Has the Developer made Significant Charitable Contributions

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis44 View Post
Don't worry too much about it, Betty. It's the nature of the beast. Internet forums...all of them from my experience...have a lot of negative you have to filter through to get to the good stuff. The percentage of good stuff is higher in the TOTV forums than almost any other forums I've participated in. But some nastiness is inevitable. That doesn't change the fact that you're right about the happy, friendly nature of the people of TV...at least the vast majority of them. :^)
You are right. If you take a negative post and go back and read the posters other posts, you will usually see that the poster harps on the same negative thing, over and over and over.

You soon will see a posters screen name and think...Now what is wrong with so and so today and what is he going to say negative about this place?

The same is true of positive people. When I see certain screen names, I know that their posts will be fair, well documented, thoughtful and accurate and if they are upset, there is good reason for it.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You aren't just another pretty face, Mr. Wiz. I think that the seat of much of the anger toward the developer is political.
Mr. Wiz has some good insights. I've talked to him at Crispers. (Sorry to refer to you n the third person, GeeWiz. That's kinda rude on my part.)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Bill, are you from Canada? If not, the period goes inside the quotation marks... i.e., "Apostrophe."

Sorry--I just had to do it too!

Carry on.
My English Guru said Bill is correct---0ne word quotation mark goes before period---sentence----quotation mark goes after. Wish I had paid more attention in class instead of looking out the window because I have no idea..... Sorry for the distraction.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Gold member

I could care less what others give to charity. But must wonder was this thread another criticism of the wealthiest not paying their fair share?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I don't think that OP was trying to "bash the Morse's"---- not at all. That is looking at the post from a negative point of view. By listing the "family" contributions to the Community could be considered something very positive IMHO. I don't see the point of "bashing" Mickey. And I might add----don't have any idea who "Mickey" might be.
I'm sorry, but I definitely think it's a bash to the Morse family. No one has asked anyone else on this forum what they do with their money. I wouldn't even think to ask about you. Would you ask me if I give to charity? I doubt it. Just sayin'.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
personally, I find it admirable that gary morse, his family or even anyone here on totv willingly contributes to a personal favorite charity and does NOT seek the limelight of publicity in doing so - as do folks like bates and buffett!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Not only have they provided over 100,000 people with a beautiful lifestyle, but they have provided tens of thousands of people with jobs. They have provided the federal government with millions and perhaps billions of dollars in tax revenue. Where would all those people be working today if not for this development
Think of all the people that work for the Villages, the restaurants, hotels and stores in Villages. All of those people pay federal taxes and spend money in the state paying Florida State sales taxes. What would this area of this state would be like if the Villages didn't exist.
How about the people who own stock in places like Publix and other businesses that have successful branches in and around the Villages. Think of all those people making a few extra dollars on those stocks because the Villages exist.
And don;t forget, all of the aforementioned people not only pay taxes to the various governments but also contribute large amounts of money to charities.

I think that we have to look at all of the charitible donation made by Villages residents and people who work for and in and around the Villages and realize that Gary Morse and his family should get at least partial credit for all that.
Absolutely !!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
My English Guru said Bill is correct---0ne word quotation mark goes before period---sentence----quotation mark goes after. Wish I had paid more attention in class instead of looking out the window because I have no idea..... Sorry for the distraction.
I sorta get what you're saying, but I still disagree. Actually, it wasn't a sentence. I don't think one word would even have a period, unless it is a quoted declarative sentence, as in, She said, "Scram!"... in which case the end punctuation would still be inside the quotation marks.

Need to drag out my Gregg's, but it's up north.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Sage

Whenever I've bought a car from a dealer, or service of a doctor, dentist or lawyer, I see that they make a whole lot more money than I ever will....and it's customers/clients like me who help to make them wealthy, just like when I buy a house from a developer.

But I've never thought about demanding to see how much the car dealer, doctor, dentist or lawyer gives in charitable contributions. If they sell me excellent quality goods/home/car/services, I don't need to know if they are generous or stingy with charitable donations! That's their private information!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Eternal Member

OMG !!! Really people ! We are on page 10 in just one day worrying about the Morse families money. Why don't we all list the Village we live in, what house model we have, what we make a year & what charities do we all give to. I'm sorry this is really sad to think that this is the most important thing that you need to know in your life today !!!
Someone needs to just start a thread & say what a wonderful life we are living & just how happy we are to be alive & well and stop worrying about other people. Let's just take care of ourselves and enjoy what we have and put this crazy thread to bed !!!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Mr. Wiz has some good insights. I've talked to him at Crispers. (Sorry to refer to you n the third person, GeeWiz. That's kinda rude on my part.)
You and Gracie are both too kind.

It's interesting to think about why folks post. I mean this place is heaven on earth for retirees...but, that doesn't mean there aren't valid problems and disturbing questions (a brilliant idea by the Morse family who have been known to dance on the edge of IRS rules/ real estate law for a greenback...and as great as it is...TV is a company town...hopefully, a benign one). Given this concentration of power...a look at the Morse family values isn't as unreasonable as some folks suggest.

But, hey...I can swim all over...attend thousands of clubs...see a discounted movie....and get a nice lunch at Evan's Prairie...all from the relative comfort of my golf cart with the Radiohead sticker on the front - so call me a happy camper. So long as TV stays TV...the Morse family is AOK...I enjoy the fruits of his labor...and watch the whole legal thing unfold with a touch of humor and a bit of concern that all/some of us might end up with a bill in the end.

On a personal note....

Dear Mr. Morris, I will drop all concerns if you make a contribution to my favorite charity..."Help Gee find a new Mrs. Wiz." Please use your vast financial resources/power and introduce me to someone nice with an delightfully twisted streak...but, I digress...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Sage

Who is Mr. Morris?
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Who is Mr. Morris?
I believe the Wiz, in his excitement over the possibility of finding a new Mrs. Wiz, typed Morris instead of Morse, jblum.

Lord knows since I got my lovely fake fingernails, I type worse than a hunter and pecker. Did you get new fingernails, Gee? Probably not...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Looking for Mrs. Goodbar. Gee Wiz.

He should get a dog and bring it to Doggie Doo Run Run. Unless he already has one.
I have met a lot of very interesting people at DDRR since I started taking my dog there around January of 2007.
Some of these dog owners come from various Dell Webb communities as well as other suburbs that surround the Villages. Some of these are very attractive single females but there of course is competition for others seeking company via the dog park routine. I go for the pooch though as you do not want to poop where you eat so to speak. If the romance goes bad....

The Villages could do with some larger dog parks that is something that certainly needs doing by the Morses.

Gee Wiz is right that the Villages is far from perfect but it is a Utopia for some especially those who love to golf, get up early, and go to bed by 10 p.m. or so.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Does anyone really think that "build out" will ever be done?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Moderator; 03-18-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: removed quoted post that was deleted
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.