Has anyone else noticed all the road debris? Who cleans this up?

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Default Has anyone else noticed all the road debris? Who cleans this up?

Greetings:

I'm very new to the TV and this forum, so please forgive if this has been addressed.

I've noticed a lot of road debris in the local roadways, bike lanes, various intersections.....ie: gravel, hunks of metal, old accident debris, etc......and I'm wondering which branch of local government is responsible for the cleanup of the roads..... both in the City of Wildwood specifically (both in/out of TV) and/or Sumter County? I've seen this road debris at many intersections from 301 and Marsh Bend to Morse and 44. Does the City of Wildwood and/or Sumter County have a street sweeper(s) that anyone has seen? Is there a regular seasonal road sweeping schedule perhaps? Like I mentioned, I'm very new here and just wondering.... this forum is GREAT!!

Thanks much.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:56 PM
Default cleanliness

No I have not seems ,to be pretty clean, as usual....
Old 01-13-2023, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 972 Posts

I'm guessing that inside the bubble it gets cleaned up by the companies hired by the CDDs to maintain the flowers, shrubs and general cleanliness of the common areas.

Outside the bubble? It just sits there until whatever government agency has the responsibility to maintain that particular roadway gets around to dealing with it. Depending upon which specific roadway you are talking about, it could be city, county, state, or federal.

Which system delivers the best results? Federal, state, county, city, or privately contracted?

I have an opinion. I'll let you come to your own.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

A while back, there was a golf car wreck on one of our village streets. The patient/victim, who was unconscious and lying in the street, was treated and ultimately transported by VPSD. The ambulance and Wildwood Police cleared from the scene, and left behind a massive amount of medical trash lying in the street, to include blood soaked guaze. None of the 1st responders made any effort to collect the trash, even the potentially biohazardous stuff. Solution? I went home, put on latex gloves, and collected and bagged all the trash.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2delunatics View Post
Greetings:

I'm very new to the TV and this forum, so please forgive if this has been addressed.

I've noticed a lot of road debris in the local roadways, bike lanes, various intersections.....ie: gravel, hunks of metal, old accident debris, etc......and I'm wondering which branch of local government is responsible for the cleanup of the roads..... both in the City of Wildwood specifically (both in/out of TV) and/or Sumter County? I've seen this road debris at many intersections from 301 and Marsh Bend to Morse and 44. Does the City of Wildwood and/or Sumter County have a street sweeper(s) that anyone has seen? Is there a regular seasonal road sweeping schedule perhaps? Like I mentioned, I'm very new here and just wondering.... this forum is GREAT!!

Thanks much.
The grounds maintenance people do pick up trash that is in the ditches when they mow (in the summer, once a week...winter? I don't know). I don't know about stuff on the actual street. One would think that, if it poses a danger (sharp metal can cut tires), then law enforcement removes it, but that is just a supposition.

One very large gripe I (and others) have is the amount of trash on and on either side of the MMPs. That stuff isn't tossed out of car windows but is supplied by fellow Villagers, one can assume almost exclusively: various items chucked near bushes, hedges, on the path, or in areas that the maintenance guys don't mow. Empty liquor bottles, especially those little ones (one ounce?), seems to be a biggie, but I've seen larger ones as well; we used to call 'em "half-pints" back in the day but I don't know how much the contain now. Empty beer cans. Or not-so-empty beer cans; I've seen a couple of cans that apparently served as ashtrays until their owners decided to chuck them out of the cart. Lots of disposable vaping pods. A still-smoldering cigar. A pair of men's undershorts. Empty Styrofoam coffee cups. Something that very much resembled a used prophylactic. Broken sunglasses. And so on. Most or all "donated" by people who, if such detritus was strewn on THEIR lawn or sidewalk, would be yowling to high heaven. You don't see it from the street, but it is there, and very definitely does NOT fit the image of Neat, Clean and Orderly that is a pretty big selling point for prospective home buyers.

Maybe a volunteer organization? Something like the Adopt-A-Highway volunteer cleanups one sees in various states? I've been thinking about that.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
The grounds maintenance people do pick up trash that is in the ditches when they mow (in the summer, once a week...winter? I don't know). I don't know about stuff on the actual street. One would think that, if it poses a danger (sharp metal can cut tires), then law enforcement removes it, but that is just a supposition.

