Have we lost our sense of appreciation?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ferguson View Post
Completely wrong! The whole world does NOT work their butts off. AND that is exactly why only a small percentage gets to retire to a comfy lifestyle!
I think you should be a lot more grateful, that you were born with an inherit privilege-that you seem unable to acknowledge.

I have seen people around the world, and even around this great country, that work harder every single day than most of us have ever had to do in an entire week. They do so with the sole hope of being able to make it to the next day, so they can try and provide for themselves and families (a retirement not even being a dream) and they know that they will be doing so every day for the rest of their lives. Their "retirement" comes when they die and they no longer have to suffer each and every day.

The difference between them and us, is that we were just lucky enough to have been born in the right place, with the right color of skin and opportunities that they will never have. After all, it's not like we did anything to earn the advantage and privilege we have, prior to being born.

To the OP, thanks for posting your observations, because they are dead on.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
My wife and I donated ALL of our stimulus check to two local charities......

I would encourage others to do the same.

I would speculate that 90 % of folks here don’t need it .......
We have done the same.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:54 AM

Amen!!!
Old 05-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Default Well said! We are truely blessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Last night as I sat down with my wife for yet another lovely dinner I remarked that we are indeed fortunate, regardless of this worldwide event.
We have a home, food on the table, good health, healthy kids and grandkids, still able to do many things safely.

Then I read the discussions on TOTV and the subjects people are concerned about and I just have to shake my head. Are golf problems, market value, carts, seating at bars, lawn care that important to everyone? Have any of us had to stand in line for hours for food handouts? Make a choice between medicine and food? I would bet that 90% of the world's population would gladly take our places. Let's be thankful for what we have and not make "things" and $$$$ our main focus. If you would like to help someone perhaps you could donate part of that (probably not needed) stimulus check to a foodshelf.
Let's step back and show some appreciation for our good fortune!!!
Well said!
Old 05-09-2020, 11:51 AM

Jesus loves you, was also in the sky that day.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
We have done the same.
That’s very kind of you.......

By posting your generosity may encourage others to do the same ......
Old 05-09-2020, 03:15 PM

My so-called privilege was being born the eldest of a family of 5, took an a paper route at age 10, and then took on another one at age 15 when my father passed away. Worked the routes year round and mowed lawns and worked at Woolworth's in the summer. There were many people of different ethnicities in my government subsidized housing project, some who worked like dogs and others who laid around and did nothing. So I am grateful for the fact that I was given the opportunity to decide whether to sit on my butt, or get off it. I had no more or less opportunity than my neighbors - although I can say that no one could out work the Wong family with 6 kids....even my dad who worked the post office 5 1/2 days a week and washed dishes in a restaurant on weekends.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:26 PM

To RUSTY.P
Heres one for you....
My daughters friend walked past a homeless person in NYC and the guy was begging for money. She had a banana on her and offered it to him. He said" No thanks, too much potassium!" True story!!!!!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:31 PM

Amen to that, my man!
Bob in Gilchrist
Old 05-09-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
No way! The vast majority of us Villagers work their butts off to live in a place as nice as TV.
You're absolutely correct. I guess I wasn't here the day they were handing out FREE HOUSES.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
The difference between them and us, is that we were just lucky enough to have been born in the right place....
Actually you were lucky enough to have ancestors that took a gamble, worked hard and moved to the "right place". I'm sure my ancestors had it just as tough, if not tougher than "Them" who you refer to.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the reminder.
Too often we take our lifestyles for granted and do not appreciate that even the availability of clean drinking water is a luxury for most of the world’s population.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Last night as I sat down with my wife for yet another lovely dinner I remarked that we are indeed fortunate, regardless of this worldwide event.
We have a home, food on the table, good health, healthy kids and grandkids, still able to do many things safely.

Then I read the discussions on TOTV and the subjects people are concerned about and I just have to shake my head. Are golf problems, market value, carts, seating at bars, lawn care that important to everyone? Have any of us had to stand in line for hours for food handouts? Make a choice between medicine and food? I would bet that 90% of the world's population would gladly take our places. Let's be thankful for what we have and not make "things" and $$$$ our main focus. If you would like to help someone perhaps you could donate part of that (probably not needed) stimulus check to a foodshelf.
Let's step back and show some appreciation for our good fortune!!!
Very well said.
Closed Thread

Tags
food, things, make, good, appreciation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.