Have you received packages NOT requested, possible scam

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM

Three packages arrived for my daughter three days in a row - her name, but the address did not exist. This was in Ohio in a small town, so the postlady knows the name. The items were strange: a tool kit, paint brushes, and a cheap gaming piece. We notified the police and they came and took a report. We have heard nothing since.

The first item showed up as pending on her debit card. Fortunately, she is notified immediately of any charges on her card. The charge was from Walmart. She called both the bank and Walmart, but neither was helpful. However, the calls triggered something because the charge never went through. All products had a shipping label from return centers for Walmart, two from one place and one from another. It was very strange.

We had our daughter close that debit card and get a new one. Incidentally, she is a college student and doesn't carry much money in that account. It is also a good way for us to transfer her allowance to her and keep an eye on things. So, please, no comments about debit cards.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:09 AM
Default packages

I got a strut for a Chevy Equinox seriously, now I am trying to contact the company....but it is not on my credit card

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We received pkg. not requested, contacted supplier not sender for shipping label return, next day received another package from different supplier but the same sender who we do not know. Come to find out, packages sent were charged to stolen credit card, packages would have been redirected to overseas. Both companies thanked me for contacting them. They would have been out merchandise and credit card charge, now just shipping charge.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:59 PM

Received a small package on Tuesday via Fed Ex with my name and address. No paperwork inside. No tracking number on the envelope. No company name on the outside, only a PO Box number from Rosemead, CA. Didn't think anything about it as I have been waiting for other things to be delivered. Opened it up and it contained a Selfie Stick Integrated Tripod, and a pair of Wireless Earphones. Needless to say I didn't order either one of these things. I'm sure they weren't cheap, but I have tried to find out who the PO Box belongs to. PO said they can't help me, so I guess I will keep them.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Here is a story regarding this subject from BBC news site.
Scam has been around for some while.

The '''brushing''' scam that'''s behind mystery parcels - BBC News
Old 06-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Six months ago I received a FedEx envelope. The FedEx part was real. In the envelope there was an envelope with a letter and a sim card. The AT&T letter said they are sending me an updated sim card for my phone. I need to swap out the sim cards. The AT&T letter seemed suspect because it looked like it came out of a 1970s copy machine. I called ATT and they said to NOT install, scam. The sim card would have given the scammers my phone and the ability to call remotely with my phone. Pretty sophisticated scammers when they’re spending $15 on FedEx.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We received pkg. not requested, contacted supplier not sender for shipping label return, next day received another package from different supplier but the same sender who we do not know. Come to find out, packages sent were charged to stolen credit card, packages would have been redirected to overseas. Both companies thanked me for contacting them. They would have been out merchandise and credit card charge, now just shipping charge.
Funny that this concern came up now. Yesterday Fri. June 19th we got an email, not a delivery slip that they usually put in door. The email (FedX) wanted us to call them to see how we could package. We haven’t ordered anything from FedX for probably 8 to 10 yrs. If I would call any # I would call & look up the FedX # & call them myself not someone from India or someone that can’t speak good English. To make a long story short, the email message was put into File 13. Whatever the make believe package I got, they can enjoy whatever it is!
Old 06-19-2021, 11:31 AM

had 3 bookshelves delivered from Walmart.com. Called got return label for pick up which never came. Donated to neighbors and guess what 3 more showed up. Walmart wanted me to lug back to store. Put free on them on street scooped up hour later.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
True but do not think that crooks have to pass an IQ test.
Steal millions every year, hackers can very much pass IQ test. And then disappear into the night
Old 06-19-2021, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

I am ordering 1 item on line and receiving 2. Then when I try to contact company it's nearly impossible
Old 06-20-2021, 06:05 AM

Amazon Scam Warning: Beware of Deliveries You Didn't Order - Clark Howard
Closed Thread

Tags
received, packages, supplier, credit, shipping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.