Has the Developer made Significant Charitable Contributions

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglow View Post
I think that's a good question. Why don't we see anything about contributions from the Morse? I hear they do make huge political contributions but I wouldn't call that a benefit to our society.
No, I would consider that a personal thing.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
The question was raised in another thread about whether or not the Developer had made some contributions for the good of humanity as a whole such as building a new school or hospital which will not directly benefit themselves financially other than maybe being named after them. The post went on to say that maybe we would all feel better if we knew more about the generosity shown by the Developer when it did not directly benefit him/them.

I have never heard about the Morses supporting a charity, and am really curious if they do so. We hear so much about the 4 jets he owns, the multi million dollar yacht, his ownership of the Villages banks, local newspaper, a television channel and an AM radio station. His realty company controls 60 percent of the re-sale market in the Villages. He even owns the utility company. And before someone jumps in and says he deserves it all, he's such a wonderful businessman, don't bother. I agree - he knows his financial P's and Q's. That's not what this post is about. But why do we hear nothing about charitable contributions? The guy is supposedly worth $2.5 billion. If we Google other billionaires we see plenty of charity donations - look at Gates, Buffet. Bloomberg, Ted Turner, and others. But I can't come up with a single charitable donation from the Morses.
Why would we want to know this & why would we care ?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Nothing comes up that we can see, but again, contributions could be made anonymously. Really, at least in my estimation, it boils down to emotions, we feel good when those with, give to those without and if those with, don't do as we feel they should, we feel badly towards them. No individual is obligated to provide their funds to others...doing so is a wonderful thing for those who benefit....but we have no idea what goes on financially with our community developer and to be perfectly frank, we don't have the right to know his financial obligations, contributions, etc. In my opinion, this situation with "them" and "us" is more emotional than anything else......people need scapegoats, makes them feel better about themselves and their situations. Mike and I worked hard for what we have....the Morses have done the same. All here have worked over the years and have decided, of their own choosing, to move to TV to enjoy what a hard working family has brought together. It isn't a country club, a resort, it's our home. Nothing is free, it wasn't where we left. Why do some expect that just because the builder has earned $$, he owes? Not picking on you, Mickey, you asked a legitimate question. It just gets tedious hearing the I'm/we're "owed" so often. Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now....
No one said anyone "owed" anything, or implied it. But I do have so much respect people of wealth who are trying to make our world a better place by using their wealth to do wonderful things like give vaccines to children in poor countries, helping education , etc,. I look at the Gates Foundation and have to applaud their generosity. It is human nature to look favorably upon people who try to do good in the world.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 AM

I don't know if the Morse family contributes to charities, or not. Just because it is not common knowledge as to their degree of generosity, does not mean that they do not contribute generously. They may choose to do so discretely, for whatever reasons that they do. Regardless, I consider it to be none of my business, and it has no bearing on my charitable contribution choices.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Who cares IF he donated to charity. He built a wonderful place for us to live, he built the Hospital we go to, the cancer wing that was added. He paid for road construction outside the Villages, he built a great Charter School, he's putting up money for Moorse Blvd to connect with Florida Tpk etc. I believe all these things that we know of have been quite charitable. As to WHAT charity he may or may not support I could care less and I'm certain many others feel the same way.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Would you mind opening up your finances and investments to the rest of us and then allowing us to see if a large enough percentage of YOUR income was given to charity. I would also like to see your tax returns for the past 7 years. If you would be so kind, please give us your account numbers and all of your pin numbers so we can verify everything. By the way..you did ask for a receipt each time you put some money into the red canisters at Christmas time, didn't you? Give me a break.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Who cares IF he donated to charity. He built a wonderful place for us to live, he built the Hospital we go to, the cancer wing that was added. He paid for road construction outside the Villages, he built a great Charter School, he's putting up money for Moorse Blvd to connect with Florida Tpk etc. I believe all these things that we know of have been quite charitable. As to WHAT charity he may or may not support I could care less and I'm certain many others feel the same way.
Agree -- done more for the surrounding areas than anyone before him!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Eternal Member

Of all the threads on TOTV, this one bothers me more than any of the ones I have ever read. To think that some would Google to find out if someone has made any charitable contributions just because they have made a lot of money. This is truly something that is VERY personal and definitely non of anyones business !! Who is next to be Googled ?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Well put. Still believe the Morses' tax lawyers would have them giving to charity for the tax benefits it provides. Probably something like their alma maters or local schools and universities, hospitals, etc.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 AM
nkrifats

Agree, not any of my business and not changing my way of thinking.
Not any of my business what they do with there money.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
The question was raised in another thread about whether or not the Developer had made some contributions for the good of humanity as a whole such as building a new school or hospital which will not directly benefit themselves financially other than maybe being named after them. The post went on to say that maybe we would all feel better if we knew more about the generosity shown by the Developer when it did not directly benefit him/them.

I have never heard about the Morses supporting a charity, and am really curious if they do so. We hear so much about the 4 jets he owns, the multi million dollar yacht, his ownership of the Villages banks, local newspaper, a television channel and an AM radio station. His realty company controls 60 percent of the re-sale market in the Villages. He even owns the utility company. And before someone jumps in and says he deserves it all, he's such a wonderful businessman, don't bother. I agree - he knows his financial P's and Q's. That's not what this post is about. But why do we hear nothing about charitable contributions? The guy is supposedly worth $2.5 billion. If we Google other billionaires we see plenty of charity donations - look at Gates, Buffet. Bloomberg, Ted Turner, and others. But I can't come up with a single charitable donation from the Morses.
When I donate to charity I feel it is a private matter. Perhaps, as others have noted, they feel the same. However, you have every right to ask the question without a tons of bricks coming down on you. I would hope anyone would be able to feel comfortable asking a question on this forum.

I do admire folks who give back, without financial gain to themselves. Don't most of us? You made some good observations regarding other billionaires.

Have a Blessed St Patrick's Day.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum member

William Hutton

“I have come to the conclusion that charity is only charity when you give goods, services or money without personal gain, benefit or recognition of any kind. True charity is anonymous.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Sage

Families with that kind of wealth tend to set up charitable foundations ans you don't hear a lot about the specifics. It's really nobody's business and as long as the IRS is happy no one else needs to know. Do you give 10% of your income to your church? is it any of my business and how exactly does it affect me?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
When I donate to charity I feel it is a private matter. Perhaps, as others have noted, they feel the same. However, you have every right to ask the question without a tons of bricks coming down on you. I would hope anyone would be able to feel comfortable asking a question on this forum.

I do admire folks who give back, without financial gain to themselves. Don't most of us? You made some good observations regarding other billionaires.

Have a Blessed St Patrick's Day.
Thank you. How funny and sad, really, that a simple question about the Developer's philanthropy has raised such ire and meanness from "the friendly" Villagers.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Well, as a fellow billionaire, I want to say a few words in defense of the Morse's and myself....What?....wait....I'm not a billionaire?.....not a millionaire?....just, gasp, middle class?!!! Oh dear, you sure know how to take the wind out of a person's sails. (But I still defend both of our rights to privacy)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.