Has anyone else received a random "penpal" letter ?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts
Default Has anyone else received a random "penpal" letter ?

I received a (random ?) letter from someone named "Joey" stating that it was a "pen pal" experiment to see if he would get any responses from residents of The Villages. He said he simply chose random addresses from a google map of The Villages since he had been here many times to visit his grandparents who live off Rain Lily Loop, and said he knows seniors often enjoy getting letters. Also stated he recently graduated from Kennesaw State U. in Ele. Ed. and has been teaching 4th grade in an Atlanta suburb (didn't say which one). He did give his address as 918 Highbury Lane, Marietta GA. Said he enjoys getting mail and dialogue with others, states he is not by any means a scammer and is not asking for money or anything like that, just purely a pen pal experiment.

First time I have ever received anything like this, wondered if anyone else got a letter like this, or has ever gotten anything like this ? Strange part was, all this information but no last name.... I would have thought if actually a teacher and knew The Villages due to having grandparents here, he would have made it a point to put last name ??? What you any of you make of this ? Any one out there live on Rain Lily Loop and have a neighbor who has a grandson who just graduated from Kennesaw State ( I am familiar with that university) and teaches 4th grade ? ?
Old 05-05-2021, 06:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quite frankly, sounds like the beginning of a scam to me. This person could have just as easily picked out an address in Marietta from Google, saying he was from there. And who doesn’t include their last name?

It could be totally innocuous, but you’re going to have to protect yourself and quit with your detective efforts.
Are you lonely? Do you want to take the chance of providing personal information to a potential scammer?

If it were me, I’d let him “experiment” on someone else.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Send $1000 cash and see how it goes. Good Luck.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

No. I haven't.

If I were you I would not respond in any way.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,616 Times in 5,196 Posts

Sounds like a scam. If he really wanted to interact with the elderly, he could volunteer at or visit a retirement home in Atlanta.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I received a (random ?) letter from someone named "Joey" stating that it was a "pen pal" experiment to see if he would get any responses from residents of The Villages. He said he simply chose random addresses from a google map of The Villages since he had been here many times to visit his grandparents who live off Rain Lily Loop, and said he knows seniors often enjoy getting letters. Also stated he recently graduated from Kennesaw State U. in Ele. Ed. and has been teaching 4th grade in an Atlanta suburb (didn't say which one). He did give his address as 918 Highbury Lane, Marietta GA. Said he enjoys getting mail and dialogue with others, states he is not by any means a scammer and is not asking for money or anything like that, just purely a pen pal experiment.

First time I have ever received anything like this, wondered if anyone else got a letter like this, or has ever gotten anything like this ? Strange part was, all this information but no last name.... I would have thought if actually a teacher and knew The Villages due to having grandparents here, he would have made it a point to put last name ??? What you any of you make of this ? Any one out there live on Rain Lily Loop and have a neighbor who has a grandson who just graduated from Kennesaw State ( I am familiar with that university) and teaches 4th grade ? ?
With so many scams out there I would not get involved. Teasing a bit but my delete button seems to be wearing out.

You can if you wish research what that address is complete with pictures. Google, realtor.com, Zillow. You can easily get a phone number on line telephone directory.
Who or what it is? Perhaps, some kid doing a term paper wondering percentage that will reply by age group.

My view, I would be lost without my computer however part of the price of having a computer, a cell phone is a loss of privacy.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post

That residence is owned and homesteaded by Michael V & Maria E Lewis.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

I made a new pen pal from Nigeria a while back. He says he's the King's only son, but he can't fool me, as I think he has a couple of brothers. I went ahead and sent him $10,000 and he will be soon be shipping me 10 bars of gold in exchange. I keep checking my porch, but for some reason it still hasn't shown up - for the last 6 months. I still have confidence it's coming though.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

Yes, I got one. I deposited it in the trash can next to the post office .
Old 05-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Yes, I got one. I deposited it in the trash can next to the post office .
That is interesting. I and most assumed it was an e-mail. A mailed letter, someone paid the postage.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Everyone loves a good mystery.

Mail fraud is a serious crime. Most would drop it. I expect I would however, sending the letter to our police. Marietta police, might be a better idea-or not.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Platinum member

on your mail page, click on either "Block" or "Mark as Phishing".
Old 05-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
on your mail page, click on either "Block" or "Mark as Phishing".
OP said it was a letter. I took that to mean an actual paper letter sent via USPS.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Quite frankly, sounds like the beginning of a scam to me. This person could have just as easily picked out an address in Marietta from Google, saying he was from there. And who doesn’t include their last name?

It could be totally innocuous, but you’re going to have to protect yourself and quit with your detective efforts.
Are you lonely? Do you want to take the chance of providing personal information to a potential scammer?

If it were me, I’d let him “experiment” on someone else.
My feelings exactly. Retired university professor and we're definitely not lonely (though perhaps "Joey" could be ? But hard to believe that, new grad, just got first teaching position ?). Would never reply with so many "red flags"like that.... mentioning of "this is not a scam or asking for anything..." A teacher would most certainly mention the "intent" behind the experiment, and certainly give last name. A google of the address "Joey" did reveal, showed a VERY upscale home in the Marietta area ! That was also interesting.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
LOL! Yes, we did the same thing, looked it up !
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, received, letter, random, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.