Has the Developer made Significant Charitable Contributions

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

personally, I find it admirable that gary morse, his family or even anyone here on totv willingly contributes to a personal favorite charity and does NOT seek the limelight of publicity in doing so - as do folks like bates and buffett!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I don't think that OP was trying to "bash the Morse's"---- not at all. That is looking at the post from a negative point of view. By listing the "family" contributions to the Community could be considered something very positive IMHO. I don't see the point of "bashing" Mickey. And I might add----don't have any idea who "Mickey" might be.
All in fun, too much sun! Wait .... OP could be justjim! ..... hmmmmmm. I personally think OP was stirring the pot and did a mighty fine job at that. "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble." I'll bet he/she doesn't live here and has never visited. Wait ..... unless he/she got fired by the Developer .... hmmmmm. Tee Time.

Xavier
Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Sage

To my knowledge, Gary Morse is not running for public office. That is the only reason I know of why a person should disclose all their holdings/income/contributions/taxes.

But then, very few of the millionaires in Congress voluntarily disclose their wealth and donations:

"...Just 17 out of the 535 members of Congress released their most recent tax forms or provided some similar documentation of their tax liabilities in response to requests from McClatchy over the last three months. Another 19 replied that they wouldn’t release the information, and the remainder never responded to the query..."

Read more here: Most members of Congress keep their tax returns secret | McClatchy
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Ahh..where to start? First off in this form billionaires is a plural, not a possessive and does not need an apostrophy. The correct use of (there) is actually (their). .......
"Apostrophe".

Sorry, mack.......I just had to do it.

Pardon the interruption/hijack everyone- - - - - - carry on!

Bill
Old 03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
mickey100, is there a particular website(s) you used to search for the charities Morse or his family use for contributions?
Just go to Google and put in Gary Morse and then Mark Morse....a lot of interesting articles there.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
And furthermore, this was an easy Google search result, first page.

Developer Pays So Others Can Play
By Herky Cush of The Sentinel Staff, April 18, 1999
LADY LAKE - One million smackers.Gary Morse, developer of The Villages, is putting up big bucks for a charity tournament today featuring three of the top LPGA golfers. Hall of Fame golfer Nancy Lopez will be pitted against Juli Inkster and Helen Alfredsson in the $1 million Villages Charity Challenge.The three will tee off at 10 a.m. at the Tierra del Sol Golf and Country Club. Tickets for the event are $10.The tournament will be televised on a tape-delayed basis by FOX Sport Net from 2 to 4 p.m. June 26 and rebroadcast at another date to be determined.
And you thiink there was no publicity value considering it was 1999, 14 years ago soon?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum member

Anyone that pays taxes has contributed plenty.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Default The Sounds of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I don't think that OP was trying to "bash the Morse's"---- not at all. That is looking at the post from a negative point of view. By listing the "family" contributions to the Community could be considered something very positive IMHO. I don't see the point of "bashing" Mickey. And I might add----don't have any idea who "Mickey" might be.

www.mashable.com/2010/12/09/mark-zuckerberg/

Along with 57 other multi-millionaire and billionaire families and individuals, including Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Paul Allen and Carl Icahn, by signing the pledge Zuckerberg promised to give more than half of his wealth to charity, either during his lifetime or after his death.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
"Apostrophe".

Bill
Touche!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

The family gives a huge amount of money to the charter school system. Huge!

Suzy Toronto
Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I applaud those billionaires and others from the Top 1% who do give to charities but the Morses have provided many Villagers with what seems to me to be wonderful retirement experiences. That is a kind of service to people IMHO.

I would bet that they do make charitable contributions however to whatever causes they believe in. These have great tax benefits so I would assume that their tax advisors have them making some kind of contributions.
Not only have they provided over 100,000 people with a beautiful lifestyle, but they have provided tens of thousands of people with jobs. They have provided the federal government with millions and perhaps billions of dollars in tax revenue. Where would all those people be working today if not for this development
Think of all the people that work for the Villages, the restaurants, hotels and stores in Villages. All of those people pay federal taxes and spend money in the state paying Florida State sales taxes. What would this area of this state would be like if the Villages didn't exist.
How about the people who own stock in places like Publix and other businesses that have successful branches in and around the Villages. Think of all those people making a few extra dollars on those stocks because the Villages exist.
And don;t forget, all of the aforementioned people not only pay taxes to the various governments but also contribute large amounts of money to charities.

