Has anyone had any errors in their electric bill?

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

When we bought our home the tech. Told us when leaving for an extended period to set the temp at 82 and the humidity at 55. I'm assuming at this poin that it will stay dry while we are gone. I don't think I would trust leaving all the fans on in case one of them would malfunction.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I don't think I would trust leaving all the fans on in case one of them would malfunction.
We have a great home watch company who informs us of any problems, runs the dishwasher, checks everything for us.
We've been using the same home watch company for the past ten years.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We have a great home watch company who informs us of any problems, runs the dishwasher, checks everything for us.
We've been using the same home watch company for the past ten years.

2 minutes after your home watch closes the front door anything could happen. And they wouldn't know it until they came back, 7 days later.
A homewatch may give piece of mind, your home insurance gives you real piece of mind, the kind you can rebuild upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
2 minutes after your home watch closes the front door anything could happen. And they wouldn't know it until they came back, 7 days later.
A homewatch may give piece of mind, your home insurance gives you real piece of mind, the kind you can rebuild upon.
I know all about home insurance and real peace of mind -- don't get me started.
We had a house fire January 9 and the Insurance Company still doesn't have an Occupany Permit for our house.
We depend on our home watch company to be our eyes and ears when we're not in The Villages.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts
Default Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a little better. This is a new courtyard villa. We probably should set the air at a higher temp when we are not there. Just learning all this stuff. My wife thinks that they might have misread the meter by a 1,000 as was stated above. From what I have heard from everyone, the electric charges are pretty reasonable in the Villages.
As soon as possible check the accuracy of your thermostat because they are not always accurate. SECO is very good but that doesn't mean mistakes can't be made. Not everybody in TV has SECO. I know some have Duke Energy.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

For all the reasons listed above I have installed remote energy monitoring. It intentifes appliances, hvac units, etc and gives data on usage, even alerts. For 300.00 it was worth it to me. No monthly subscription cost. Sense energy monitor. Ok I admit to being a bit of a home automation freak, but you almost have to go be sure your home is ok or you aren't getting ripped off one way or another.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:51 AM

I suggest a Honeywell WiFi thermostat as long as you leave your WiFi on you can see what the temp is inside your house. Maybe you miss set it. WiFi alows you to switch from heat to cool and adjust temp four set times a day and to make chanes to the schedule anytime from your iphone or other mobile device. Gives me peace of mind to know what goes on when I am away!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 AM

Our last bill was $183 and we weren't there the entire month but we do have a pool. I think The Villages electricity is really high. We've had the house for two years and I still can't come to grips with the high utility bills.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VyAllen View Post
Our last bill was $183 and we weren't there the entire month but we do have a pool. I think The Villages electricity is really high. We've had the house for two years and I still can't come to grips with the high utility bills.
You didn't give any details, size of home, masonry or stick built, age of home, do you run the pool filter all the time, electric company? Our last bill was the highest we've ever had and it was $91.96 and we were here the whole time. It's a 2BR 2BA masonry CYV that is six years old with SECO. This is the cheapest electric we've ever had in Florida or anywhere. When we had a pool a few years ago the pool filter added $1 a day to our bill, but we felt the $30 a month was worth it for keep the pool clean and the chlorine just right. What is your thermostat set at? Ours is 83 and the home is very cool. Do you leave your thermostat turned low when you're not even home?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 AM

My electric bill ran $199 for the most current bill, this includes a pool, and having to run two 24 hour cycles for a chemical issue in the pool.
I keep my 2100 sq foot home cooled to 76 in the day and 70 at night.
mostly my bill runs about 160 a month and about 135 in the winter. This includes the pool. My heat is solar.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Really without a whole home energy monitor all of you are just speculating on individual causes of consumption of energy. I know, for example, that yesterday I used 55.9% of my electric energy in cooling, 6.2% in water heating .9% in stovetop and so on.

Last edited by Toymeister; 08-14-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM

We have a new house in Pine Hills, leesburg elec supplies our electric...highest bill in a year so far $105..[includes hot water heater and stove].you can't keep that temp set down to 74 or 75 or you will be paying $200 a month....when we leave we set it on 82...also the new homes have a built in humidistat, you should have that set at 65 percent and not worry about the temp. so much. you can have a humidistat installed on any home that doesn't have one, there a valuable asset
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Had the same thing a couple of months ago. Had Chuck Farrell put in a complete new A/C system. The first full months electric bill was the highest we have had in over 12 years. Called SECO - they were great. Said they would have a person re-read the meter. Called the next day and told me it was read wrong and they made the correction.....over $100 less. Great customer service! Last bill was 1/3 less than same time last year and this year was hotter. A/C paying for itself already.
You know I'm not so sure the power co. (Seco) is that dumb. When we lived up north our power co. when they would get an unusual high bill they would always catch it when they looked back on past bills & see that we've never had a bill higher in X amount of yrs. & it would throw up red flags & they would come back & double check without us complaining about it. Don't know why Seco wouldn't see red flags & say why is their bill 100 to whatever & say something isn't right here. My bill for this period was $116. our high in the last 5 yrs. was in the range of $70. but we ran the air conditioner more this yr. & we stayed here this yr. Don't know what to tell you other than have them come back & recheck it. You know I honestly think everything here is charge what they want because were all old or we come from parts of the U.S. where things are higher. I don't think TV do enough to help the 120,000 plus older citizens here.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by genobambino View Post
You can have a humidistat installed on any home that doesn't have one, there a valuable asset
Absolutely!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
In my opinion 78 when out of town wastes electricity.

The best A/C settings for seasonal customers | FPL Blog

"FPL recommends programming thermostats at 72 degrees for just two hours each morning before sunrise and at 88 degrees the rest of the time. This will help prevent mold by removing moisture from the air during the cooler hours, when relative humidity (RH) is highest and your A/C runs most efficiently."

Highly recommend an Internet accessible thermostat so you can get warnings if humidity levels rise.
We have a humidity control device on the wall underneath our thermostat that works "hand in hand" with the thermostat. We keep it ON when we are home. When we go away for any length of time (we were seasonal for three years in this home with the humidistat), we set the humidity control device to 60. When the humidity in the house rises to 60, that kicks on the air conditioner. The A/C does not kick on for a temperature setting, just the humidity setting.

The house can get very hot as long as the humidity is less than 60. This works like a charm. When we were seasonal, our electric bills for our designer home were about $40 in the middle of the summer. We would come back every January to find a perfectly clean home with no odor at all. Great device!

Last edited by coffeebean; 08-14-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, bill, left, company, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.