Have we lost our sense of appreciation?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2020, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

The simplest way not to have to deal with complaints and complainers is don't go on an internet forum and stick with reading The Villages Daily Sun. Maybe The Villages Daily Sun should start a new Happy Time Forum? This is The Internet. That's what happens on The Internet and it's been that way since Al Gore invented it.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Well stated, clarinet.

I just returned from my barber, a one-man-salon, that is taking appointments.

He was without revenue during the month of April; and decided, what the heck, let them arrest me.

I totally understand.

I am so blessed.

I tipped him heartily.
If you waited till Monday you wouldn't have been a felon.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:34 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Totally agree with you & thank you for reminding us. Best wishes to you & yours.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That's what happens on The Internet and it's been that way since Al Gore invented it.
You wouldn’t have been able to post that if Al Gore (or someone else) hadn’t pushed to have it opened up to everyone except government, education, and computer companies as it was when I first started using it in the 80s. AND, it was like that before Al Gore changed the world in the 90s. There were what were called “flame wars” on Usenet. There were flamers, trolls, and spammers back then.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As I enjoy flying, I do look to the skies quite often and found this yesterday above the Lake Deaton Methodist Church. Called the church to ask if they knew anything about this message in the sky. They new nothing but were as pleased as I to see it.
YES! i saw that, too. pretty cool, i thought. best part was not a cloud in the sky.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:12 AM

Thank you for your post. I have been saying it even before the virus that we are very fortunate and complaining about mundane things tells me you have too much time on your hands that could be used in something productive. Stay Safe.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:28 AM

A lot of people move to the Villages because of the active lifestyle it provides. While it is nice to enjoy all the OP mentioned, the activities and sports need to get back open so that people can get back to their preferred activity. A lot of people are here because of the quality of the program in The Villages. Softball is a perfect example. There is no program in the country that compares. If they are not going to offer it, then there is no reason for me to be here. I can play other places and live in a less expensive community. Your style may work for you but not for everyone. I appreciate what we have and can enjoy, but being locked down is not for me or a lot of others when it is not neccessary. Stop thinking selfishly about what makes you happy. TOV is for complaining, at least that's what it appears to be for.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Last night as I sat down with my wife for yet another lovely dinner I remarked that we are indeed fortunate, regardless of this worldwide event.
We have a home, food on the table, good health, healthy kids and grandkids, still able to do many things safely.

Then I read the discussions on TOTV and the subjects people are concerned about and I just have to shake my head. Are golf problems, market value, carts, seating at bars, lawn care that important to everyone? Have any of us had to stand in line for hours for food handouts? Make a choice between medicine and food? I would bet that 90% of the world's population would gladly take our places. Let's be thankful for what we have and not make "things" and $$$$ our main focus. If you would like to help someone perhaps you could donate part of that (probably not needed) stimulus check to a foodshelf.
Let's step back and show some appreciation for our good fortune!!!
This is the best post I have read on TOTV in a long time. You are right on. Too many people who think they are experts in every area are too willing to tell us what is wrong with everything in TV. Get a life. Yes, it is nice to be able to live in a nice community, with my wife of 58 years, and enjoy a comfortable life. We got to this point with lots of hard work our whole life. We lived through WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Polio, severe hurricanes on LI, viruses and other tragedies. It was not easy and we feel very badly for all those who lost their jobs or incomes, including some of our family. AMEN.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Villagers are among the most spoiled people on earth. Beautiful clean parklike environment, nice homes and cars, amenities for miles, and most are retired with nice SS and pension checks deposited into their accounts each month. For some reason, a lot of them like to complain about something.
We are lucky to have what we do here, but we did work hard to get the amenities that we have.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
As I enjoy flying, I do look to the skies quite often and found this yesterday above the Lake Deaton Methodist Church. Called the church to ask if they knew anything about this message in the sky. They new nothing but were as pleased as I to see it.
The plane also was flying over our office on Heald Way on Thursday. We got this message as well as many more. It was very uplifting.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:19 AM
Gold member

We are truly Blessed living here!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:

I too looked up and saw the "sky writer" writing his message and thought how lucky are we that someone decided to do this

we just need to roll with all of this...it isn't going to last forever

find joy in what you have...and give what you can to those that are in need

sometimes it takes a 'near death' experience for people to treasure what they have
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
So you’re complaining about people complaining.
LOL
Old 05-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Some people complain....others prefer to "comment".
Old 05-09-2020, 07:48 AM

Well, I busted my butt in consulting for 40 years, leaving the house at 3 AM on Monday and getting back in 10 PM on Fridays....working on admin tasks on Saturday, ready to go to bed at 7 PM Sunday.
So, if I earned the right to be a little spoiled....then.....EXCUSSSSE MEEEEE!
Closed Thread

Tags
food, things, make, good, appreciation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.