Has the Developer made Significant Charitable Contributions

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Has the Developer made Significant Charitable Contributions

The question was raised in another thread about whether or not the Developer had made some contributions for the good of humanity as a whole such as building a new school or hospital which will not directly benefit themselves financially other than maybe being named after them. The post went on to say that maybe we would all feel better if we knew more about the generosity shown by the Developer when it did not directly benefit him/them.

I have never heard about the Morses supporting a charity, and am really curious if they do so. We hear so much about the 4 jets he owns, the multi million dollar yacht, his ownership of the Villages banks, local newspaper, a television channel and an AM radio station. His realty company controls 60 percent of the re-sale market in the Villages. He even owns the utility company. And before someone jumps in and says he deserves it all, he's such a wonderful businessman, don't bother. I agree - he knows his financial P's and Q's. That's not what this post is about. But why do we hear nothing about charitable contributions? The guy is supposedly worth $2.5 billion. If we Google other billionaires we see plenty of charity donations - look at Gates, Buffet. Bloomberg, Ted Turner, and others. But I can't come up with a single charitable donation from the Morses.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Sage

And just why would that be any of your business???
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Sage

And why is this of any importance? Really. Just because anyone has worked hard and earned money, why are they obligated to do something that we have to know about? Do we really know what they do with their money? Why do we have to know....just so we can either feel badly towards them or smug about ourselves and what we, as non-millionaires, might be doing to help others? We really don't know their personal financial dealings and mere speculation might make some feel good or bad, but it is only that, speculation.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
And why is this of any importance? Really. Just because anyone has worked hard and earned money, why are they obligated to do something that we have to know about? Do we really know what they do with their money? Why do we have to know....just so we can either feel badly towards them or smug about ourselves and what we, as non-millionaires, might be doing to help others? We really don't know their personal financial dealings and mere speculation might make some feel good or bad, but it is only that, speculation.
It may not be important to you, but it obviously is to some people. Charitable contributions are considered a good thing in our society. Society looks askance at stingy people and values those who give their time and money to others in order to make the world a better place. In age of technology it is so easy to find public records of the many wealthy people and their contributions, I found it curious that nothing comes up for the Morses. Of course he is not obligated to contribute to the world's well being like some of the other billionaires have done.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

This thread is just another attempt to try to bash Gary Morse & his family.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

It appears there are more people that could care less that the one that does. I personally think that if they do make contributions, it is of no concern to anyone but them.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
It may not be important to you, but it obviously is to some people. Charitable contributions are considered a good thing in our society. Society looks askance at stingy people and values those who give their time and money to others in order to make the world a better place. In age of technology it is so easy to find public records of the many wealthy people and their contributions, I found it curious that nothing comes up for the Morses. Of course he is not obligated to contribute to the world's well being like some of the other billionaires have done.
I really think it is none of your business what he does with his money.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I applaud those billionaires and others from the Top 1% who do give to charities but the Morses have provided many Villagers with what seems to me to be wonderful retirement experiences. That is a kind of service to people IMHO.

I would bet that they do make charitable contributions however to whatever causes they believe in. These have great tax benefits so I would assume that their tax advisors have them making some kind of contributions.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Sage

Nothing comes up that we can see, but again, contributions could be made anonymously. Really, at least in my estimation, it boils down to emotions, we feel good when those with, give to those without and if those with, don't do as we feel they should, we feel badly towards them. No individual is obligated to provide their funds to others...doing so is a wonderful thing for those who benefit....but we have no idea what goes on financially with our community developer and to be perfectly frank, we don't have the right to know his financial obligations, contributions, etc. In my opinion, this situation with "them" and "us" is more emotional than anything else......people need scapegoats, makes them feel better about themselves and their situations. Mike and I worked hard for what we have....the Morses have done the same. All here have worked over the years and have decided, of their own choosing, to move to TV to enjoy what a hard working family has brought together. It isn't a country club, a resort, it's our home. Nothing is free, it wasn't where we left. Why do some expect that just because the builder has earned $$, he owes? Not picking on you, Mickey, you asked a legitimate question. It just gets tedious hearing the I'm/we're "owed" so often. Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now....
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Why are so many people so hung up on The Family? You live here in a development they built, you do whatever you want to do, you join and participate in clubs and entertainment that probably would not have been available in your home town. I presume you are enjoying your life here! Then, get over it, get on with your own lives and leave them alone.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Default Contributions

I think that's a good question. Why don't we see anything about contributions from the Morse? I hear they do make huge political contributions but I wouldn't call that a benefit to our society.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Just what I was thinking!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage

mickey100, is there a particular website(s) you used to search for the charities Morse or his family use for contributions?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Perhaps we don't "see" any charitable contributions made by the Morses because they don't make them.

Or perhaps they do it far out of the public eye.

I did find that his wife who died of cancer and for whom The Sharon Morse Hospital was named was involved in charity.

See here;

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...se-home-sharon

I will add that it seems to ME that Gary Morse and most of his family avoid any public appearances and do not seek attention to themselves. I would guess that would or could spill over to any good works that they MIGHT do perhaps privately.

It does look like I am a shill, doesn't it Mickey?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
mickey100, is there a particular website(s) you used to search for the charities Morse or his family use for contributions?
I did a general google search for morse, the villages and their corporation. There may be stuff out there and its just not coming up, who knows; I just wondered if anyone else was aware of anything because I can't seem to locate anything, which is rather strange.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.