Have we lost our sense of appreciation?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2020, 07:56 AM
Default Have we lost our sense of appreciation?

Last night as I sat down with my wife for yet another lovely dinner I remarked that we are indeed fortunate, regardless of this worldwide event.
We have a home, food on the table, good health, healthy kids and grandkids, still able to do many things safely.

Then I read the discussions on TOTV and the subjects people are concerned about and I just have to shake my head. Are golf problems, market value, carts, seating at bars, lawn care that important to everyone? Have any of us had to stand in line for hours for food handouts? Make a choice between medicine and food? I would bet that 90% of the world's population would gladly take our places. Let's be thankful for what we have and not make "things" and $$$$ our main focus. If you would like to help someone perhaps you could donate part of that (probably not needed) stimulus check to a foodshelf.
Let's step back and show some appreciation for our good fortune!!!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Last night as I sat down with my wife for yet another lovely dinner I remarked that we are indeed fortunate, regardless of this worldwide event.
We have a home, food on the table, good health, healthy kids and grandkids, still able to do many things safely.

Then I read the discussions on TOTV and the subjects people are concerned about and I just have to shake my head. Are golf problems, market value, carts, seating at bars, lawn care that important to everyone? Have any of us had to stand in line for hours for food handouts? Make a choice between medicine and food? I would bet that 90% of the world's population would gladly take our places. Let's be thankful for what we have and not make "things" and $$$$ our main focus. If you would like to help someone perhaps you could donate part of that (probably not needed) stimulus check to a foodshelf.

....apparently it's SO MUCH easier to complain, moan, find faults, point fingers, be angry, grumble, whine, and generally be a glass-is-half-full (or empty) person.

I always say that if I would open a ToTV thread saying "what a beautiful day in The Villages", some would mention a cloud, wind, or certainly dog poop.

We are so fortunate, and so appreciate that every day.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Too often the minority (not race) seems to get all the play and often extrapolated to represent the general condition.

The posts/points are well taken. Most of us do feel fortunate and do appreciate every beautiful day here in TV and every where else.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:

Villagers are among the most spoiled people on earth. Beautiful clean parklike environment, nice homes and cars, amenities for miles, and most are retired with nice SS and pension checks deposited into their accounts each month. For some reason, a lot of them like to complain about something.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Villagers are among the most spoiled people on earth. Beautiful clean parklike environment, nice homes and cars, amenities for miles, and most are retired with nice SS and pension checks deposited into their accounts each month. For some reason, a lot of them like to complain about something.
No way! The vast majority of us Villagers work their butts off to live in a place as nice as TV.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:24 AM

So you’re complaining about people complaining.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
No way! The vast majority of us Villagers work their butts off to live in a place as nice as TV.
The whole world works their butts off, only a small percentage gets to retire in their 50s and 60s to a comfy lifestyle.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Veteran member

I was remarking to family members last week that I'm very grateful for my life. Born to a working class family who loved me. No poverty. Always had plenty to eat and a roof over my head. Was never abused, physically or sexually. I wasn't even bullied as a child. I quit jobs I hated and easily found others. No one mistreated me because of my race. No pogroms for me.

Yes, there's been sorrow and pain and I have a genetic disease that takes a physical toll, but honestly? I feel like I've pretty much floated gently through life, sometimes buoyed by my own hard work but also simply by happenstance and good fortune.

None of that precludes me from indulging in an exasperated rant every once in a while!
Old 05-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

AMEN.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-08-2020, 02:28 PM

I am very pleased to read many of these posts to my thread this morning. I think there are many people who are thinking in an appreciative manner and perhaps don't think it is necessary to express these feelings. Thank you all for the replies. I'm getting my "sense of appreciation" back.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

As I enjoy flying, I do look to the skies quite often and found this yesterday above the Lake Deaton Methodist Church. Called the church to ask if they knew anything about this message in the sky. They new nothing but were as pleased as I to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	4982
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	84027  
Old 05-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Food for thought based upon a previous life experience. Be careful about donating money and question where it goes. If donating to a food bank why not purchase the food and donate it. I hate to be a buzz killer but many times a cash donation can find it's way to drugs and alcohol. I had a friend that was a salesman in a not so good part of a city. The usual hey buddy can you spare some change for something to eat was common. MY friend was one of the most kind hearted person I ever met. His response sincerely was I won't give you cash but let's go to the diner and I'll buy you a meal.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As I enjoy flying, I do look to the skies quite often and found this yesterday above the Lake Deaton Methodist Church. Called the church to ask if they knew anything about this message in the sky. They new nothing but were as pleased as I to see it.
Yesterday about 1pm, walking back from the postal station, saw a plane write "TRUST" in the sky with the white smoke trail.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:51 PM

Well stated, clarinet.

I just returned from my barber, a one-man-salon, that is taking appointments.

He was without revenue during the month of April; and decided, what the heck, let them arrest me.

I totally understand.

I am so blessed.

I tipped him heartily.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Very very true
Closed Thread

Tags
food, things, make, good, appreciation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.