Has Your HVAC Maintenance Contract Gone Up in Price

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2023, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Has Your HVAC Maintenance Contract Gone Up in Price

We used a large HVAC maintenance company for several years at $200/year for twice yearly maintenance. We like the idea of preventative maintenance, plus the fact that if something quits working, they come out immediately.

A few years ago we switched to another company after the first company's serviceman tried to sell us a new system (which wasn't needed). The new company was charging us $189/year the first two years. This year they have upped their price to $225 for the same contract. That's quite a jump. I am wondering if others have had this experience with their maintenance companies. If not, I believe I should search for another company. If it's "normal," I am satisfied with their service.

Please I am not interested in suggestions to do our own maintenance. We want immediate emergency service, which we have had need of a few times in the past. We do change the filters ourselves.

I

Last edited by CFrance; 03-23-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:06 AM

Question: does the twice a year preventative maintenance cover/pay for the emergency calls?
Old 03-23-2023, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
plus the fact that if something quits working, they come out immediately.

We want immediate emergency service, .

Ask yourself do you really feel this is true?
Most good HVAC maintenance Co. will answer any emergency call
when needed, not just because your on their books.

I had one that came twice a year, then doubled the annual amount because
my unit was getting older.
I told them, "Not is this life-time."
Old 03-23-2023, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Question: does the twice a year preventative maintenance cover/pay for the emergency calls?
I don't know of any HVAC company who will cover emergency calls, or who will even "guarantee" to show up within a set time frame. Last year, when my system failed on a Saturday in July, Munn's showed up within 3 hours and repaired it. But, I don't even have a maintenance agreement with them.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

I agree. In fact, being on their books may make them less likely to give you priority, if they are trying to attract new customers.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

We don't get charged extra for emergency calls, and they respond immediately, no matter the time of day. I know people who have had to wait more than a day to get someone out.

I am just asking if any of those who have maintenance contracts have experienced a huge jump in their yearly contract price. I am not debating whether or not to have a maintenance contract.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We don't get charged extra for emergency calls, and they respond immediately, no matter the time of day. I know people who have had to wait more than a day to get someone out.

I am just asking if any of those who have maintenance contracts have experienced a huge jump in their yearly contract price. I am not debating whether or not to have a maintenance contract.
all these years in Florida, 3 differenct locations, we have never ever had a maintenence contract for HVAC. As there is nothing they can do to make the unit last any longer than it normally doesn't. Complete waste of money. The secret is change your filter every month (yes even these crap 4 inch ones), hose down your outside unit on the inside (in the sun) and alternate vinegar and bleach every time you change your filter(drain tube). You are only going to get so many years out of it and that's all.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. In fact, being on their books may make them less likely to give you priority, if they are trying to attract new customers.
Hate to say it: I agree. Loyalty doesn’t increase a company’s customer base or new revenue. But…..here in TV word travels pretty fast so a company has more of an incentive to maintain its reputation for service
Old 03-24-2023, 06:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

We have a service agreement with Munn's that includes two service visits each year, February and August. The technician (I request the same guy each time) does an excellent job, spending a little over an hour each time. We pay $140 total for the year, and that price has been constant for the past three years.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:11 AM

I was told never use vinegar in the drain line as it can cause leaks and the fumes come back up to the unit which is not good. I just use hot water then flush it with a hose just like the service guys do.
Just saying.
Munns has been great when needed
Old 03-24-2023, 06:23 AM

Yes, everything has gone up since Jan 2021. And maybe you received a promotional price for the first two years so the increase isn't as large as you think.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:11 AM
Default Hvac

We use Munn's. $139 for twice a year maintenance. They also cleaned all of our duct work and dryer vent last year. Very happy with their work and staff. You need to schedule early as they are usually booked months out.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I don't know of any HVAC company who will cover emergency calls, or who will even "guarantee" to show up within a set time frame. Last year, when my system failed on a Saturday in July, Munn's showed up within 3 hours and repaired it. But, I don't even have a maintenance agreement with them.
We've used Munn's since moving here. After the first visit we went with a six-month inspection plan which also meant we were on their "preferred" list, meaning that on emergency calls the people on that list got first crack at service. when needed. Cost a bit--not too much as I recall.

Our unit was near to 15 years old and we knew replacement was inevitable. A couple of months back on a Friday afternoon the unit simply quit working. We called Munn's, a tech was there within two hours of the call. He spent maybe two hours checking it out. Turned out one of the hoses (underground, of course) had given out. Munn's could run new hoses through the attic but time, labor and parts would set us back $1,700 or so. We discussed options with him: the new hoses and work would come with a one-year warranty. A new unit had a ten-year warranty, parts and labor. He contacted his office and said a rep. would be out on Monday.

A VERY pleasant and knowledgeable young lady, Rosalee, showed up promptly Monday morning. She looked things over and shot us a quote on a complete new system; AC unit, furnace, piping, installation, the works. $8,000 for the job but our utility company would rebate us $500 of that price. We asked when: she called her office, spoke to a few people about availability, scheduling, etc. etc. "Wednesday morning" was her answer. Good to her word, two techs showed up promptly at 8:00 AM Wednesday (Munn's had emailed us with a description; their experience, interests, etc.). They got to work. Old stuff out, new stuff in and running by noon. Very pleasant and polite techs, by the way. Interesting: our old unit, even when working, barely kept up. This new one sounds like a jet engine spooling up with near-instant results.

Can't say enough good things about Munn's.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
We've used Munn's since moving here. After the first visit we went with a six-month inspection plan which also meant we were on their "preferred" list, meaning that on emergency calls the people on that list got first crack at service. when needed. Cost a bit--not too much as I recall.

Our unit was near to 15 years old and we knew replacement was inevitable. A couple of months back on a Friday afternoon the unit simply quit working. We called Munn's, a tech was there within two hours of the call. He spent maybe two hours checking it out. Turned out one of the hoses (underground, of course) had given out. Munn's could run new hoses through the attic but time, labor and parts would set us back $1,700 or so. We discussed options with him: the new hoses and work would come with a one-year warranty. A new unit had a ten-year warranty, parts and labor. He contacted his office and said a rep. would be out on Monday.

A VERY pleasant and knowledgeable young lady, Rosalee, showed up promptly Monday morning. She looked things over and shot us a quote on a complete new system; AC unit, furnace, piping, installation, the works. $8,000 for the job but our utility company would rebate us $500 of that price. We asked when: she called her office, spoke to a few people about availability, scheduling, etc. etc. "Wednesday morning" was her answer. Good to her word, two techs showed up promptly at 8:00 AM Wednesday (Munn's had emailed us with a description; their experience, interests, etc.). They got to work. Old stuff out, new stuff in and running by noon. Very pleasant and polite techs, by the way. Interesting: our old unit, even when working, barely kept up. This new one sounds like a jet engine spooling up with near-instant results.

Can't say enough good things about Munn's.
I agree that Munn's is one of the best HVAC companies. If I need a new system, I will most likely use them, even if they are not the least expensive.

But, I am just curious. Does your maintenance agreement actually say, in writing, that your are on a preferred list for emergency calls, or was that just a verbal promise?
Old 03-24-2023, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I agree that Munn's is one of the best HVAC companies. If I need a new system, I will most likely use them, even if they are not the least expensive.

But, I am just curious. Does your maintenance agreement actually say, in writing, that your are on a preferred list for emergency calls, or was that just a verbal promise?
Verbal. But they did indicate that the times I've called them for service.
Closed Thread

Tags
company, contract, hvac, maintenance, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.