It has to be great to set your own rate

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2021, 03:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
By about a two-to-one margin, the voters of Sumter County have already rejected the pseudo economics set forth both on this site (in posts by a couple of Developer defenders) and in the Daily Sun (in a series of so-called articles written by the Developer's Minister of Propaganda, David R. Corder). By electing the EMS Team to the County Commission, the voters decided that the current residents of Sumter County should not give the Developer hundreds of millions of their dollars by paying, through the residents' property-taxes, for county infrastructure that the Developer should be paying for through his impact fees.

Now, it is up to the new Commissioners, Messrs. Estep, Miller, and Search, to make good on their campaign promise by ending the Developer's sweetheart deal on impact fees and cutting our property taxes. With a majority on the Commission, they should do so NOW. Commissioner Miller is trying to do so. Commissioners Estep and Search voted to defer action until July.

Contact Commissioners Estep and Search and ask them to keep their campaign promise and to do so now. Deferral of action until July is putting millions of dollars into the Developer's pocket at our expense. The phone number Messrs. Estep and Search is 352-689-4400.
You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to your own "facts". Has it ever occurred to you that your basic premise is WRONG??
Old 02-23-2021, 05:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to your own "facts". Has it ever occurred to you that your basic premise is WRONG??
I've tried and tried to educate him/her............but not receptive.
Not sure what the driver is, but definitely has a slice to it.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I've tried and tried to educate him/her............but not receptive.
Not sure what the driver is, but definitely has a slice to it.
Afraid so. Bigger blinders than on a horse.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
And what basic premise is that?

The indisputable fact is that the current residents of Sumter County are spending tens of millions of their dollars to pay for county infrastructure that should be paid for by the Developer, thereby giving the Developer tens of millions of dollars. In fact, the Developer is only paying 40% of the cost of the new roads that his expansion is necessitating. (Look at the impact study.) The Developer is paying nothing toward the cost of his other infrastructure. To the extent that the Developer can pass on the increased costs of new impact fees to the new-house buyers, fine. New growth is then paying for the costs of new growth.

You and a couple other Developerphiles seem intent on not letting the facts interfere with your preconceived notions. Before you post any more rubbish, I would suggest you read the following to learn something about impact fees: Paying for Prosperity: Impact Fees and Job Growth
Old 02-24-2021, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
And what basic premise is that?

.....your indisputable facts are not.

Your false premise is that the Developer should pay for the county infrastructure. That is an opinion. Most independent consultants recommend discounts. Most Counties have issued discounts.

Another false premise is that increasing the impact fee to 100% is going to get the 25% increase reversed. It won't.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:

.....your indisputable facts are not.

Your false premise is that the Developer should pay for the county infrastructure. That is an opinion. Most independent consultants recommend discounts. Most Counties have issued discounts.

Another false premise is that increasing the impact fee to 100% is going to get the 25% increase reversed. It won't.
I have never said that raising the road impact fee would, by itself, raise adequate revenue to allow the 25% property-tax hike to be "reversed". Of course it wouldn't.

Raising it to 100%, which it should be, would allow a partial rollback. Imposing impact fees to cover ALL the Developer's infrastructure would allow a 100% rollback, conceptually. Remember the tax hike was enacted to pay for the new infrastructure, but it will take an impact study to develop the actual figures. Maybe a proper impact fee on all the new infrastructure would allow even more than a 100% property-tax reduction. We will only know once the new impact study is done.

Which "independent" experts, to whom you refer, recommend that a developer pay only 40% of the cost of his road infrastructure and 0% of the cost of his other infrastructure and that the current residents pay the rest? (I would agree that there may be certain circumstances where less than 100% would make sense, but I would submit that those circumstances do not exist in Sumter County.)

Did you read the Brookings report as I suggested? In case you are unaware, Brookings is one of the most renowned, independent, public-policy institutions in the world. It is a non-profit, with no axe to grind, and the report refutes what you and your colleagues have been posting on this issue. More importantly, two thirds of the voters in Sumter County concluded last year that you are mistaken.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have never said that raising the road impact fee would, by itself, raise adequate revenue to allow the 25% property-tax hike to be "reversed". Of course it wouldn't.

