Has SECO Energy caught up with you yet?

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2020, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Has SECO Energy caught up with you yet?

SECO Energy has informed us (via a door knocker) that we need to clear out the shrubs (hedge) that are in front of the transformer box that sits in the back of our property. SECO needs 10' of clearance in front of where the transformer box door opens and 3' on the other three sides of the transformer box. We will be hiring landscapers to do this job.

We were also told we need to clear 3 feet from the front and sides of our SECO meter which is located on the side of the house. We have to remove one shrub which is part of the hedge that runs along the side of our house to be in compliance.

We were informed that once we receive a letter stating that these shrubs must be removed, we have 30 days to complete the work. If we do not comply, our service may be interrupted. Have you been notified yet to remove shrubs in these locations on your property?
Old 10-09-2020, 06:20 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I know a neighbor who also had to do this.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

I guess if I planted around the boxes and meter and was later told to remove them that is what I would do. I'm sure it's a safety issue for their workers and meter readers.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
SECO Energy has informed us (via a door knocker) that we need to clear out the shrubs (hedge) that are in front of the transformer box that sits in the back of our property. SECO needs 10' of clearance in front of where the transformer box door opens and 3' on the other three sides of the transformer box. We will be hiring landscapers to do this job.

We were also told we need to clear 3 feet from the front and sides of our SECO meter which is located on the side of the house. We have to remove one shrub which is part of the hedge that runs along the side of our house to be in compliance.

We were informed that once we receive a letter stating that these shrubs must be removed, we have 30 days to complete the work. If we do not comply, our service may be interrupted. Have you been notified yet to remove shrubs in these locations on your property?
SECO addressed this issue in 2019 thread.

SECO News, October 2019 – SECO Energy
Old 10-09-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I guess if I planted around the boxes and meter and was later told to remove them that is what I would do. I'm sure it's a safety issue for their workers and meter readers.
We purchased our pre-owned home with all the shrubs in place and very healthy and mature. I'm sad to remove that beautiful hedge in front of the transformer box but I do know it is for the safety of the workers. I certainly will not like looking at a transformer box from my window.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
We purchased our pre-owned home with all the shrubs in place and very healthy and mature. I'm sad to remove that beautiful hedge in front of the transformer box but I do know it is for the safety of the workers. I certainly will not like looking at a transformer box from my window.
I may be wrong here but I think that you need only remove hedges from one side so the workers can stand and open the box if needed...unless yours are really covering the box??? We have been checked recently by them and we were o.k. to have them on one side.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I may be wrong here but I think that you need only remove hedges from one side so the workers can stand and open the box if needed...unless yours are really covering the box??? We have been checked recently by them and we were o.k. to have them on one side.
Ten feet in front, three feet on the other three sides. Yours must have been far enough away that they could stay.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
The door to the transformer box must have 10 feet of clearance. My shrubs are well within that so they must come out. The other three sides of the transformer box must have 3 feet of clearance. Again, my shrubs are too close even on the side so they must come out.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yes, you are wrong. 10 feet in front and 3 on sides and back must be clear. SECO has been lenient in enforcing this previously but no longer. In extreme cases of noncompliance they will turn off your power. Just read this information in the latest VCDD news
Old 10-10-2020, 04:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Understandable indeed.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:56 AM

Yes I received a letter in the mail. I may have a door knocker...but I am not at my residence ....But I got a letter advising me of the same. I have to send a picture to them at the site they gave me showing I have corrected the area.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister
Cool Seco

Yep. I got the notice and had to remove the vegetation as specified. We certainly don't want those SECO techies endangered by bushes and the sort growing around those transformers. There could be most anything lurking in there....snakes, lions, tigers, giraffes...who knows what. They can working on my transformer in total safety now.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:41 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default yep same here

Quote:

yep same here
Old 10-10-2020, 05:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBorden View Post
Yes I received a letter in the mail. I may have a door knocker...but I am not at my residence ....But I got a letter advising me of the same. I have to send a picture to them at the site they gave me showing I have corrected the area.
I'll be sending photos too when the work is completed.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
No you are wrong you need 3 feet on either side and 10 feet on the front. They had me take pictures with a tape measure to show compliance.
Closed Thread

Tags
seco, front, transformer, box, shrubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.