Has anyone actually had window film installed

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

3M Prestige has no metal content. Metallic content could interfere with cell phone reception. I don't know about other brands, but if using one, it might be a question to ask.

Here is the spec data for 3M Prestige:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/4...csi-format.pdf
Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I was looking specifically for 3M films, which seem to be sold only through dealers that do the installation, but using a Google search, I found other competing films that I may look at. my problem was I wanted to install on the WEST facing bathroom GLASS BLOCK windows, and none of the installers I contacted were interested in doing glass block, so I am still looking for info on doing this. For example, use one big sheet, and cover the joints, or use 18 smaller pieces for each glass block? Glass block is not completely flat, so will the film conform to the slightly contoured surface? Search for info continues....
Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
We just had a proposal for 3M Prestige 50 film on our west-facing windows. Does anyone have experience with this product?
You can buy a 3 x 15 piece of 3M Prestige film on Amazon delivered to your door for about $65...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There is so much dirt that settles on the outside of our homes here that I have not looked further into film, because of being not sure it can be cleaned as often and as thoroughly as it might be needed here.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I was looking specifically for 3M films, which seem to be sold only through dealers that do the installation, but using a Google search, I found other competing films that I may look at. my problem was I wanted to install on the WEST facing bathroom GLASS BLOCK windows, and none of the installers I contacted were interested in doing glass block, so I am still looking for info on doing this. For example, use one big sheet, and cover the joints, or use 18 smaller pieces for each glass block? Glass block is not completely flat, so will the film conform to the slightly contoured surface? Search for info continues....

Maybe 3M installers don't do glass block because it would not be covered by the warranty.

In a recent post here in this thread, Fraugoofy said the film is available on Amazon. Might be worth a DYI try. (I just looked at our shower's glass block and I can see glass block would not be easy, either in one piece or a bunch of little squares.)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:34 AM

We had 3M film placed on our only East facing window to try to keep the room from heating up in the morning. Unfortunately, we find no difference. The room remains hotter by several degrees than the rest of the house.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:27 PM

We used Advanced Solar Tinting--Larry Barney--lives in the Villages and he did a great job and his price was half of the others because he owns his own company and does the work himself--this was two years ago
Old 04-02-2017, 03:34 PM

Simple to do yourself or handyman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 03:37 PM

Home depot or Ace or Lowes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
You can buy a 3 x 15 piece of 3M Prestige film on Amazon delivered to your door for about $65...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Not sure it's the same stuff. Does not say Prestige
Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Gold member

I have Googled until my head is spinning. Searches just retrieve adds for installers. The few customer reports that turned up were 5 or more years old.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
I have Googled until my head is spinning. Searches just retrieve adds for installers. The few customer reports that turned up were 5 or more years old.
Hi Buzzy,

I have seen Prestige 70 and it looks good. I hope it works as well as 3M says it does. In Post #16 I linked the spec page from the 3M site. It has not only science stuff but also has some good general information. It says there that Prestige 70 is clear and Prestige 50 has a light tint. The Prestige 70 I saw was in Ohio. I wonder if Florida sunshine requires more of a tint. That is something the sales rep could tell you.

The person I know who has Prestige 70 likes it so far. They wanted to enjoy their view to the west, cut down glare, protect their furniture, artwork, and.......the wine in the built-in wine rack in the kitchen.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi Buzzy,

I have seen Prestige 70 and it looks good. I hope it works as well as 3M says it does. In Post #16 I linked the spec page from the 3M site. It has not only science stuff but also has some good general information. It says there that Prestige 70 is clear and Prestige 50 has a light tint. The Prestige 70 I saw was in Ohio. I wonder if Florida sunshine requires more of a tint. That is something the sales rep could tell you.

The person I know who has Prestige 70 likes it so far. They wanted to enjoy their view to the west, cut down glare, protect their furniture, artwork, and.......the wine in the built-in wine rack in the kitchen.
Thanks. I have seen all the product specs & literature. I would choose the 50 over 70 just for the Florida heat reduction. Nothing inside needs protection. The salesman was informative but obviously biassed. Looking for confirmation from customers.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

For what its worth .. We looked at a significant number of resales before purchasing in the Villages. All of the homes that had film placed on the windows were discarded from consideration, as we deemed them to be too dark and depressing: it didnt matter if the homes had solar tubes etc. Obviously others might have the opposite attraction / perspective.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What ever happened to blinds ?
Closed Thread

Tags
film, west-facing, windows, product, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.