Raising it to 100%, which it should be, would allow a partial rollback. Imposing impact fees to cover ALL the Developer's infrastructure would allow a 100% rollback, conceptually.should be paid for by the Developer Remember the tax hike was enacted to pay for the new infrastructure, but it will take an impact study to develop the actual figures. Maybe a proper impact fee on all the new infrastructure would allow even more than a 100% property-tax reduction. We will only know once the new impact study is done.

Which "independent" experts, to whom you refer, recommend that a developer pay only 40% of the cost of his road infrastructure and 0% of the cost of his other infrastructure and that the current residents pay the rest? (I would agree that there may be certain circumstances where less than 100% would make sense, but I would submit that those circumstances do not exist in Sumter County.)

On January 19th, you stated the 25% would be rolled back by eliminating the Developer sweetheart impact fee deal. This is why you are so upset with EMS because they have not done it yet. There are probably more posts from you, you can search.

You are learning (finally), increasing the impact fee to 100% would give a partial reversal of the 25%. Maybe 2%. I know this 2% figure is a shock to you, but I'm glad you finally realize it. All this whining over a discount which equated to 2% increase.....what??, $50/year???

Your statement, "Imposing impact fees to cover ALL the Developer's infrastructure would allow a 100% rollback, conceptually." is totally wrong. (false premise, again) Included in the 25% tax hike was to cover increased operational expenses. These expenses are unrelated to the infrastructure costs. Increases the impact fee to cover 100% of the infrastructure costs will not cover increase in operating expenses.

Need expert opinions.................Google and call them. Call Tindale Oliver if you want. The 40% fee was presented as an option to Sumter County by TO.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:06 PM
Sage

Thank You for all the PM's.

I know, I know......................let it go, someone has an agenda!!!

I will make an attempt.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

I will make an attempt.

That "someone" will never let it go
Old 02-24-2021, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:

I will make an attempt.

The OP's posts remind me of virgins talking about sex...
Old 02-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
The OP's posts remind me of virgins talking about sex...
Old 02-24-2021, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

It is amazing the way that the frequent, “professional” posters on this site pile on someone who disagrees with them. All are frequent posters who have thousands of posts and favor the developer on every topic. Here are some facts. 2 out 3 voters in Sumter County voted the three incumbents up for reelection out of office in a landslide election. Residents of Sumter County are looking for increased impact fees. There are more of us than there are of you. The voters of Sumter County spoke. No matter how much pressure the developer and his allies put on us we are not caving in. The articles in the Daily Sun were pathetic and one sided. Villagers I spoke with laughed at the Daily Sun and the reporter who wrote the article. We want change to come to Sumter County and want a more equitable road impact fee.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
It is amazing the way that the frequent, “professional” posters on this site pile on someone who disagrees with them. All are frequent posters who have thousands of posts and favor the developer on every topic. Here are some facts. 2 out 3 voters in Sumter County voted the three incumbents up for reelection out of office in a landslide election. Residents of Sumter County are looking for increased impact fees. There are more of us than there are of you. The voters of Sumter County spoke. No matter how much pressure the developer and his allies put on us we are not caving in. The articles in the Daily Sun were pathetic and one sided. Villagers I spoke with laughed at the Daily Sun and the reporter who wrote the article. We want change to come to Sumter County and want a more equitable road impact fee.
Is a "professional" poster someone who has a different opinion than you do?

I think people voted out the previous commissioners because there was a 25% tax increase. The EMS team ran on the promise of "rolling back" the 25% tax increase. So... they have to deliver. I am assuming the EMS team is realizing that is a lot more difficult to deliver now that they are in office.

I would bet many Villagers don't fully understand or care about impact fees... they just want to roll back that tax increase. I would also bet the same Villagers would be outraged if businesses or UF-Shands decided not to come to Sumter County because of the increase in impact fees. I'm not sure who is paying for the new Southern UF-Shands structure, but it was the Developer that negotiated that agreement and put forth that vision... not the commissioners.

