Has anyone paid their Villages taxes here with a credit card?

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Has anyone paid their Villages taxes here with a credit card?

This is NOT a discussion to see if it is smart to do that, generally it is NOT because you pay a 2.5% fee, however doing so will get me a (NET after 2.5% fee and $95 card yearly fee) an $850 new credit card bonus from Chase (have to spend $4000 w/in 3 months). Since taxes come out in 2 weeks the timing makes it perfect as I can almost do it all in 1 shot then pay it off as I normally do.

MY QUESTION IS: If you have done so, does it get charged as a CASH ADVANCE or as a regular credit card transaction? Chase has no idea nor does the people who process the credit credit card (it's not done by the Sumter Tax folks but by a 3rd party). If it's a cash advance it wouldn't count towards the $4000 spend and more fees would be added.

Lectures on the reasons for NOT DOING THIS which are clearly acknowledged above have nothing to do with the question at hand! If you have done this elsewhere it won't help, only here for Sumter County taxes
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

This is just an opinion, but I cannot imagine that the bank would consider this as a cash advance. A cash advance is when you actually receive a cash payment. I believe that, when you use a credit card for a cash advance, the interest starts to accrue immediately after making the transaction, unlike a purchase. But, I would ask the bank the question directly.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Platinum member

I’d try again with Chase. If they don’t know, who does?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:00 PM
Platinum member

I pay mine with a credit card to get the airline miles. It is transacted as a regular charge.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage

We did that one year as we netted money after the credit card fee. It was not posted as a cash advance. I can't recall which bank's card it was but I doubt you would see it posted as a cash advance either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
This is NOT a discussion to see if it is smart to do that, generally it is NOT because you pay a 2.5% fee, however doing so will get me a (NET after 2.5% fee and $95 card yearly fee) an $850 new credit card bonus from Chase (have to spend $4000 w/in 3 months). Since taxes come out in 2 weeks the timing makes it perfect as I can almost do it all in 1 shot then pay it off as I normally do.

MY QUESTION IS: If you have done so, does it get charged as a CASH ADVANCE or as a regular credit card transaction? Chase has no idea nor does the people who process the credit credit card (it's not done by the Sumter Tax folks but by a 3rd party). If it's a cash advance it wouldn't count towards the $4000 spend and more fees would be added.

Lectures on the reasons for NOT DOING THIS which are clearly acknowledged above have nothing to do with the question at hand! If you have done this elsewhere it won't help, only here for Sumter County taxes
Old 10-11-2020, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

See if you can pay 100 and then look up the transaction on line.
I would stock up on grocery supplies. xmass gifts etc to minimize the amount that goes toward the fee.
Although you will not save on the fee you may want to pay your utilities a month or two ahead so when you are traveling you don't have to worry about missing a payment.
Remember the Villages are in three different counties. Which one are you?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This is just an opinion, but I cannot imagine that the bank would consider this as a cash advance. A cash advance is when you actually receive a cash payment. I believe that, when you use a credit card for a cash advance, the interest starts to accrue immediately after making the transaction, unlike a purchase. But, I would ask the bank the question directly.
Logically yes, but it always wasn't that way. Years ago a purchase of a Visa Gift Card using a credit card from a couple online stores used to be processed as a C.A. America Express gift cards directly from Amex used to be a C.A. There are a number of other examples of that if you are involved in the credit card "bonus hunting" community. Over the years made many thousands of dollars doing that. There were (probably still are) many internet communities that "specialize" in that. Haven't been involved in years so not sure how it has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I’d try again with Chase. If they don’t know, who does?
They don't and can't know as it depends on how the Sumter County credit card processor codes the purchase and they do notknow that according to them until it is processed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I pay mine with a credit card to get the airline miles. It is transacted as a regular charge.
Thank you! That is what I wanted to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
We did that one year as we netted money after the credit card fee. It was not posted as a cash advance. I can't recall which bank's card it was but I doubt you would see it posted as a cash advance either.
Thanks!

MODS: Please close thread. Thanks!

Last edited by EdFNJ; 10-11-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
See if you can pay 100 and then look up the transaction on line.
Remember the Villages are in three different counties. Which one are you?
Sumter. Can't do that as there is nothing to pay and you can't pay partial or with a zero bal. It's all or nothing.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I try to pay as much as possible with a credit card that gives me 2% back

not sure that the taxes can be paid that way without incurring a 2.5% charge
Old 10-11-2020, 06:56 PM
TOTV Moderator

Question answered; closed per OP's request.
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, card, fee, chase, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.