Has anyone here tried recumbent trike?

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

See Trikes, Recumbent Bike Gains Popularity With Older Riders - AARP B...
Old 04-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

I bought my recumbent trike (Catrike) 13 years ago specifically to ride here in the Villages. At first, I tried the MMs but tired of breathing cart exhaust. I would never ride it on the streets or in the squares for obvious reasons. I get more than enough exercise riding my regular circuit through my neighborhood and rarely come in contact with traffic. The worst scenario would be a car door opening or one backing out of a driveway. I can no longer ride a conventional bike due to the condition of my cervical and lumber spine. I highly recommend the recumbent trike for its stability and excellent aerobic and cardiovascular workout.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Anything to excess is dangerous;however, keeping the odds in your favor is smart
I know for certain that more than a dozen people have been killed in golf cart accidents in The Villages in the last ten years. But I still enjoy my golf cart and try to ride carefully.

I can't think of hearing of anyone killed riding a low bike here in The Villages.. We have avid bikers in our village who also ride low bikes occasionally. I laud their excellent health. I believe them to be in their eighties. I rarely see a low bike in the street with cars. I believe that to be dangerous.

I don't bike. I wish I could.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-18-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Default My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
If you had a recumbent trike, I would like your verdict on it before I go ahead and spend a fortune on it. Thanks.
I drive a car, drive a golf cart and ride a bike so see all of it from the seat of each.

I read somewhere that people simply do not recognize a bike as a vehicle. That is a polite view. Sadly far too many people do not care about anyone but themselves and seem to think they build themselves to ALMOST HUMAN STATUS by abusing others. There are sooooo many threads where people debate who is right in situations. SADLY, the odds of someone KNOWING the rights of a bike rider following the law is at best very slight. For that matter the same is true of bike riders.

As to a recumbent bike. If, we agree that people do not see as their head, their reflexes are looking for other cars, golf carts walkers, pets and combinations of them. What is your chance of being seen on a recumbent bike. The OP asked about a recumbent three wheeler. Having three wheels just compounds the problems as it has a wider footprint.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
A most dangerous machine. Buy a proper bicycle, you have at least a half chance of being seen in time.
Personally I would not ride any type of bicycle in TV even if paid to do so.
I ride my road bike every day when I am in TV. I have never felt safer. Have no idea what you are talking about. Never road a recumbent, I will leave the comments to those who have one.
I find with the multimodal paths and golf cart lanes, it is one of the safest places I have ridden, and I ride a LOT of miles.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire

Last edited by Packer Fan; 04-18-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I admit to thinking of recumbent bikes as the three wheel version. I see that low bikes can be two wheelers too.

All be careful.

recumbent bike - Bing images
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Suum Cuiqye.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I ride my road bike every day when I am in TV. I have never felt safer. Have no idea what you are talking about. Never road a recumbent, I will leave the comments to those who have one.
I find with the multimodal paths and golf cart lanes, it is one of the safest places I have ridden, and I ride a LOT of miles.

Ed
Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

I have a Catrike Villager and love it. Have had it for about 5 years and ride on the Withlacoochee trail out of Inverness. I do not ride around The Villages streets or golf cart paths as I don't want to interact with cars or golf carts. I understand that Santos now has a paved bike trail - I'm going to check it out. My trike is well worth the investment. I also participate in a bike ride twice a year at the Withlacoochee- nice events.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

I have a T-Trike, three wheel recumbent with motor assist which was offered as a freebie when I ordered it at the Outdoor show a few years ago. Though I hardly use it, mainly when the weather changes and I have to get home quick.

I ride around the Village and only problem is when major landscaping is being done.

Three wheel safer, though not as fast. Good exercise, outdoors not inside a gym. Very calming time.

Recomend to all.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

We have two Catrike Villager recumbent bikes and are very happy with them. They are very comfortable and we can spend hours riding with no tailbone discomfort. We primarily ride on neighborhood streets, and have encountered no problems with other vehicles. We have strobe lights on the front and rear of both bikes. We avoid riding when the sun is low in the sky making it difficult for drivers to see people or bike riders when driving into the sun. You just need to use common sence when riding any kind of bike, and be aware of what is going on around you at all times.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Another former bike rider but now a satisfied Catrike Villager owner here...

I ride mostly on neighborhood streets and MM trails because I just feel safer than on our roads with golf cart lanes.

I can understand why folks who are really serious bike riders would prefer bikes, but for my needs, the Catrike was a perfect choice. Comfortable ride and yet can provide as much of a workout as I want.
Closed Thread

Tags
recumbent, trike, fortune, spend, verdict

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.