Have you noticed how grouchy some hardware store checkout clerks are?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Founder
Default Have you noticed how grouchy some hardware store checkout clerks are?

I have always considered it to be fun to go to a hardware store. There are several good ones around. There is one near spanish springs where it seems the checkout clerks are always grouchy. The floor clerks are helpful as can be, but when it comes time to pay......the clerks, both young and old, seem to be less than enthused about the event. It kinda makes a person want to ask them why they don't find a job they like better.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Default Re: Have you noticed how grouchy some hardware store checkout clerks are?

Ace Hardware in the same shopping area as Belk's seems that way to me. The cashiers are very brusque. I don't go there anymore.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Have you noticed how grouchy some hardware store checkout clerks are?

I like to have fun with surly cashiers and clerks by "bridging". You can often gauge a persons demeanor before they even speak. Are they smiling, distant, tired, irritated, agitated....you get the idea. Body language telegraphs a lot. I make eye contact, smile and engage them in conversaton before they say a word. I compliment them...even if its undeserved. Sometimes they become more pleasant and are elevated from their funk and some are content to be miserable.

Here's a thought though, it takes one nasty customer to set the tone for the rest of the day for some employees.....some clerks can't seem to shake-off these negative events.....they seethe and spend the day brooding. Further, they can contaminate other employees with this attitude. These employees need to be identified and the boss needs to know. When we hire employees for our ice cream store, before we look at any other qualification, we look for happy, pleasing, personalities and those who genuinely like people. We rarely make hiring mistakes, but when we find out, we correct the problem. Tell the boss/owner in a courteous and matter-of-fact way...("hey...I like this place but there's something you need to be aware of") .....otherwise we contribute to maintenance of the status quo.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum member

When I looked at this message thread, I said to myself, they can't be referring to the Ace Hardware on 466? The two Ace hardware stores in The Villages, as you may already know, are not related--two different owners. The Ace on 466 is managed by a young lady named Barbara and she must set the tone for her employees. You're not going to find a manager and employees any more helpful and more eager to please than in that particular Ace Hardware store. You would think in a community with both Lowes and Home Depot, that ALL local hardware stores would bend over backwards to serve and please but I guess that's not necessarily the case. While JohnZ is right about a bad experience setting the tone for the rest of the day, I think it's also accurate to say that a good manager sets the standard.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Veteran member

Well said, gryoung. The employees will rise to the level of the expectations of the manager. Just as students will rise to the level of the teacher's expectation. There's no excuse for improper or incomplete training. Learning never stops.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 PM

You were right. I was NOT talking about Ace on 466. In that place of business I have been very impressed by the staff. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM

You would be grouchy too if you got paid the little wages that the Village buisnesses pay and had to deal with the grouchy customers.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Snowbirdgator....cool screen name! Low pay? Yes. Is this an excuse for being grouchy with customers? Definitely not! Golden rule.....we treat others like we want to be treated. When running a business serving customers many of whom are our neighbors, better....much better treatment, should be the rule. The customer may not always be right (and sometimes grouchy).....but they should always be served well, with a genuine smile and a y'all come back attitude. No exceptions.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandt
You were right. I was NOT talking about Ace on 466. In that place of business I have been very impressed by the staff. Thanks for clarifying.
I was not referring to the Ace on 466.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.