The EMS team has to learn how to negotiate. The Developer has presented a vision of a new hospital, new schools (for all those workers we need) and non-Villages housing for workers. It would be disappointing to see all of those things go away because there was a stalemate between the commissioners and The Developer.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
On January 19th, you stated the 25% would be rolled back by eliminating the Developer sweetheart impact fee deal. This is why you are so upset with EMS because they have not done it yet. There are probably more posts from you, you can search.

You are learning (finally), increasing the impact fee to 100% would give a partial reversal of the 25%. Maybe 2%. I know this 2% figure is a shock to you, but I'm glad you finally realize it. All this whining over a discount which equated to 2% increase.....what??, $50/year???

Your statement, "Imposing impact fees to cover ALL the Developer's infrastructure would allow a 100% rollback, conceptually." is totally wrong. (false premise, again) Included in the 25% tax hike was to cover increased operational expenses. These expenses are unrelated to the infrastructure costs. Increases the impact fee to cover 100% of the infrastructure costs will not cover increase in operating expenses.

Need expert opinions.................Google and call them. Call Tindale Oliver if you want. The 40% fee was presented as an option to Sumter County by TO.

I stand by what I said both in my post that you quote and elsewhere. You have the incredible ability to: (a) refute statements that I have never made, and (b) ignore the clear language of statements that I have made.

I have never said, anywhere, that merely raising the Developer's road impact fee on roads would finance the elimination of the 25% property-tax increase. Although the Developer certainly should pay 100% of the road impact fee, that by itself, will not be enough-- although you never explain the 2% figure that you throw out. As I have tried to explain to you, the Developer's sweetheart impact fee consists of paying an impact fee of 40% for county roads and 0% for his other county infrastructure. The current residents have been making up the shortfall through our property taxes.

To eliminate his sweetheart deal and allow an appropriate“rollback” (a term that both I and the EMS Team have used) will require the Developer not only to pay 100% of the cost of his county roads, but also pay 100% of the cost of his other county infrastructure. Calculating the amount of the total revenue that this will generate, as I have said repeatedly in response to your misstatements, will require an impact fee study. Once that study is done, it will be possible to determine the extent the the 25% property-tax increase can be rolled back-- maybe less than a 100% reversal but maybe even more. You don't know, and I don't know.

I am done responding to your half-baked comments and nitpicking posts that never really express your position on the real issue: Who should pay for the county infrastructure necessitated by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages-- the Developer or the current residents? Would you please read the Brookings report to which I gave you a link to so that you can understand why the answer to that question should be: “The Developer.” That is what the voters of Sumter County decided by a 2-to-1 margin in the last election.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I stand by what I said both in my post that you quote and elsewhere. You have the incredible ability to: (a) refute statements that I have never made, and (b) ignore the clear language of statements that I have made.

I have never said, anywhere, that merely raising the Developer's road impact fee on roads would finance the elimination of the 25% property-tax increase. Although the Developer certainly should pay 100% of the road impact fee, that by itself, will not be enough-- although you never explain the 2% figure that you throw out. As I have tried to explain to you, the Developer's sweetheart impact fee consists of paying an impact fee of 40% for county roads and 0% for his other county infrastructure. The current residents have been making up the shortfall through our property taxes.

To eliminate his sweetheart deal and allow an appropriate“rollback” (a term that both I and the EMS Team have used) will require the Developer not only to pay 100% of the cost of his county roads, but also pay 100% of the cost of his other county infrastructure. Calculating the amount of the total revenue that this will generate, as I have said repeatedly in response to your misstatements, will require an impact fee study. Once that study is done, it will be possible to determine the extent the the 25% property-tax increase can be rolled back-- maybe less than a 100% reversal but maybe even more. You don't know, and I don't know.

I am done responding to your half-baked comments and nitpicking posts that never really express your position on the real issue: Who should pay for the county infrastructure necessitated by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages-- the Developer or the current residents? Would you please read the Brookings report to which I gave you a link to so that you can understand why the answer to that question should be: “The Developer.” That is what the voters of Sumter County decided by a 2-to-1 margin in the last election.
Closed Thread

Tags
impact, county, developer, fees, tax

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.