Has anyone bought a Solar generator for a power outage?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2022, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

We have a Yamaha 2200 inverter generator for reliable power in a pinch. They are very lightweight, run very quiet, sip gas, are very reliable, and won’t harm sensitive electronic devices. Honda makes their version of this generator and you can’t go wrong with either one. Don’t wast your time and money on a solar generator.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottid View Post
I am more concerned about the possibility of blackouts due to power grid issues than storm related outages. With Biden's green mandate, coal and nuclear power plants are shutting down and there will not be enough power supply when there is peak demand. Also, we may again see interruption of the grid due to cyber hackers. I agree that solar powered inverters appear to be a nice solution but they are impractical at this time. I have a large propane tank for my pool, so I am installing a duel fuel portable Weatinghouse 9500W generator that runs on gas or propane. This will be connected to my main with a lockout switch.
Shutting down nuclear power plants? Where did you hear that one. The point is we need to reduce dependency on hydrocarbon fuels. Urging other alternatives is the mission.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
Shutting down nuclear power plants? Where did you hear that one. The point is we need to reduce dependency on hydrocarbon fuels. Urging other alternatives is the mission.
Google is your friend...

"Shuttered reactors include Indian Point Energy Center in New York, Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Massachusetts, Fort Calhoun Nuclear Generating Station in Nebraska and Duane Arnold Energy Center in Iowa"

Also: Access Denied

And: Reactors are closing – Beyond Nuclear

-Tom Petty
Old 06-23-2022, 08:32 PM

Diablo Canyon in Calif is their last one to go.

Last edited by keepsake; 06-23-2022 at 08:32 PM. Reason: gramar
Old 06-24-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsake View Post
Diablo Canyon in Calif is their last one to go.
I think Diablo Canyon is even closing down early. That's all the folks in Kalifornia need. Unfortunately, our national energy policy has been in a death spiral for years. They would rather give out rebates for idiotic solar panels than build a viable 4th generation nuclear power based foundation - walk-away safe, clean and green (no carbon footprint), 24/7, stable, minimal waste, easy to hook into the present power grid, and non-proliferative. Crazy.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
I think Diablo Canyon is even closing down early. That's all the folks in Kalifornia need. Unfortunately, our national energy policy has been in a death spiral for years. They would rather give out rebates for idiotic solar panels than build a viable 4th generation nuclear power based foundation - walk-away safe, clean and green (no carbon footprint), 24/7, stable, minimal waste, easy to hook into the present power grid, and non-proliferative. Crazy.
It's only stable if the water table doesn't drop too low. Good thing there aren't any nuclear power stations in the Colorado river, eh?
Old 06-24-2022, 01:48 PM
Platinum member

Solar generator? Suggest you buy a small generator similar to the type used by contractors with around 500 watts of power. This will run most small appliances and should cost about $750. Most of them are very noisy and dangerous due to Carbon Monoxide. Honda does make a smaller generator that is quieter. Almost everyone, who owns a house, has 1 in S. Florida.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's only stable if the water table doesn't drop too low. Good thing there aren't any nuclear power stations in the Colorado river, eh?
The NRC probabilistic risk assessment of the Diablo Canyon plant, including the seismic risk, estimated the possibility of core damage at 1 chance in 7.6 million reactor years. The D.C. reactors were commissioned around 1986 and have been producing approximately 18 million mWh of carbon-free electricity annually!

To your other point, power plants aren't build in rivers. There aren't presently any nuclear power plants in Colorado but there are plenty of places to build 4th generation nuclear power plants.

ref: https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1627/ML16277A340.pdf
Old 06-24-2022, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
They are now coming to their senses and reconsidering the closing of Diablo Canyon... But with California, who knows?

-Tom Petty
Old 06-25-2022, 05:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Your math is wrong! Though 100 sq mi is wrong too.
I've shown you mine, now show me yours.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I've shown you mine, now show me yours.
Today it takes about 2.8 acres to produce 1 gigawatt hour of electricity. The US is expected to use 4 million gigawatt of electricity hours in 2022.

