Has SECO Energy caught up with you yet?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2020, 06:54 AM

They can't turn off electricity during COVID-19. All utilities in State have made that agreement.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
SECO Energy has informed us (via a door knocker) that we need to clear out the shrubs (hedge) that are in front of the transformer box that sits in the back of our property. SECO needs 10' of clearance in front of where the transformer box door opens and 3' on the other three sides of the transformer box. We will be hiring landscapers to do this job.

We were also told we need to clear 3 feet from the front and sides of our SECO meter which is located on the side of the house. We have to remove one shrub which is part of the hedge that runs along the side of our house to be in compliance.

We were informed that once we receive a letter stating that these shrubs must be removed, we have 30 days to complete the work. If we do not comply, our service may be interrupted. Have you been notified yet to remove shrubs in these locations on your property?
Yep. In our neighborhood (about 10 years old) they’ve begun replacing those boxes. Our shrubs were builder planted, but not within the posted distances.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
SECO Energy has informed us (via a door knocker) that we need to clear out the shrubs (hedge) that are in front of the transformer box that sits in the back of our property. SECO needs 10' of clearance in front of where the transformer box door opens and 3' on the other three sides of the transformer box. We will be hiring landscapers to do this job.

We were also told we need to clear 3 feet from the front and sides of our SECO meter which is located on the side of the house. We have to remove one shrub which is part of the hedge that runs along the side of our house to be in compliance.

We were informed that once we receive a letter stating that these shrubs must be removed, we have 30 days to complete the work. If we do not comply, our service may be interrupted. Have you been notified yet to remove shrubs in these locations on your property?
We were contacted by SECO regarding plants being too close (less than 10') to the box in the yard. We were later told only 3' clearance was necessary. I haven't heard about clearances around the meter. You may want to get clarification from SECO regarding exactly what equipment is referenced on your property.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:26 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I got the notice. I moved the box and did not touch the scrubs.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:34 AM

Yes I also received the cleanup note. I hired someone to clear the area. Then I took a picture and sent it in and now I'm good.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

If there is a transformer next to your property, or if it appears to be on your property, you should be aware that you do not own that area. It is a utility easement. Many people don't understand that. If you can, get a plat of your lot with all the measurements, and you will see exactly where your property ends. Many people plant shrubs around the transformers to hide their "ugliness", and in the end, have to remove them.
As far as having shrubs around your house and close to the electric meter, they have no say about that except if they need to be able to access it or read it.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
If there is a transformer next to your property, or if it appears to be on your property, you should be aware that you do not own that area. It is a utility easement.

Hmmmmmm. A utility easement IS on "your" property.

What is a utility easement Florida?
An easement is a limited right to use the land of another. ... A common example of an easement would be to allow the Florida Power and Light Company to enter your land to provide utility services. Another example of an easement would be for the use of another's land to enter or exit their own property.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:09 AM

I had a door notice that a tree was too close to the front of the transformer box. I did nothing. About a month later they came and replaced the box with a shiny new one. They had no problem changing the boxes.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:19 AM
Default SECO paint

Will they supply the paint for the box? Ours is all stained, and faded. It looks terrible directly in the front of our house.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:39 AM
Default Call them and ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbuoy8 View Post
Will they supply the paint for the box? Ours is all stained, and faded. It looks terrible directly in the front of our house.
They are usually very agreeable and will let you know. Maybe they'll let you paint it?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 AM

Yes, we were informed of that a couple of years ago during the summer when we were not here. They actually removed the bushes, maybe things have changed?
Old 10-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I got the notice. I moved the box and did not touch the scrubs.

was that a funny ????
Old 10-10-2020, 09:01 AM

Actually we were told this with all transformers (SECO and what is now known as DUKE) when we purchased 23 years ago. They need quick access to their equipement. Also air needs to circulate around the equipment the same as your AC unit outside.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:33 AM
Default Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbuoy8 View Post
Yes they will repaint it. Give them a call. It will be Lady Bird Johnson green. She specified the green color for pad mount transformers and the gray color for pole mount transformers years ago. Today’s trivia history.

DeKalb, Illinois / Twin Cities, Minnesota
Old 10-10-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I guess if I planted around the boxes and meter and was later told to remove them that is what I would do. I'm sure it's a safety issue for their workers and meter readers.
I had to trim a very large hedge. I then had to send pictures to their website letting them know I was in compliance. I heard that they are going to start replacing the boxes.

Tags
seco, front, transformer, box, shrubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.