I think that we have to look at all of the charitible donation made by Villages residents and people who work for and in and around the Villages and realize that Gary Morse and his family should get at least partial credit for all that.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Not only have they provided over 100,000 people with a beautiful lifestyle, but they have provided tens of thousands of people with jobs. They have provided the federal government with millions and perhaps billions of dollars in tax revenue. Where would all those people be working today if not for this development
Think of all the people that work for the Villages, the restaurants, hotels and stores in Villages. All of those people pay federal taxes and spend money in the state paying Florida State sales taxes. What would this area of this state would be like if the Villages didn't exist.
How about the people who oen stock in places like Publix and other businesses that have successful branches in and around the Villages. Think of all those people making a few extra dollars on those stocks because the Villages exist.
And don;t forget, all of the aforementioned people not only pay taxes to the various governments but also contribute large amounts of money to charities.

I think that we have to look at all of the charitible donation made by Villages residents and people who work for and in and around the Villages and realize that Gary Morse and his family should get at least partial credit for all that.
And one poor soul up north a dream.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
"Apostrophe".

Bill
Bill, are you from Canada? If not, the period goes inside the quotation marks... i.e., "Apostrophe."

Sorry--I just had to do it too!

Carry on.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Default No Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Somehow they learned to do all of those things and built a much better mouse trap than anyone else. The quintessential American Dream. What we were all raised on.

To me that is an ugly kind of jealousy and class envy and very mean indeed.

They have become VERY wealthy in the last ten years. They didn't stop being people.

From another Posters Post: Mark Morse Kills Veterans Celebration and Vietnam Memorial Wall

Death of The Villages Veterans Celebration and Display of The Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall
Since there was NO approval for use of the Polo Field, Mulberry Plaza, Colony Plaza or any other site within The Villages or any other alternate proposal forthcoming from The Developer or any of his organizations, The Villages Veterans Celebration has been cancelled. The Wall is not coming to the Villages.

Since it is quite obvious that nothing goes on within the Developers Organization without Mark Morse knowing about it then it is quite obvious that Mark Morse killed the Veterans Parade and Celebration and The Wall.

Was it because his employees failed to give him the full story, or because he wasn’t making any money from the Veterans Celebration, or a desire to ignore just to ignore those pesky residents who are always asking for something; perhaps the celebration did conflict with the graduation party, maybe it was arrogance, laziness or insensitivity by Mark's advisors?

It really doesn’t matter since if Mark Morse wanted the Veterans Celebration a way would have been found. If Mark Morse cared about bringing the Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall to The Villages someone would have checked with The Vendor to fully understand its installation requirements. Maybe if Mark knew someone who was a Veteran, or one of his children was now serving in the Armed Forces his attitude might have been different.

TOGETHER WE CARE – DO THEY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
It's a damn shame the project was killed. By the outline provided much work went into this planned event. I find it hard to believe that with as many families in this community with veteran ties and the size of this community that a site for this great celebration couldn't be found. Sounds similar to the relay for life event. Nothing in it for Moffit no can do. What a damn shame.Just another kick in the teeth for veterans and their families.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Default You can start

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
The question was raised in another thread about whether or not the Developer had made some contributions for the good of humanity as a whole such as building a new school or hospital which will not directly benefit themselves financially other than maybe being named after them. The post went on to say that maybe we would all feel better if we knew more about the generosity shown by the Developer when it did not directly benefit him/them.

I have never heard about the Morses supporting a charity, and am really curious if they do so. We hear so much about the 4 jets he owns, the multi million dollar yacht, his ownership of the Villages banks, local newspaper, a television channel and an AM radio station. His realty company controls 60 percent of the re-sale market in the Villages. He even owns the utility company. And before someone jumps in and says he deserves it all, he's such a wonderful businessman, don't bother. I agree - he knows his financial P's and Q's. That's not what this post is about. But why do we hear nothing about charitable contributions? The guy is supposedly worth $2.5 billion. If we Google other billionaires we see plenty of charity donations - look at Gates, Buffet. Bloomberg, Ted Turner, and others. But I can't come up with a single charitable donation from the Morses.
Maybe if you list your income and show how much your charitable deductions are, and list what else you do for the less fortunate without a tax break, then maybe you could start a CONVERSATION. Until then, if the sun is shinning, go outside.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.