4,000,000 GWh * 2.8 acres/GWh = 11.2 million acres
or 17,500 square miles to provide all US electricity requirements

Texas is 268,000 square miles or 15 times greater than the space required!

There is about 120 million homes in the USA. If you assumed 2,000 square feet per home of roof space for solar .... that equals:

120,000,000 x 2,000 = 240 million square feet
Or 8,600 square miles.

So rooftop solar could provide 50% of the countries electricity

Of course solar only needs to supplement hydro, wind, geothermal, nuclear etc.

The efficiency of solar panels has been steadily increasing .... So the it will take even less area in the future
Old 06-25-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200;
Today it takes about 2.8 acres to produce 1 gigawatt hour of electricity. The US is expected to use 4 million gigawatt of electricity hours in 2022.

Texas is 268,000 square miles or 15 times greater than the space required!

There is about 120 million homes in the USA. If you assumed 2,000 square feet per home of roof space for solar .... that equals:

120,000,000 x 2,000 = 240 million square feet
Or 8,600 square miles.

So rooftop solar could provide 50% of the countries electricity

Of course solar only needs to supplement hydro, wind, geothermal, nuclear etc.

The efficiency of solar panels has been steadily increasing .... So the it will take even less area in the future

daniel200;2110181
There are many items that require further definition to try to fit these "facts" into a rigorous analysis.: I have taken a quick look at what is published. Most are non scientific. None are rigorous analyses. Here are some comments:

1. "Today it takes about 2.8 acres to produce 1 gigawatt hour of electricity."
The correct term is 1 gigawatt hour per year since it is a power variable not energy.

2. There is no definition of how many solar hours are included? 8760 per year the sun always shines or 50% or ??? Definition required

3. The 2.8 acres is the area of the solar panels themselves. You need more like 4 acres to get the plant footprint. Note: there will be additional plot required for the batteries required to survive the nights and poor solar times.

4. If you try to put solar panels on every roof area you will decrease the power potential since areas facing N do not produce as well as those facing S. It will take more area and more solar panels.

5. "The efficiency of solar panels has been steadily increasing " That is true for new solar panels. However, once the panels are installed, they start to lose efficiency. Hopefully you break even

6. I am out of energy to try to delve into this further. I used to do this for a living, but now I am RETIRED! Good night!
Old 06-26-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ton80 View Post
daniel200;2110181
There are many items that require further definition to try to fit these "facts" into a rigorous analysis.: I have taken a quick look at what is published. Most are non scientific. None are rigorous analyses. Here are some comments:

1. "Today it takes about 2.8 acres to produce 1 gigawatt hour of electricity."
The correct term is 1 gigawatt hour per year since it is a power variable not energy.

2. There is no definition of how many solar hours are included? 8760 per year the sun always shines or 50% or ??? Definition required

3. The 2.8 acres is the area of the solar panels themselves. You need more like 4 acres to get the plant footprint. Note: there will be additional plot required for the batteries required to survive the nights and poor solar times.

4. If you try to put solar panels on every roof area you will decrease the power potential since areas facing N do not produce as well as those facing S. It will take more area and more solar panels.

5. "The efficiency of solar panels has been steadily increasing " That is true for new solar panels. However, once the panels are installed, they start to lose efficiency. Hopefully you break even

6. I am out of energy to try to delve into this further. I used to do this for a living, but now I am RETIRED! Good night!

The math was correct. The USA will require 4 million GWh in 2022. The 2.8 acres per GWh is an accepted average power output per acre per year based on southern US conditions. Weather/night/downtime etc are already included in this number.

I accept that this is a back of the napkin calculation. But the point is, to get to 25% solar in the US is not an impossible climb.

Iowa produced 55% of all its generated electric power from wind power in 2021! Texas produces 3 times as much power as Iowa but that translates into only 20% of Texas electric needs. These are real numbers … that include all of the things you are worried about (no wind, down time ..etc)

Solar does not need to produce 100% of our needs. Just augment the other options (hydro, thermal, nuclear, wind)
Closed Thread

Tags
generator, solar, power, outage, lights

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.