One very large gripe I (and others) have is the amount of trash on and on either side of the MMPs. That stuff isn't tossed out of car windows but is supplied by fellow Villagers, one can assume almost exclusively: various items chucked near bushes, hedges, on the path, or in areas that the maintenance guys don't mow. Empty liquor bottles, especially those little ones (one ounce?), seems to be a biggie, but I've seen larger ones as well; we used to call 'em "half-pints" back in the day but I don't know how much the contain now. Empty beer cans. Or not-so-empty beer cans; I've seen a couple of cans that apparently served as ashtrays until their owners decided to chuck them out of the cart. Lots of disposable vaping pods. A still-smoldering cigar. A pair of men's undershorts. Empty Styrofoam coffee cups. Something that very much resembled a used prophylactic. Broken sunglasses. And so on. Most or all "donated" by people who, if such detritus was strewn on THEIR lawn or sidewalk, would be yowling to high heaven. You don't see it from the street, but it is there, and very definitely does NOT fit the image of Neat, Clean and Orderly that is a pretty big selling point for prospective home buyers.

Maybe a volunteer organization? Something like the Adopt-A-Highway volunteer cleanups one sees in various states? I've been thinking about that.
We were driving on Morse Blvd away from sumter the other day and I mentioned to my husband about all the debris on the roadside, funny this post just popped up. Hopefully they will get at it soon.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:15 AM
Default road debris and street sweeper

I believe both Sumter County and Wildwood have street sweepers of their own. Call them about specific areas and give specifics along with names. As for the State, I had called numerous times about the bric brac and loose gravel at Buena Vista and 44 and received no help. If you are a bicyclist or motorcyclist you stand the chance of sliding on the pavement. Also the lack of timing for anyone to cross 44 at that intersection is deplorable. The State contracts road work out and it is lacking.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2delunatics View Post
Greetings:

I've noticed a lot of road debris in the local roadways, bike lanes, various intersections.....ie: gravel, hunks of metal, old accident debris, etc......and I'm wondering which branch of local government is responsible for the cleanup of the roads..... both in the City of Wildwood specifically (both in/out of TV) and/or Sumter County? I've seen this road debris at many intersections from 301 and Marsh Bend to Morse and 44. Does the City of Wildwood and/or Sumter County have a street sweeper(s) that anyone has seen? Is there a regular seasonal road sweeping schedule perhaps? Like I mentioned, I'm very new here and just wondering....
this forum is GREAT!!

Thanks much.
Yes I most certainly noticed alot more debris that ever before. We moved here in 2014 and it was pristine. IF you did see debris it was picked up in a very short manner. I am not bashing anyone just pointing out that we've seen a slight increase when the Snowbirds come. But know the garbage, TRAFFIC, overcrowding at Brownwood Square is something very different. I believe the building of the ridiculas HUGE development building south of 44. It's overcrowded, driving golf paths are hard to manuver, Theres so much less to do there they come North. I truly hope our quality of life is not effected by too many people
Old 01-14-2023, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Yes I most certainly noticed alot more debris that ever before. We moved here in 2014 and it was pristine. IF you did see debris it was picked up in a very short manner. I am not bashing anyone just pointing out that we've seen a slight increase when the Snowbirds come. But know the garbage, TRAFFIC, overcrowding at Brownwood Square is something very different. I believe the building of the ridiculas HUGE development building south of 44. It's overcrowded, driving golf paths are hard to manuver, Theres so much less to do there they come North. I truly hope our quality of life is not effected by too many people
Too much stress……is not healthy.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,788 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Too much stress……is not healthy.
Too much mocking…..is not healthy either.

Why doesn’t everyone make an effort to carry a pair of garden/work gloves and a plastic bag with them or on their carts. When out and about, spend 5 minutes picking up some of the trash and then go about your day. If everyone who is able does this, you’ll have pristine in no time. Great for the psyche and the body.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post

Why doesn’t everyone make an effort to carry a pair of garden/work gloves and a plastic bag with them or on their carts. When out and about, spend 5 minutes picking up some of the trash and then go about your day. If everyone who is able does this, you’ll have pristine in no time. Great for the psyche and the body.
Is it working for your psyche?
Old 01-14-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Because we pay a heafty monthly fee for this.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Because we pay a heafty monthly fee for this.
You don’t pay a “ hefty” fee, just average taxes. We get what we pay for..
Old 01-14-2023, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Is it working for your psyche?
Yup, always feel better leaving something looking nice. Doesn’t it help yours?
Old 01-14-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yup, always feel better leaving something looking nice. Doesn’t it help yours?
Every time.

Tags
road, debris, wildwood, and/or, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.