room. As mentioned above, there are various grades. We had a darker one on the window that got the afternoon sun and a lighter one on the others. We don't even know it is there, have had no problem with it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-01-2017, 06:00 AM

We were told by the company that enclosed our lanai that having film installed voided the warranty on windows
Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Sage

3M salesman (a very big company) said it wasn't an issue.

Has "lifetime warranty" to original purchaser.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 04-01-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I have placed window film in my Alabama home, goes this count? I did it myself, having done it I would never pay anyone to do it if you can operate a razor blade, however It is your money. It did help, it was a 80% solution as compared to low e glass
ToyMeister,
Where did you buy the film, I was looking around a few months ago, and was unsuccessful for any local suppliers, all were purchase with installation.
Thank you, VT
Old 04-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
ToyMeister,
Where did you buy the film, I was looking around a few months ago, and was unsuccessful for any local suppliers, all were purchase with installation.
Thank you, VT
Google
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Our advice is don't do it. Several years ago we had a 3M window film product installed. (Hopefully the current product is improved.)
At first it seemed wonderful but over time the glass appeared distorted. We eventually had the film removed but it was next to impossible to get it off. I would never do it again.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
When we we lived in NC, we had Madico film installed , its prime function was for security and storm damage--it was the brad used on our overseas embassies--it also reduced UV and a/c costs
I think 3M also makes a security film in the Prestige line. If the security film is as tough as it is supposed to be, I would not be comfortable using it in a residential stationary window--one that could not be opened, in case there would be a need for emergency egress from the home.

(But maybe that's just me. I also find that stores that clog their aisles with way too many displays bring out my inner Fire Marshall, too.)
Old 04-01-2017, 12:01 PM

We had it tinted windows for 10 yrs in our old house and now 2 yrs here. It cut our a/c bill drastically. We also put in on our BR windows and unless lights are on, neighbors can no longer see in. I'm not sure it was 3m though as I filed away the documents. There is a man who lives in TV that installs it and is more reasonable and very knowledgeable. He gives a 5 yr warranty If anything happens to the film or your window.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
ToyMeister,
Thank you, VT
Amazon. Search solar widow film. 3M sells through dealers. Does that mean they have a better product?, Perhaps.

Will it be better enough to off set the savings of DIY, not a chance. It is your time, it is your money...
Closed Thread

Tags
film, west-facing, windows, product, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.